“Dixieland Delight” Has Been Set Free - Page 5
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Re: “Dixieland Delight” Has Been Set Free

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    Music?!?
    On MTV?!?
    When was that?
    Something called the 80s, began almost 40 years ago. Bad music, bad hair, great times!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Something called the 80s, began almost 40 years ago. Bad music, bad hair, great times!
    May Bon Jovi have mercy on your soul for that slight. *blue*
    Last edited by 81usaf92; October 11th, 2018 at 08:15 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Also remember that catering to the student ticket holders is not a bad thing. They are customers, and they pay a lot of money for their seats (tuition, housing, books, etc). You have to keep your customers happy. If the product - and the product is more than game play - is inferior, they will leave. And, to be honest, I don't have a problem with it. It is their time to invest as they deem fit.

If you want them to stay, give them a product worth staying for. In games no longer in doubt (or never in doubt), give them a form of entertainment that will make them want to come out to the game and stay until that entertainment ends.

BamaNation First Team LSUgrad2BamaDad's Avatar

In my limited research on this, I believe Dixieland Delight was banned circa 2014. My son, who didn't step foot in BDS until 2016 is fully aware of the added lyrics by the students so any thought of waiting for a new crop of students that don't know the additions is not realistic.

At LSU, we have our own banned song, "Neck". One of the things that made it great was it was the band and not piped in music. You can youtube it to see what the STTDB stands for that our students added. It was "banned" in 2010 or so, but occasionally makes an appearance, like last year when Odell Beckham watched a game from the student section and told the band he would pay the fine, so they played it. Our stadium rocks when that song is played and we went so far as to have players beg the students not to chant the vulgarity. LSU distributed literature requesting we keep it clean. None of that works with 18-23 year olds.

It's a shame that two awesome bands, MDB and The Golden Band from Tigerland, are no longer the centerpiece of the game day experience. Now, let me go yell at someone who is on my lawn.
    "(The Campus Catholic Sudent Center) is going to be our legacy, Terry and I's legacy, that we're going to be as proud of as anything we've ever accomplished," -Nick Saban
    " I come in peace" -WSIV70 (my old user name)

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Kind of like Sweet Home Alabama not being a positive song about the state.
    Now those are fighting words!

Seriously though, that song may contain anthems that aren't politically correct, but it was written and understood as a positive song about the state. I've never heard anyone say it wasn't positive.

And Dixieland Delight is a good song too. Alabama is one my favorite all-time bands, even though I'm not a huge country fan. I'm just not a fan of the ignorant vulgarity. I also don't think the song's banning has anything to do with all the empty seats, and I think that will prove itself out over time. If this is what it takes to get young people engaged these days, well so be it I guess. I'll be over here yelling at clouds.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by LSUgrad2BamaDad View Post
    In my limited research on this, I believe Dixieland Delight was banned circa 2014. My son, who didn't step foot in BDS until 2016 is fully aware of the added lyrics by the students so any thought of waiting for a new crop of students that don't know the additions is not realistic.

At LSU, we have our own banned song, "Neck". One of the things that made it great was it was the band and not piped in music. You can youtube it to see what the STTDB stands for that our students added. It was "banned" in 2010 or so, but occasionally makes an appearance, like last year when Odell Beckham watched a game from the student section and told the band he would pay the fine, so they played it. Our stadium rocks when that song is played and we went so far as to have players beg the students not to chant the vulgarity. LSU distributed literature requesting we keep it clean. None of that works with 18-23 year olds.

It's a shame that two awesome bands, MDB and The Golden Band from Tigerland, are no longer the centerpiece of the game day experience. Now, let me go yell at someone who is on my lawn.
    They did play it during a commercial break at the 2016 Bama-LSU game. It’s still pretty cool how the crowd is for that song.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

I’m in the minority here too. At least play DD during a commercial break so it’s not on TV. Times have certainly changed a lot since I was a student. I sat through four years of blowouts and don’t remember the student section completely emptying out. I did plenty of cussing as a student but not in public, around women or in church.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

When you often have the coach up on the jumbo screen shouting the same cuss words, it's seems a little hypocritical to make an issue out of the language the students might use. Granted, we don't actually hear the words Saban uses on the sidelines, but it's lip-reading 101 to catch what he's saying.

If blue language is good enough for the coach, why not the students too? It doesn't bother me coming from either.

BamaNation All-American

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Yeah, heard that was a crazy night.
    Quote Originally Posted by TiderMan View Post
    2013 LSU vs Alabama game - One of the loudest renditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIas9CZvsZ0

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirkg View Post
    Can’t see how this would keep students in the stands into the 4th quarter. If they want to hear the song they’ll just pull it up on YouTube. It’s not like back in the day when we’d spend HOURS glued to MTV just waiting til they played the Thriller video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    People aren't excited for the song only because they want to hear the music.
    Dixieland Delight is about audience engagement and participation.
    Nobody sits at home and watches Rocky Horror Picture Show on DVD, either.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Dixieland Delight is about audience engagement and participation.
    Nobody sits at home and watches Rocky Horror Picture Show on DVD, either.
    several years ago i ran across rocky horror on tv late at night. it got awkward when i started doing the time warp by myself and i turned the tv off and went to sleep.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    Music?!?
    On MTV?!?
    When was that?
    You know when.....

Since Bruce Springsteen, Madonna
    Way before Nirvana
    There was U2 and Blondie
    And music still on MTV

1985 - Bowling for Soup