“Dixieland Delight” Has Been Set Free

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This whole controversy is an example of what happens when a sport that used to be about and for the students becomes a billion dollar industry. Now, rather than wanting the students to have fun, we want the students to "show class"? Like any of the people making these decisions acted differently when they were young?

This is why youth is for the young. As we get older we forget how to really LIVE.
I think you probably have the best post of the thread. I think folks want to seriously believe there is this huge difference between Alabama and the Pittsburgh Steelers, but aside from pay for play and the students there really isn't. The MDB is almost non existent, and just an que to go to bathroom for most. Most of the stadium energy is driven by piped music and Cochran ques.

Or playing a certain C Murder song. Granted, no lyrics are played, but the song itself is pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny how things are. I honestly think someone somewhere else said the best compromise is for the PA announcer or the Beagle cheerleader to yell "Beat" when it comes to the part of "bad word Auburn". That way it is more drowned out, but yet you still have the song.
Let the fans sing it how they want to sing it.
Same thing for Rammer Jammer. Folks have tried to stop us from singing it for years.
Yeah and the students still do the chant in acappella and its more noticeable.
Can’t see how this would keep students in the stands into the 4th quarter.
They look forward to it, and if they didn't then you wouldn't have the Sabans and football players trying to get it back.
One week and then it will get pulled again and I'm okay with that. Maybe I'm old and in the minority, but it's just inappropriate.
For all of those wanting the students to stay this is what it was inevitably going to come to. If you want BDS loud then you need the students or else you have a stadium mostly filled with radio listening, sitting with blankets, and nacho eating older Tide Priders.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For all of those wanting the students to stay this is what it was inevitably going to come to. If you want BDS loud then you need the students or else you have a stadium mostly filled with radio listening, sitting with blankets, and nacho eating older Tide Priders.
Yep - young people are unfettered in their enthusiasm. They don't worry about the guy who wants to sit during the whole game sitting behind them. They stand and they cheer and they have fun. When the game is no longer fun, they leave.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Can’t see how this would keep students in the stands into the 4th quarter. If they want to hear the song they’ll just pull it up on YouTube. It’s not like back in the day when we’d spend HOURS glued to MTV just waiting til they played the Thriller video.
They won't stay just for this, but they will stay if there are enough things like this happening throughout the game. Keep the students engaged, especially during the frequent and long TV timeouts.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They won't stay just for this, but they will stay if there are enough things like this happening throughout the game. Keep the students engaged, especially during the frequent and long TV timeouts.
Bingo. If you want the students to stay, you have to cater to them. It is what it is.

And while I'm not one to use foul language and preferred a time when people were more cautious about their use of it around others, this is who we are now as a society. You really can't expect to go anywhere anymore and not hear someone cursing, so if it bothers you that badly, enjoy the game from the comfort of your home on your big screen.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Bingo. If you want the students to stay, you have to cater to them. It is what it is.

And while I'm not one to use foul language and preferred a time when people were more cautious about their use of it around others, this is who we are now as a society. You really can't expect to go anywhere anymore and not hear someone cursing, so if it bothers you that badly, enjoy the game from the comfort of your home on your big screen.
I agree.

I have my issues with this, but it’s the price you pay when you have such of an age divide between students and season ticket holders but still want a very loud stadium. Personally I don’t like the song for other reasons such as it being about Tennessee (did I ever mention I hate Tennessee). But at some point you have to give them something, and if this is what it takes to put butts in aisles then so be it.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I agree.

I have my issues with this, but it’s the price you pay when you have such of an age divide between students and season ticket holders but still want a very loud stadium. Personally I don’t like the song for other reasons such as it being about Tennessee (did I ever mention I hate Tennessee). But at some point you have to give them something, and if this is what it takes to put butts in aisles then so be it.
Kind of like Sweet Home Alabama not being a positive song about the state.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Can’t see how this would keep students in the stands into the 4th quarter. If they want to hear the song they’ll just pull it up on YouTube. It’s not like back in the day when we’d spend HOURS glued to MTV just waiting til they played the Thriller video.

People aren't excited for the song only because they want to hear the music.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Now there’s a debated topic for another board heh heh

But neither “Born in the USA” by Springsteen or “Independence Day” by Martina McBride are patriotic anthems, either. In fact, both are about abuse (veterans in one, children in the other).

