“Dixieland Delight” Has Been Set Free

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Can’t see how this would keep students in the stands into the 4th quarter. If they want to hear the song they’ll just pull it up on YouTube. It’s not like back in the day when we’d spend HOURS glued to MTV just waiting til they played the Thriller video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
People aren't excited for the song only because they want to hear the music.
Dixieland Delight is about audience engagement and participation.
Nobody sits at home and watches Rocky Horror Picture Show on DVD, either.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Dixieland Delight is about audience engagement and participation.
Nobody sits at home and watches Rocky Horror Picture Show on DVD, either.
several years ago i ran across rocky horror on tv late at night. it got awkward when i started doing the time warp by myself and i turned the tv off and went to sleep.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I guess I'm just getting too old in that I don't understand why younger generation cares so much about this song, but if this is what it takes to get the students back in their seats so be it.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
In my limited research on this, I believe Dixieland Delight was banned circa 2014. My son, who didn't step foot in BDS until 2016 is fully aware of the added lyrics by the students so any thought of waiting for a new crop of students that don't know the additions is not realistic.

At LSU, we have our own banned song, "Neck". One of the things that made it great was it was the band and not piped in music. You can youtube it to see what the STTDB stands for that our students added. It was "banned" in 2010 or so, but occasionally makes an appearance, like last year when Odell Beckham watched a game from the student section and told the band he would pay the fine, so they played it. Our stadium rocks when that song is played and we went so far as to have players beg the students not to chant the vulgarity. LSU distributed literature requesting we keep it clean. None of that works with 18-23 year olds.

It's a shame that two awesome bands, MDB and The Golden Band from Tigerland, are no longer the centerpiece of the game day experience. Now, let me go yell at someone who is on my lawn.
Yeah maybe it is just because I am no longer a student sitting one section over from the band, but the last Bama game I went to I wasn’t even sure if the band was playing or not. It was all piped in music. And when the band did play rammer jammer they piped that over the speakers but it just made the whole thing out of sync.

As far as student attendance goes and whether we cater to what student want or not, I think a lot of people forget that the football team is the University of Alabama- football team. This isn’t the NFL, it is a school. While I want the students to stay the whole game, talk of stripping students of their seats and taking away all the songs and traditions they like as though they are just lucky to be able to walk through the gate is just wrong imo. The University needs to be about students first, then everyone else.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah maybe it is just because I am no longer a student sitting one section over from the band, but the last Bama game I went to I wasn’t even sure if the band was playing or not. It was all pipes in music. And when the band did play rammer jammer they piped that over the speakers but it just made the whole thing out of sync.

As far as student attendance goes and whether we sound so what student want or not, I think a lot of people forget that the football team is the University if Alabama- football team. This isn’t the NFL, it is a school. While I want the students to stay the whole game, talk of stripping students of their seats and taking away all the songs and traditions they like as though they are just lucky to be able to walk through the gate is just wrong imo. The University needs to be about students first, then everyone else.
For the Spring game I sat in the South Zone, right next to the band, and it was awesome! For Ark State I sat in the North Zone and could hear them a little, but barely. For aTm I sat in the upper deck on the 50 yard line on the Alabama side of the field and the sound of anything from the band was a mess with the speakers.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yeah, the stadium was not exactly designed with musical acoustics in mind -- nor was the siting of the seats for the MDB. Visitors to this site are dedicated hard core football fans. I get that we impress that attitude on the whole 100,000+ that come to the games. That's not realistic, or maybe even fair. I know some guys who work for pro sports teams. They will tell you that for the majority of the fans, it's not really about the specific play of the game or even the outcome. It's about whether you had a fun and entertaining experience, specifically one that will make you want to return, consider buying season tickets, and recommend the experience to your friends.

The more times the University does things to make that experience less fun/entertaining in the perception of the fans, the more harm they do. And it seems like my alma mater is developing a terrible tin ear in this area -- prices are going up, tailgating is worse than it used to be, the motor home contingent has been over charged and over regulated, the metal detector implementation was far more painful than it needed to be, some Barn fans and a few pearl-clutching alums whined because students wanted to yell the F Bomb during Dixieland Delight and Bill Battle eliminated it.... The drive to maximize profits and, frankly, act like an elementary school hall monitor is lessening the fan experience. I hope this is the beginning of some attention to that issue.

All that said, I don't expect the students to stick to the PG-rated version of DD this Saturday, resulting in the resumption of the ban. I hope no one who has complained about DD looks up the lyrics to Basketcase -- or attends an LSU game in Red Stick to hear what they say and sing -- they'd probably die of the vapors.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They had a chance if they only asked the kids to replace the F-bomb with Beat. A slight chance, but it existed and might have become the new norm over time. But this is not going to fly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.