“Dixieland Delight” Has Been Set Free - Page 4
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: “Dixieland Delight” Has Been Set Free

One week and then it will get pulled again and I'm okay with that. Maybe I'm old and in the minority, but it's just inappropriate.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    This whole controversy is an example of what happens when a sport that used to be about and for the students becomes a billion dollar industry. Now, rather than wanting the students to have fun, we want the students to "show class"? Like any of the people making these decisions acted differently when they were young?

This is why youth is for the young. As we get older we forget how to really LIVE.
    I think you probably have the best post of the thread. I think folks want to seriously believe there is this huge difference between Alabama and the Pittsburgh Steelers, but aside from pay for play and the students there really isn't. The MDB is almost non existent, and just an que to go to bathroom for most. Most of the stadium energy is driven by piped music and Cochran ques.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Or playing a certain C Murder song. Granted, no lyrics are played, but the song itself is pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny how things are. I honestly think someone somewhere else said the best compromise is for the PA announcer or the Beagle cheerleader to yell "Beat" when it comes to the part of "bad word Auburn". That way it is more drowned out, but yet you still have the song.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    Let the fans sing it how they want to sing it.
    Same thing for Rammer Jammer. Folks have tried to stop us from singing it for years.
    Yeah and the students still do the chant in acappella and its more noticeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkg View Post
    Can’t see how this would keep students in the stands into the 4th quarter.
    They look forward to it, and if they didn't then you wouldn't have the Sabans and football players trying to get it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa View Post
    One week and then it will get pulled again and I'm okay with that. Maybe I'm old and in the minority, but it's just inappropriate.
    For all of those wanting the students to stay this is what it was inevitably going to come to. If you want BDS loud then you need the students or else you have a stadium mostly filled with radio listening, sitting with blankets, and nacho eating older Tide Priders.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    For all of those wanting the students to stay this is what it was inevitably going to come to. If you want BDS loud then you need the students or else you have a stadium mostly filled with radio listening, sitting with blankets, and nacho eating older Tide Priders.
    Yep - young people are unfettered in their enthusiasm. They don't worry about the guy who wants to sit during the whole game sitting behind them. They stand and they cheer and they have fun. When the game is no longer fun, they leave.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Can’t see how this would keep students in the stands into the 4th quarter. If they want to hear the song they’ll just pull it up on YouTube. It’s not like back in the day when we’d spend HOURS glued to MTV just waiting til they played the Thriller video.
    They won't stay just for this, but they will stay if there are enough things like this happening throughout the game. Keep the students engaged, especially during the frequent and long TV timeouts.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    They won't stay just for this, but they will stay if there are enough things like this happening throughout the game. Keep the students engaged, especially during the frequent and long TV timeouts.
    Bingo. If you want the students to stay, you have to cater to them. It is what it is.

And while I'm not one to use foul language and preferred a time when people were more cautious about their use of it around others, this is who we are now as a society. You really can't expect to go anywhere anymore and not hear someone cursing, so if it bothers you that badly, enjoy the game from the comfort of your home on your big screen.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Bingo. If you want the students to stay, you have to cater to them. It is what it is.

And while I'm not one to use foul language and preferred a time when people were more cautious about their use of it around others, this is who we are now as a society. You really can't expect to go anywhere anymore and not hear someone cursing, so if it bothers you that badly, enjoy the game from the comfort of your home on your big screen.
    I agree.

I have my issues with this, but it’s the price you pay when you have such of an age divide between students and season ticket holders but still want a very loud stadium. Personally I don’t like the song for other reasons such as it being about Tennessee (did I ever mention I hate Tennessee). But at some point you have to give them something, and if this is what it takes to put butts in aisles then so be it.

BamaNation All-American

Man I wish I could go to this game now

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I agree.

I have my issues with this, but it’s the price you pay when you have such of an age divide between students and season ticket holders but still want a very loud stadium. Personally I don’t like the song for other reasons such as it being about Tennessee (did I ever mention I hate Tennessee). But at some point you have to give them something, and if this is what it takes to put butts in aisles then so be it.
    Kind of like Sweet Home Alabama not being a positive song about the state.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Can’t see how this would keep students in the stands into the 4th quarter. If they want to hear the song they’ll just pull it up on YouTube. It’s not like back in the day when we’d spend HOURS glued to MTV just waiting til they played the Thriller video.

People aren't excited for the song only because they want to hear the music.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Now there’s a debated topic for another board heh heh

But neither “Born in the USA” by Springsteen or “Independence Day” by Martina McBride are patriotic anthems, either. In fact, both are about abuse (veterans in one, children in the other).

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    It’s neither overly positive or negative, but I think a good chunk of the state has identified with it.

Music?!?
    On MTV?!?
    When was that?
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

I can see it either way, but I think the idea that, “Hey, we’re up by 30 and I want to leave but I’ll stay just to shout the F word” is a little ridiculous, too.

In all honesty, how many folks are on their phones the entire game? And that’s not only young folks. If I use my phone during a Bama game it’s usually for pictures, and I usually use my higher grade camcorder for that anyway.

That’s why I’m not too hard on the students leaving. Some of the fans physically there aren’t even “there”.

And also - I’ve been there when they’ve played “Wagon Wheel” by Darius Rucker, Which May be veiled but is pretty risqué in content as well.