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Music?!?
On MTV?!?
When was that?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I can see it either way, but I think the idea that, “Hey, we’re up by 30 and I want to leave but I’ll stay just to shout the F word” is a little ridiculous, too.

In all honesty, how many folks are on their phones the entire game? And that’s not only young folks. If I use my phone during a Bama game it’s usually for pictures, and I usually use my higher grade camcorder for that anyway.

That’s why I’m not too hard on the students leaving. Some of the fans physically there aren’t even “there”.

And also - I’ve been there when they’ve played “Wagon Wheel” by Darius Rucker, Which May be veiled but is pretty risqué in content as well.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Also remember that catering to the student ticket holders is not a bad thing. They are customers, and they pay a lot of money for their seats (tuition, housing, books, etc). You have to keep your customers happy. If the product - and the product is more than game play - is inferior, they will leave. And, to be honest, I don't have a problem with it. It is their time to invest as they deem fit.

If you want them to stay, give them a product worth staying for. In games no longer in doubt (or never in doubt), give them a form of entertainment that will make them want to come out to the game and stay until that entertainment ends.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
In my limited research on this, I believe Dixieland Delight was banned circa 2014. My son, who didn't step foot in BDS until 2016 is fully aware of the added lyrics by the students so any thought of waiting for a new crop of students that don't know the additions is not realistic.

At LSU, we have our own banned song, "Neck". One of the things that made it great was it was the band and not piped in music. You can youtube it to see what the STTDB stands for that our students added. It was "banned" in 2010 or so, but occasionally makes an appearance, like last year when Odell Beckham watched a game from the student section and told the band he would pay the fine, so they played it. Our stadium rocks when that song is played and we went so far as to have players beg the students not to chant the vulgarity. LSU distributed literature requesting we keep it clean. None of that works with 18-23 year olds.

It's a shame that two awesome bands, MDB and The Golden Band from Tigerland, are no longer the centerpiece of the game day experience. Now, let me go yell at someone who is on my lawn.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Now those are fighting words!

Seriously though, that song may contain anthems that aren't politically correct, but it was written and understood as a positive song about the state. I've never heard anyone say it wasn't positive.

And Dixieland Delight is a good song too. Alabama is one my favorite all-time bands, even though I'm not a huge country fan. I'm just not a fan of the ignorant vulgarity. I also don't think the song's banning has anything to do with all the empty seats, and I think that will prove itself out over time. If this is what it takes to get young people engaged these days, well so be it I guess. I'll be over here yelling at clouds.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In my limited research on this, I believe Dixieland Delight was banned circa 2014. My son, who didn't step foot in BDS until 2016 is fully aware of the added lyrics by the students so any thought of waiting for a new crop of students that don't know the additions is not realistic.

At LSU, we have our own banned song, "Neck". One of the things that made it great was it was the band and not piped in music. You can youtube it to see what the STTDB stands for that our students added. It was "banned" in 2010 or so, but occasionally makes an appearance, like last year when Odell Beckham watched a game from the student section and told the band he would pay the fine, so they played it. Our stadium rocks when that song is played and we went so far as to have players beg the students not to chant the vulgarity. LSU distributed literature requesting we keep it clean. None of that works with 18-23 year olds.

It's a shame that two awesome bands, MDB and The Golden Band from Tigerland, are no longer the centerpiece of the game day experience. Now, let me go yell at someone who is on my lawn.
They did play it during a commercial break at the 2016 Bama-LSU game. It’s still pretty cool how the crowd is for that song.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I’m in the minority here too. At least play DD during a commercial break so it’s not on TV. Times have certainly changed a lot since I was a student. I sat through four years of blowouts and don’t remember the student section completely emptying out. I did plenty of cussing as a student but not in public, around women or in church.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
When you often have the coach up on the jumbo screen shouting the same cuss words, it's seems a little hypocritical to make an issue out of the language the students might use. Granted, we don't actually hear the words Saban uses on the sidelines, but it's lip-reading 101 to catch what he's saying.

If blue language is good enough for the coach, why not the students too? It doesn't bother me coming from either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.