“Dixieland Delight” Has Been Set Free

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Not bothered by the current rendition personally but Auburn Sucks would work just as well (moreso than Beat Auburn), still be fun thing to shout & not cause any drama.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Trying to “legislate” behavior of drunks is a noble endeavor (Blue font).
I’ve never understood why they play it anyway - with the legit lyrics. Just doesn’t seem like a song for a football game. I know it’s a tribute to the group, but still...if you’re playing a song to appeal to the libido of drunks, Jimmy Buffet has a good one and he’s from Alabama (not sure if he’s a fan, he went to USM).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Yes if Greg has a backbone, but I dont think it was really his decision to do it. I believe it was CNS, and I believe he really doesnt care if the F bomb is in there or not as long as the stadium is rocking

This is more of a different topic, but the major argument the older crowd has used against Dixieland Delight has been "BDS is a family friendly enviroment" which it depends on your tolerance for drinking, cussing, and hooliganism.

Yeah but it still happens and the university doesnt ban those students. Neck is still played, and Dixieland's added lyrics are still chanted during games.

I disagree, Movies and TV during recent years are filled with it.

Dixieland was probably on national tv only twice to my recollection with the obscenity out in the open and they were the same day. Iron Bowl 2014. It is almost always during the start of the 4th quarter.

No we are not.

Yeah Im just not buying that without some facts to support that. If that was true then "fans"7 nation army lady, Updyke, and the Krystal man wouldve put a serious dent in our student body

Maybe maybe not.
You are way out of touch with reality here in the south if you disagree with or discount anything Earl said above. He is dead on about this whole topic. You dont have to agree with him and others of us who have the same beliefs but you are way off of this if you don’t think there is a large population in the south that agrees with us.

I almost fell out of my chair reading your quote about movies amd Tv and how those represent southern family morals and beliefs.

Now, I dont think this goes over well because college kids do as they please. If they are smart they will play the long con and follow the rules till the barn comes to town. Then they get their money’s worth.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You are way out of touch with reality here in the south if you disagree with or discount anything Earl said above. He is dead on about this whole topic. You dont have to agree with him and others of us who have the same beliefs but you are way off of this if you don’t think there is a large population in the south that agrees with us.

I almost fell out of my chair reading your quote about movies amd Tv and how those represent southern family morals and beliefs.

Now, I dont think this goes over well because college kids do as they please. If they are smart they will play the long con and follow the rules till the barn comes to town. Then they get their money’s worth.
I think you need to simmer down because nothing I said warranted such a post. I just merely disagreed with certain aspects of his post. He left it as he “agree to disagree” and you probably should follow suit instead of being the morality police.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If they don't/won't, then they deserve having it taken away again. That's it, period. I'm a person who's been known to let some blue language drop from time to time, in private or, at least semi-private. Yes, there has always been drinking and cussing in the stands and always will be. This is really not the point. Having the band play and then pause for a quasi-sexual obscenity to be chanted in a coordinated fashion is a totally different matter. It makes it appear that the university is complicit in it. Like it or not, to a huge slice of the nation, the F-bomb is deeply offensive and always will be. Also, it's on national TV. From reading, I assume many of you are perfectly happy with that image of the university. I'm not. I can tell you that there are many parents across the country who would summarily cross off UA as a possible destination for their kids, on the basis of this alone. It really just looks/sounds really, really low class. Maybe just my opinion, but I can assure you I'm not in a tiny minority...
Thanks Earle!

surely someone can think of something better to hype the crowd up.. i see other schools do their thing and even recruits are amazed at how "lit" it is in the stadium. I've never seen a recruit mention how great it was when Dixieland Delight was playing..the added profanity makes it even worse. I for one hope they screw it up and it goes away for good
I think this is the answer. How many other songs would create excitement and maybe start a new tradition.

Heard someone on Twitter suggest the song "Let's go Crazy" by Prince.

The environment the Va. Tech creates with "Enter Sandman" is incredible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkwedgEH3gs

Surely Alabama is creative enough to figure something out other than shouting curse words in unison to a song that is about a Tenn. Sat. night.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I think you need to simmer down because nothing I said warranted such a post. I just merely disagreed with certain aspects of his post. He left it as he “agree to disagree” and you probably should follow suit instead of being the morality police.
Simmer down? 😂

I dont think my post was any more subjective or presumptuous than yours was. Nor did I break apart your whole post and pick at each part as you did Earl’s, like he was on the witness stand or something. He definitely doesn’t need my speaking up for him, but I was speaking for others of us who you did discount as being relavent.

LOL at the “morality police” comment. Did you not read my full post? I even suggested the students should play it smart and get their moneys worth against the Barn. That doesn’t sound like something from the morality police. I dont agree with vulgar language, and definitely dont use it personally. And I agree there are families and kids at the games that should not be subjected to it. But the reality is, its not going anywhere. So the parents have to make that decision of whether or not to go and take their kids. And I can tell you from experience. There are hundreds and likely tens of thousands of parents that would not take their young kids to college and pro sporting events because of the foul language. That is their choice but its real.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Simmer down? 😂

I dont think my post was any more subjective or presumptuous than yours was. Nor did I break apart your whole post and pick at each part as you did Earl’s, like he was on the witness stand or something. He definitely doesn’t need my speaking up for him, but I was speaking for others of us who you did discount as being relavent.

