“Dixieland Delight” Has Been Set Free

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah it was a smart move. I think CNS and the players wanted it back in and they came up with a great compromise. Let the students do their chant but drown it out with a PA and let the other folks go back to believing that they aren’t saying bad words.

But I guarantee you you are going to here really naughty words during the Auburn game if we start boat racing them.
ill be screaming them from my living room at the top of my lungs

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Considering this can be interpreted as force, I've been surprised throughout the entire discussion that this wasn't as much or more of a topic than the f bomb.
When the #MeToo movement takes over TF, I am gone.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Yesterday was the first game I’ve been to since they started playing it again. SUPER lame. I’d rather them not do it at all. The artificial lyrics they pipe over the PA system to overpower the crowd is so loud it’s pitiful.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yesterday was the first game I’ve been to since they started playing it again. SUPER lame. I’d rather them not do it at all. The artificial lyrics they pipe over the PA system to overpower the crowd is so loud it’s pitiful.
The problem is that they do it on more than the "screw Auburn" part. If that was the only part then it wouldn't be so bad, but hearing an artificial Roll Tide twice is pretty stupid.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Agree. I compared it to a watered down version of a $1.00 drink at happy hour. So lame. They don't every play the whole song. So disappointed. We did see Greg Byrne outside the stadium passing out #DixielandDelightDoneRight stickers. I think it's awesome that he interacts with fans, but he just needs to turn the students loose. Especially for the Iron Bowl.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Can someone explain why "Dixieland Delight" is so important? I'm very far removed from being a "student's age" but I just don't get the affinity for the song in it's original arrangement of the "added words."

FWIW, I've been to games before it was banned and it was embarrassing to hear the students chant those words. We generally see ourselves as "classy fans" but this tradition doesn't fit the mold. And no, I don't think it's anything like "Rammer Jammer" either.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Same here. You almost have to hold your ears loud! They don't want us saying beer, against the wall or the auBARN bit. I like the compromise to "beat auBARN" but if they're going to play that loud crap every time they play DD they might as well quit playing it again.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Can someone explain why "Dixieland Delight" is so important? I'm very far removed from being a "student's age" but I just don't get the affinity for the song in it's original arrangement of the "added words."

FWIW, I've been to games before it was banned and it was embarrassing to hear the students chant those words. We generally see ourselves as "classy fans" but this tradition doesn't fit the mold. And no, I don't think it's anything like "Rammer Jammer" either.
That’s almost like asking old timers and band parents “why is the MDB so important when Alabama has become a very NFL like atmosphere in the past 7-8 years?” Point is there is a significant portion of the fan base that likes it while there is a significant portion that wouldn’t care if it went away tomorrow. Same with Dixieland Delight.

As for classy fans.... I’ve had more issues with our fans going to games than going to other people’s house with the exception of UGA and Auburn.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That’s almost like asking old timers and band parents “why is the MDB so important when Alabama has become a very NFL like atmosphere in the past 7-8 years?” Point is there is a significant portion of the fan base that likes it while there is a significant portion that wouldn’t care if it went away tomorrow. Same with Dixieland Delight.

As for classy fans.... I’ve had more issues with our fans going to games than going to other people’s house with the exception of UGA and Auburn.
I know we differ about this...but I don't think your comparison to some not seeing a need for the band today is a good comparison because the band has been apart of Alabama football tradition for decades, DD has not. And, I've never heard one person make the argument that band isn't needed anymore.

Not sure what you mean with your last statement: As for classy fans.... I’ve had more issues with our fans going to games than going to other people’s house with the exception of UGA and Auburn.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I know we differ about this...but I don't think your comparison to some not seeing a need for the band today is a good comparison because the band has been apart of Alabama football tradition for decades, DD has not. And, I've never heard one person make the argument that band isn't needed anymore.

Then go with the Cigar tradition which has recently came under fireor whatever tradition you find lesser. You got the point. Some people feel certain traditions are more important than others. Personally I could care less if all we had was a football team and a field play, but some people like traditions other than just than just having a strong competitive football team.

Here it is with very little controversy, "There are a significant amount of fans that find the Dixieland Delight tradition important enough to keep, and so its here to stay under certain compromises."

FWIW the band IS almost a non factor in Bama football games today. Many MDB members, alumni, and parents have openly complained about that fact in recent years. Very few people watch halftimes, and pre game festivities these days. The piped music creates far more energy at BDS than the MDB in today's BDS. Alabama is a prep NFL atmosphere.

Not sure what you mean with your last statement: As for classy fans.... I’ve had more issues with our fans going to games than going to other people’s house with the exception of UGA and Auburn.
What do you not get about that quote?

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.