“Dixieland Delight” Has Been Set Free

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Was there drinking and cussing in the stands?
Yes ... some of it by me. But I don’t take my family to the student section.

Look, there’s a huge difference in what an individual does and what the student section does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
LOL!!! I thought you said "selling"!!! LOL:pDT_fly2:
I remember going to legion field and smelling smoke, liquor, and crap all through the game. Those “good ole days” really weren’t much better they actually were in many cases worse.

I think people have their own sets of standards for class and morality, but it seems many can’t understand that their way of thinking isn’t the only way.

Sure I wish the students wouldn’t do it, but there are far worse things going on a game day than a unison Fbomb. I think like CA said many folks just choose to ignore the other things in order to keep the “family” environment.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yes ... some of it by me. But I don’t take my family to the student section.

Look, there’s a huge difference in what an individual does and what the student section does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, but that hasn’t been the point Big, me, and others have been making against the aspect of “family environment”.

At BDS I’ve seen coeds flashing minors, fights, racial slurs within earshots of young kids, alcohol being thrown on folks, people soiling themselves, passing out drunk,etc. There are a lot more issues on morality and more bad things these young children being exposed to than a chanting added lyrics.

Point is:

1) just about no one is condoning this behavior by the students

2) we are talking about the “family” experience as a whole not just what the students do.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I don't like the song anyway.
So disappointing to see this from you.

I was, of course, joking about letting the expletives fly, but realize it's the reality of the world. Our students just found a way to shoehorn their crass cheer in, absent the Neck song. I assume the Bama students will do the same soon, or at least find another way to show strong dislike for Auburn... and LSU... and Tennessee too.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
As someone above mentioned, I also suspect this is an effort to appease Saban, who wants the crowd to be raucous at home games no matter who the foe is.
I made the point upstream...blue language obviously doesn't seem to bug Saban the way it bothers some of his fans.

In my opinion, the new AD has set himself up for a disappointment if he thinks the students will fall in line, I think it's ridiculous he's done this. Play the song and let the fans have fun with it, or don't play it.

I also much prefer Saban's approach to cussing as opposed to some of these coaches that won't.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
TIFWIW, but Greg was on 3 Man Front in Birmingham today to discuss the decision. He said he and the SGA president met with all fraternity and sorority presidents the night the announcement was made. They all said they wanted the song back, and he told them they have a part to play in making sure the changes happen.

Maybe the students surprise and do what is asked of them. I'm not sure they will, but they very well could.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I think I need to get my eyes checked...I thought that you said "been drinking"..LOL...That's twice today! See Y'all tomorrow!!!
B1G was a "bottle" baby...
"You want something that never existed. My whole life I have seen drinking and cursing at football games."

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I made the point upstream...blue language obviously doesn't seem to bug Saban the way it bothers some of his fans.
Good thing—Sitting in LSU Tiger Stadium listening to tens of thousands recite a three word chant (the other two were “you” and “Saban”) would wilt the easily offended.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
TIFWIW, but Greg was on 3 Man Front in Birmingham today to discuss the decision. He said he and the SGA president met with all fraternity and sorority presidents the night the announcement was made. They all said they wanted the song back, and he told them they have a part to play in making sure the changes happen.

Maybe the students surprise and do what is asked of them. I'm not sure they will, but they very well could.
If they don't/won't, then they deserve having it taken away again. That's it, period. I'm a person who's been known to let some blue language drop from time to time, in private or, at least semi-private. Yes, there has always been drinking and cussing in the stands and always will be. This is really not the point. Having the band play and then pause for a quasi-sexual obscenity to be chanted in a coordinated fashion is a totally different matter. It makes it appear that the university is complicit in it. Like it or not, to a huge slice of the nation, the F-bomb is deeply offensive and always will be. Also, it's on national TV. From reading, I assume many of you are perfectly happy with that image of the university. I'm not. I can tell you that there are many parents across the country who would summarily cross off UA as a possible destination for their kids, on the basis of this alone. It really just looks/sounds really, really low class. Maybe just my opinion, but I can assure you I'm not in a tiny minority...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Good thing—Sitting in LSU Tiger Stadium listening to tens of thousands recite a three word chant (the other two were “you” and “Saban”) would wilt the easily offended.
I don't want to be LSU. I want to be Bama and, dammit, we're better than that. (I'm not easily offended, either.)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If they don't/won't, then they deserve having it taken away again. That's it, period.
Agreed, which is why I said at the outset of the thread I don't expect it to last long at all.

Having the band play and then pause for a quasi-sexual obscenity to be chanted in a coordinated fashion is a totally different matter.
A few minor clarifications.