LOL at the “morality police” comment. Did you not read my full post? I even suggested the students should play it smart and get their moneys worth against the Barn. That doesn’t sound like something from the morality police. I dont agree with vulgar language, and definitely dont use it personally. And I agree there are families and kids at the games that should not be subjected to it. But the reality is, its not going anywhere. So the parents have to make that decision of whether or not to go and take their kids. And I can tell you from experience. There are hundreds and likely tens of thousands of parents that would not take their young kids to college and pro sporting events because of the foul language. That is their choice but its real.
Show me where you don’t agree instead of basically calling me a moron. I just simply disagreed with some things Earle said, and wasn’t a donkey about it or did I insinuate he was an idiot like your post suggested about me. It’s not what you say it’s how you say it.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Simmer down? [emoji23]

It’s their choice, indeed. And it’s life and the state of our world.
And none of these venues are suffering due to the absence of those offended by the behavior of the “rowdies”. And that behavior is not going to change because the vast majority either approve, accept, tolerate or choose to ignore such behavior.
Dylan said “you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows”. If you don’t like the direction, you can escape the breeze but odds are you won’t change the direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Show me where you don’t agree instead of basically calling me a moron. I just simply disagreed with some things Earle said, and wasn’t a donkey about it or did I insinuate he was an idiot like your post suggested about me. It’s not what you say it’s how you say it.
I will bow out as well at this point because this is not adding to the group discussion. Keep in mind I called no one any names, and I have been called the morality police and a donkey in return for my own personal thoughts.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
My mother-in-law couldn't pronounce Fuddrucker's (restaurant). She rarely got the first syllable out correctly, and would try to correct and do it again, and again. She was somewhat naive and didn't really appreciate why we thought it was so funny, barely concealing our laughter. Bless her heart.

Come Saturday night, I am not so much anticipating what words will be used, but the roar when they strike up the music. I'm sure it will be another great Bryant-Denny moment to remember.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My mother-in-law couldn't pronounce Fuddrucker's (restaurant). She rarely got the first syllable out correctly, and would try to correct and do it again, and again. She was somewhat naive and didn't really appreciate why we thought it was so funny, barely concealing our laughter. Bless her heart.

Come Saturday night, I am not so much anticipating what words will be used, but the roar when they strike up the music. I'm sure it will be another great Bryant-Denny moment to remember.
Lol the movie idiocracy makes me chuckle everytime I pass a fudruckers and cry for the future that is outlined for us. ;)

But anyways the DD is not the highlight of the night so I probably won’t pay too much attention to it. RTR

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I never understood the "love affair" with the song. It doesn't mention Alabama at all. It does mention Tennessee.
Still, Alabama is the “Heart of Dixie”.

It’s kind of like, if “Born in the USA” is an anti-patriotic song, but everyone treats it like a patriotic song, is the joke on everyone, or is it on Bruce Springsteen that he utterly failed in his point?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Still, Alabama is the “Heart of Dixie”.

It’s kind of like, if “Born in the USA” is an anti-patriotic song, but everyone treats it like a patriotic song, is the joke on everyone, or is it on Bruce Springsteen that he utterly failed in his point?
It is about blind nationalism, so those who suffer from blind nationalism miss it entirely.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
TIFWIW, but Greg was on 3 Man Front in Birmingham today to discuss the decision. He said he and the SGA president met with all fraternity and sorority presidents the night the announcement was made. They all said they wanted the song back, and he told them they have a part to play in making sure the changes happen.

Maybe the students surprise and do what is asked of them. I'm not sure they will, but they very well could.
I suspected this might be the case. However, the students like Dixieland Delight because they get to be a little raunchy with some chants. Take that away and they won’t give two flips about the song playing.

Overall I’m just disappointed that a lot of fan participation has been sucked out of the whole game experience. No cheers, no band songs, just piped in pop music over every last break in action. If they wanted to get it back with DD they are doing it wrong.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
If they don't/won't, then they deserve having it taken away again. That's it, period. I'm a person who's been known to let some blue language drop from time to time, in private or, at least semi-private. Yes, there has always been drinking and cussing in the stands and always will be. This is really not the point. Having the band play and then pause for a quasi-sexual obscenity to be chanted in a coordinated fashion is a totally different matter. It makes it appear that the university is complicit in it. Like it or not, to a huge slice of the nation, the F-bomb is deeply offensive and always will be. Also, it's on national TV. From reading, I assume many of you are perfectly happy with that image of the university. I'm not. I can tell you that there are many parents across the country who would summarily cross off UA as a possible destination for their kids, on the basis of this alone. It really just looks/sounds really, really low class. Maybe just my opinion, but I can assure you I'm not in a tiny minority...
To use the "F" word in public is classless and ignorant...shows a total disrespect for others. Earle, you are right on...this is not the image UA wants in any shape or form.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Overall I’m just disappointed that a lot of fan participation has been sucked out of the whole game experience. No cheers, no band songs, just piped in pop music over every last break in action. If they wanted to get it back with DD they are doing it wrong.
They could learn a ton from the guys who ran the crowd entertainment side of the business for the original Arena Football League and the XFL. Those games were fun, no matter what happened on the field, you had a good time at the games.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They could learn a ton from the guys who ran the crowd entertainment side of the business for the original Arena Football League and the XFL. Those games were fun, no matter what happened on the field, you had a good time at the games.
The funny thing about the XFL is that it actually made the entertainment of the experience better for football. Think about the revolutions it had with how we watch games. It’s actually incredible it took Vince McMahon to figure out how to properly shoot a football game.

But yes those leagues had fun experiences to offer but the problem is that they felt like glorified exhibition games because of the level of play.

Arena was insane concept that was super fun to go to. But still a lesser product than NFL and NCAA.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.