“Dixieland Delight” Has Been Set Free - Page 11
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Re: “Dixieland Delight” Has Been Set Free

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I’ve seen plenty of nearly naked people , alcohol carriers, and things that would make a preacher have a heart attack in Tuscaloosa on game days. The comparison wasn’t meant to be a direct comparison because anybody knows more is legal on Bourbon Street than in Tuscaloosa. The comparison is meant to show there is a lot of vices, obscenities, and bad language that are out in the open at both, and it’s not going to change because of just of one thing. It is your choice to subject your family to those things
    I want to be able to take my 11 year old or grandmother (she’s long passed) to the game without hearing the expletives shouted by the student section. We just disagree here and it is what it is. IMO it’s embarrassing to me as an alumnus that our student section does this. I can’t help that or reason it away, it’s the way I was raised.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    I want to be able to take my 11 year old or grandmother (she’s long passed) to the game without hearing the expletives shouted by the student section. We just disagree here and it is what it is. IMO it’s embarrassing to me as an alumnus that our student section does this. I can’t help that or reason it away, it’s the way I was raised.
    Where exactly are we disagreeing in terms of DD?

Quote Originally Posted by LSUgrad2BamaDad View Post
    What I don’t get is why bring it back for this game? If you’re going down go down in glory and bring it back for Auburn and as Kramer would say, let the expletives fly.
    As someone above mentioned, I also suspect this is an effort to appease Saban, who wants the crowd to be raucous at home games no matter who the foe is.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LSUgrad2BamaDad View Post
    What I don’t get is why bring it back for this game? If you’re going down go down in glory and bring it back for Auburn and as Kramer would say, let the expletives fly.
    Homecoming, would be my guess.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

I want to be able to take my 11 year old or grandmother (she’s long passed) to the game without hearing the expletives shouted by the student section.
    I think many / most here agree with you, but it's simply not the way society is anymore. As I've said, I've heard coarser and more language from angry fans in the stands around me than the mass of students being immature young adults.

But what I want doesn't really mesh with the world we live in now.

So while I think most agree it would be nice if the students don't chant this stuff, there's not really a lot we can do to stop it, other than not playing the song (which frankly, I've been fine with - I don't like the song anyway).
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I want to be able to take my 11 year old or grandmother (she’s long passed) to the game without hearing the expletives shouted by the student section.
    You want something that never existed. My whole life I have seen drinking and cursing at football games.

B1G was a "bottle" baby...
    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    You want something that never existed. My whole life I have seen drinking and cursing at football games.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I remember going to legion field and smelling smoke, liquor, and crap all through the game. Those “good ole days” really weren’t much better they actually were in many cases worse.

I think people have their own sets of standards for class and morality, but it seems many can’t understand that their way of thinking isn’t the only way.

Sure I wish the students wouldn’t do it, but there are far worse things going on a game day than a unison Fbomb. I think like CA said many folks just choose to ignore the other things in order to keep the “family” environment.

In my four years in Tuscaloosa the student section never shouted an expletive en mass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame

In my four years in Tuscaloosa the student section never shouted an expletive en mass.

Was there drinking and cussing in the stands?

I think you are missing the point we are making and just focusing on DD.

Was there drinking and cussing in the stands?
    Yes ... some of it by me. But I don’t take my family to the student section.

Look, there’s a huge difference in what an individual does and what the student section does.

LOL!!! I thought you said "selling"!!! LOL
    I remember going to legion field and smelling smoke, liquor, and crap all through the game. Those “good ole days” really weren’t much better they actually were in many cases worse.

I think people have their own sets of standards for class and morality, but it seems many can’t understand that their way of thinking isn’t the only way.

Sure I wish the students wouldn’t do it, but there are far worse things going on a game day than a unison Fbomb. I think like CA said many folks just choose to ignore the other things in order to keep the “family” environment.
    Last edited by The Ols; October 12th, 2018 at 05:43 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Yes ... some of it by me. But I don’t take my family to the student section.

Look, there’s a huge difference in what an individual does and what the student section does.

Yes, but that hasn’t been the point Big, me, and others have been making against the aspect of “family environment”.

At BDS I’ve seen coeds flashing minors, fights, racial slurs within earshots of young kids, alcohol being thrown on folks, people soiling themselves, passing out drunk,etc. There are a lot more issues on morality and more bad things these young children being exposed to than a chanting added lyrics.

Point is:

1) just about no one is condoning this behavior by the students

2) we are talking about the “family” experience as a whole not just what the students do.