MDB doesn't play it. The song is played through PA.

The "breaks" are a part of the song.

With or without the add-ins, the chorus is about sex:

Spend my dollar
Parked in a holler 'neath the mountain moonlight
Holdin' her up tight
Make a little lovin'
A little turtle dovin' on a Mason Dixon night
It's my life
Oh so right
My dixieland delight

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If they don't/won't, then they deserve having it taken away again.
Yes if Greg has a backbone, but I dont think it was really his decision to do it. I believe it was CNS, and I believe he really doesnt care if the F bomb is in there or not as long as the stadium is rocking

Yes, there has always been drinking and cussing in the stands and always will be.
This is more of a different topic, but the major argument the older crowd has used against Dixieland Delight has been "BDS is a family friendly enviroment" which it depends on your tolerance for drinking, cussing, and hooliganism.

It makes it appear that the university is complicit in it..
Yeah but it still happens and the university doesnt ban those students. Neck is still played, and Dixieland's added lyrics are still chanted during games.

Like it or not, to a huge slice of the nation, the F-bomb is deeply offensive and always will be...
I disagree, Movies and TV during recent years are filled with it.

Also, it's on national TV.
Dixieland was probably on national tv only twice to my recollection with the obscenity out in the open and they were the same day. Iron Bowl 2014. It is almost always during the start of the 4th quarter.

From reading, I assume many of you are perfectly happy with that image of the university.
No we are not.

I'm not. I can tell you that there are many parents across the country who would summarily cross off UA as a possible destination for their kids, on the basis of this alone..
Yeah Im just not buying that without some facts to support that. If that was true then "fans"7 nation army lady, Updyke, and the Krystal man wouldve put a serious dent in our student body

Maybe just my opinion, but I can assure you I'm not in a tiny minority...
Maybe maybe not.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Agree that if the kids can't restrain themselves from dropping the F bomb this time then they deserve to lose the song forever. Do the rest - it is all fun and is a part of southern football culture, but leave the F bomb out of it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes if Greg has a backbone, but I dont think it was really his decision to do it. I believe it was CNS, and I believe he really doesnt care if the F bomb is in there or not as long as the stadium is rocking

This is more of a different topic, but the major argument the older crowd has used against Dixieland Delight has been "BDS is a family friendly enviroment" which it depends on your tolerance for drinking, cussing, and hooliganism.

Yeah but it still happens and the university doesnt ban those students. Neck is still played, and Dixieland's added lyrics are still chanted during games.

I disagree, Movies and TV during recent years are filled with it.

Dixieland was probably on national tv only twice to my recollection with the obscenity out in the open and they were the same day. Iron Bowl 2014. It is almost always during the start of the 4th quarter.

No we are not.

Yeah Im just not buying that without some facts to support that. If that was true then "fans"7 nation army lady, Updyke, and the Krystal man wouldve put a serious dent in our student body

Maybe maybe not.
Agree to disagree...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I don't like the song anyway.
If y'all would just turn down the TV sound, and listen to Eli, then you would never have to be embarrassed by hearing us play a song about what some 10RC hillbilly does on Saturday night.

Seriously, who wants to hear if it is the 3rd Saturday, of that month, which means it is bath night.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Agreed, which is why I said at the outset of the thread I don't expect it to last long at all.

A few minor clarifications.

MDB doesn't play it. The song is played through PA.

The "breaks" are a part of the song.

With or without the add-ins, the chorus is about sex:
I forgot it was the PA, but the involvement of the university is not lessened. I was aware of the text and also the pauses. The text is suggestive, of course. The ad libbed addition is, of course, a lot more than just suggestive...

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
surely someone can think of something better to hype the crowd up.. i see other schools do their thing and even recruits are amazed at how "lit" it is in the stadium. I've never seen a recruit mention how great it was when Dixieland Delight was playing..the added profanity makes it even worse. I for one hope they screw it up and it goes away for good

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
surely someone can think of something better to hype the crowd up.. i see other schools do their thing and even recruits are amazed at how "lit" it is in the stadium. I've never seen a recruit mention how great it was when Dixieland Delight was playing..the added profanity makes it even worse. I for one hope they screw it up and it goes away for good
Current and former players have shown their excitement on social media this week. Recruits might not mention it (trophies and rings are more appealing than a song anyway), but it clearly matters to players.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm a country music fan and "Dixieland Delight" was always one of my favorite songs when listening to the group Alabama, so it's sad to read the song is being abused by fans at BDS. I had been unaware of this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.