“Dixieland Delight” Has Been Set Free

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Still, Alabama is the “Heart of Dixie”.

It’s kind of like, if “Born in the USA” is an anti-patriotic song, but everyone treats it like a patriotic song, is the joke on everyone, or is it on Bruce Springsteen that he utterly failed in his point?
Never a Springsteen fan I always thought he was a Fogerty wannabe. But as for the song I think most people like the chorus but many wanna to ignore the fact that it’s meant as sarcasm. It’s like Wrangler playing just the first two lines of “Fortunate Son” while ignoring the rest.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
To use the "F" word in public is classless and ignorant...shows a total disrespect for others. Earle, you are right on...this is not the image UA wants in any shape or form.
I totally agree. If for no other reason, people will be there with small children. It is classless and for me, it kind of "dumbs down" the whole experience.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I found a YouTube video of the 2014 IB when the song was played. The profanity was quite loud. I hope the school tried to investigate who the instigators were among the student section. The idea had to start among a handful of students and spread. I hope someone squealed. Disciplinary action needed to be taken.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
It is about blind nationalism, so those who suffer from blind nationalism miss it entirely.
I think it is more that people really don’t pay much attention to song lyrics other than the catchy chorus and the beat.

There are many examples: White Wedding, Summer of 69, Imagine, You’re Beautiful, 99 Luftbalons (ok so it’s in German), etc

People just run with the chorus, but if you stop and actually process the lyrics they are basically the total opposite of what people think the intent was. Also makes you realize what messed up people singers and songwriters are...

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Exactly!!! South Carolina, Wisconsin, and even (puke) Arbrun (puke) have great renditions to crank the stadium up.

Thanks Earle!

I think this is the answer. How many other songs would create excitement and maybe start a new tradition.

Heard someone on Twitter suggest the song "Let's go Crazy" by Prince.

The environment the Va. Tech creates with "Enter Sandman" is incredible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkwedgEH3gs

Surely Alabama is creative enough to figure something out other than shouting curse words in unison to a song that is about a Tenn. Sat. night.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I found a YouTube video of the 2014 IB when the song was played. The profanity was quite loud. I hope the school tried to investigate who the instigators were among the student section. The idea had to start among a handful of students and spread. I hope someone squealed. Disciplinary action needed to be taken.
The practice started way before that, but you have to see why that time was different than others.

1) it was the year after the Kick Six and they were tired of hearing about it

2) they were outed by LSU fans after our fans and administration made a big stink about how classless they were for Neck and the saban chant that year

3) Corso revealed the practice to the mostly oblivious season ticket holder that morning. I still can’t understand how all these fans had no idea what they were saying for atleast 7 years.

4) Scarbinsky wouldn’t let it go in the papers the whole year.

I think the 2014 IB was a little different because it became more noticeable to the national audience because they said F Auburn after ever every verse.

FWIW it didn’t actually stop the practice. They have been chanting the added verses in unison during every game since. It’s actually made it worse than it was. They’ve also have played it during a few games since. The 2015 season opener and the 2015 Ole Miss game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Exactly!!! South Carolina, Wisconsin, and even (puke) Arbrun (puke) have great renditions to crank the stadium up.
They’ve made a few attempts since 2014, but the 3 problems still exists.

1) the students have fought back

2) the older crowd doesn’t like the choice

3) you can’t seem to manufacture traditions

Personally my favorite tradition that got folks pumped was the “enter Sandman” at the start of the 3rd quarter. But for some reason they stopped doing it the past 2 years.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Personally my favorite tradition that got folks pumped was the “enter Sandman” at the start of the 3rd quarter. But for some reason they stopped doing it the past 2 years.
You never know when something will resonate with the fans, so you just play songs and see what works. In the 90s the NY Yankees played Cotton-Eyed Joe. The fans loved it and it is still a part of their late inning routine there. Cotton-Eyed Joe - in NYC. Yeah, you never know.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You never know when something will resonate with the fans, so you just play songs and see what works. In the 90s the NY Yankees played Cotton-Eyed Joe. The fans loved it and it is still a part of their late inning routine there. Cotton-Eyed Joe - in NYC. Yeah, you never know.
They really tried to push the song “Ole Alabama” by Brad Paisley in 2016 and it didn’t work.

The thing is I believe they will probably find something but you’ll run into the same issues down the line.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
It's a shame the"f" word has gotten such a bad wrap. MAN I love that word.

Add it to the list of things being done that, in my opinion, cheapen the BDS and fan experience:

-booing the other team (seriously, aside from maybe auburn and Tennessee, it felt downright embarrassing at the TAMU game, with groups of their cadets both on the sidelines and in the stands.)

-a train horn, purge movie purge commencement sound, the elephant trumpet (I was there the first time Bama ever played it (in 15 I think) and it was awful then, "awfuler" now.

-they have the ability to block whatever audio they want for broadcasting. If it's an issue of our public perception, there you go. Five second delay and tada, the nation won't great, except on the YouTube video someone will eventually post.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
It's a shame the"f" word has gotten such a bad wrap. MAN I love that word.

Add it to the list of things being done that, in my opinion, cheapen the BDS and fan experience:

-booing the other team (seriously, aside from maybe auburn and Tennessee, it felt downright embarrassing at the TAMU game, with groups of their cadets both on the sidelines and in the stands.)

-a train horn, purge movie purge commencement sound, the elephant trumpet (I was there the first time Bama ever played it (in 15 I think) and it was awful then, "awfuler" now.

-they have the ability to block whatever audio they want for broadcasting. If it's an issue of our public perception, there you go. Five second delay and tada, the nation won't great, except on the YouTube video someone will eventually post.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The elephant trumpet has been a thing for years. At least since 2008. And yeah I’ve never been a huge fan of it.

For the record, the DD chant has also been going on since 2008, but got more “elaborate” as time went on. Started out with just “on beer” “against the wall” and the other parts were just “roll tide”. The Auburn part got added in after 2010 (wonder why). LSU was added a year or so later shortly followed by Tennessee and the munch part got added then too. Obviously these were started by a few individuals and eventually everyone just joined in. It would have had to have been policed then to nip it imo.

I have never been a fan of the F everybody additions but I simply don’t know how you stop it now. They’ve latched onto it and now any attempt to clean it up will be seen as a challenge. At least they haven’t grafted it on to Sweet Home Alabama yet.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.

They played Enter Sandman tonight at the 3rd as Bama walked out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.