Imagine this playoff scenario

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
A one-loss Georgia beats an undefeated Alabama in the SEC Championship Game and both Notre Dame and Clemson go undefeated.

You have a 1-loss Oklahoma as Big 12 champion, a 1-loss Washington as PAC-12 champion and Ohio State loses a game along the way but still wins the Big 10 so you have a 1-loss Ohio State Big 10 champion.

You also have a 1-loss Penn State but they won't be getting in over a 1-loss conference champions or a 1-loss Bama.

Who would be the likely four teams selected? There's no doubt that Alabama would be one of the best four teams, but would we get in again like last year?

What if Ohio State goes undefeated? Would the committee go Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Clemson? No way Notre Dame should get in over us.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1. UGA
2. TOSU
3. ND
4. Clemson

Bama would be going to Nola to play in all likelihood UCF or Oklahoma.

The way two teams get in from the same conference is 2 P5 and ND all have 2 losses. We won’t jump a 1 loss OU or undefeated Clemson to get in.

Last edited:

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
1. UGA
2. TOSU
3. ND
4. Clemson

Bama would be going to Nola to play in all likelihood UCF or Oklahoma.

The way two teams get in from the same conference is 2 P5 and ND all have 2 losses. We won’t jump a 1 loss OU or undefeated Clemson to get in.
I agree. This year, I believe we have to win the conference championship to get in. If we don't win the SEC as the OP describes, they will not put us in over a 1-loss conference champion or undefeated ND, no matter how good our stats are.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not even Alabama with a loss is going in over an unbeaten P5 conference champion. Look at the fact Wisconsin last year was primed and ready to go though unimpressive and Iowa in 2015 as well.

However, we have learned that what we think otherwise - like the idea “won our conference” is a deal breaker - is untrue.

In the scenario above, Clemson and the Dame get in. UGA gets in over us UNLESS.....there are extenuating circumstances. I’ll give you one: we blow out everyone along the way but Auburn cheap shots Tua and he misses the UGA game but will return for the playoff (and we lose to UGA in triple OT). I think Ohio St is the third team (justifiably at this point) and the other is UGA barring the scenario I listed.

Folks do need to remember that we only got in last year because 2-loss teams in multiple conferences were in the running. If it had been a bunch of ONE-loss teams, we stay home.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Folks do need to remember that we only got in last year because 2-loss teams in multiple conferences were in the running. If it had been a bunch of ONE-loss teams, we stay home.
Yep - Alabama needs to win the SEC to get in. Assume this is the case rather than hoping for chaos. Just win.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I never think of scenarios that start with "If we lose......."

Maybe my brain just doesn't work like that......
I agree, to a point. Alabama and Georgia can both afford to lose a game s long as they win the SECCG this year. So you have a safety net, but that safety net does not allow for a loss in the SECCG.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I agree, to a point. Alabama and Georgia can both afford to lose a game s long as they win the SECCG this year. So you have a safety net, but that safety net does not allow for a loss in the SECCG.
If we lose -- I'm a scenario borderline psychotic-fanatic.....I just don't ever assume the worst.....but if we do lose, I'll give you 45 scenarios....

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
My feeling is that a 12-1 Alabama that loses the SEC Title Game (and we're assuming the SEC title game is close) gets in over any other one loss team but not over any undefeated teams.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My feeling is that a 12-1 Alabama that loses the SEC Title Game (and we're assuming the SEC title game is close) gets in over any other one loss team but not over any undefeated teams.
Depends on the loss and the teams involved. Very close loss to GA in the SECCG and you might still be alive, but you would need the one loss P5 conference champions to have an ugly loss on their resume.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Under your scenario I think the four teams you mention (Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Clemson) would get in. If OSU loses a game I think we would jump them because we would have a better loss to UGA than any team OSU might lose to. I think we would get in over a 1-loss OU team because they also had to go to OT to beat Army. We would get in over a 1-loss Washington team because they lost to Auburn who already has 2 losses and probably 3 after we beat them. An undefeated ND team will not be kept out of the playoff because they are ND. If they'd play 12 cupcake games and win them all by the score of 3-0 they'd still get in.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
If Alabama loses to UGA, I think we are out regardless. But if it is a close game, I think UGA may get in even with a loss. Odd how that works. It is not SEC bias, it is Alabama bias or fatigue if you will.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Alabama loses to UGA, I think we are out regardless. But if it is a close game, I think UGA may get in even with a loss. Odd how that works. It is not SEC bias, it is Alabama bias or fatigue if you will.
The committee has no Bama fatigue, and that is the only group that matters. If last year did not convince you, you just don't want to be convinced.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
The committee has no Bama fatigue, and that is the only group that matters. If last year did not convince you, you just don't want to be convinced.
Exactly- what happened last year actually confirmed the committee’s decision to put us in. I think the only way a 12-1 Alabama gets left out is if the loss in the SECCG was due to losing Tua in the game and he was going to be unable to return for the playoffs. That would devalue us significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The winner of the SECC game is in and the loser will be on Bourbon Street for New Years. It is unlikely Clemson will lose, I don't think Michigan (regular season) or Wisconsin (in the B1G CC game) will beat tOSU. It appears, right now, that USCw is the only team that can derail Notre Dame. Right now, subject to any unexpected upsets, it would be the SEC Champion, Clemson, tOSU, and Notre Dame in the CFB Playoff.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.