Imagine this playoff scenario
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Imagine this playoff scenario

A one-loss Georgia beats an undefeated Alabama in the SEC Championship Game and both Notre Dame and Clemson go undefeated.

You have a 1-loss Oklahoma as Big 12 champion, a 1-loss Washington as PAC-12 champion and Ohio State loses a game along the way but still wins the Big 10 so you have a 1-loss Ohio State Big 10 champion.

You also have a 1-loss Penn State but they won't be getting in over a 1-loss conference champions or a 1-loss Bama.

Who would be the likely four teams selected? There's no doubt that Alabama would be one of the best four teams, but would we get in again like last year?

What if Ohio State goes undefeated? Would the committee go Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Clemson? No way Notre Dame should get in over us.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by saturdaysarebet; October 11th, 2018 at 06:38 AM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Imagine this playoff scenario

1. UGA
    2. TOSU
    3. ND
    4. Clemson

Bama would be going to Nola to play in all likelihood UCF or Oklahoma.

The way two teams get in from the same conference is 2 P5 and ND all have 2 losses. We won’t jump a 1 loss OU or undefeated Clemson to get in.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; October 11th, 2018 at 06:38 AM.

Just keep winning, baby.

No other way to be certain of our fate. Meanwhile, Misouri ........

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    1. UGA
    2. TOSU
    3. ND
    4. Clemson

Bama would be going to Nola to play in all likelihood UCF or Oklahoma.

The way two teams get in from the same conference is 2 P5 and ND all have 2 losses. We won’t jump a 1 loss OU or undefeated Clemson to get in.
    I agree. This year, I believe we have to win the conference championship to get in. If we don't win the SEC as the OP describes, they will not put us in over a 1-loss conference champion or undefeated ND, no matter how good our stats are.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Not even Alabama with a loss is going in over an unbeaten P5 conference champion. Look at the fact Wisconsin last year was primed and ready to go though unimpressive and Iowa in 2015 as well.

However, we have learned that what we think otherwise - like the idea “won our conference” is a deal breaker - is untrue.

In the scenario above, Clemson and the Dame get in. UGA gets in over us UNLESS.....there are extenuating circumstances. I’ll give you one: we blow out everyone along the way but Auburn cheap shots Tua and he misses the UGA game but will return for the playoff (and we lose to UGA in triple OT). I think Ohio St is the third team (justifiably at this point) and the other is UGA barring the scenario I listed.

Folks do need to remember that we only got in last year because 2-loss teams in multiple conferences were in the running. If it had been a bunch of ONE-loss teams, we stay home.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

I never think of scenarios that start with "If we lose......."

Maybe my brain just doesn't work like that......
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Folks do need to remember that we only got in last year because 2-loss teams in multiple conferences were in the running. If it had been a bunch of ONE-loss teams, we stay home.
    Yep - Alabama needs to win the SEC to get in. Assume this is the case rather than hoping for chaos. Just win.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    I never think of scenarios that start with "If we lose......."

Maybe my brain just doesn't work like that......
    I agree, to a point. Alabama and Georgia can both afford to lose a game s long as they win the SECCG this year. So you have a safety net, but that safety net does not allow for a loss in the SECCG.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I agree, to a point. Alabama and Georgia can both afford to lose a game s long as they win the SECCG this year. So you have a safety net, but that safety net does not allow for a loss in the SECCG.
    If we lose -- I'm a scenario borderline psychotic-fanatic.....I just don't ever assume the worst.....but if we do lose, I'll give you 45 scenarios....
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-SEC UntouchableCrew's Avatar

My feeling is that a 12-1 Alabama that loses the SEC Title Game (and we're assuming the SEC title game is close) gets in over any other one loss team but not over any undefeated teams.

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    My feeling is that a 12-1 Alabama that loses the SEC Title Game (and we're assuming the SEC title game is close) gets in over any other one loss team but not over any undefeated teams.
    We'd get in ahead of UCF.....

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    Depends on the loss and the teams involved. Very close loss to GA in the SECCG and you might still be alive, but you would need the one loss P5 conference champions to have an ugly loss on their resume.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saturdaysarebet View Post
    Imagine this playoff scenario A one-loss Georgia beats an undefeated Alabama in the SEC Championship Game