Link: Document Shows Untrained 'Third Party' Overruled Controversial Call in Pac-12 Game

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This explains a lot. Now and then a call is made with the only explanation being cheating. Bookie $$$. I wonder how much was made on that call. No this is not blue font because it does happen.
The line was -4.5, so USC didn't cover. Would have had to be a USC outright bet for it to matter.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This explains a lot. Now and then a call is made with the only explanation being cheating. Bookie $$$. I wonder how much was made on that call. No this is not blue font because it does happen.
I don't know when this occurred in the game but anyone who thinks refs and officials don't take $$$ has a lot of explaining to do. There are those who won't believe it, I know, but don't they think it is funny that Politicians, Police, Preachers, Teachers, Lawyers, Judges, Coaches and players cheat -- but not refs and umps. No Way.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, I think this means you can call during games and overrule any targeting calls.
Makes about as much sense. Why this guy felt free to inject himself into the review process is beyond me. The first thing that occurs to me is to wonder how many other areas he's meddled in which are outside his normal role...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think Larry Scott is the worst conference commissioner right now, by far, and maybe the worst we've seen in a long time.

That conference has gone way downhill under his leadership. He botched the conference expansion deal with the Big 12 (I know Texas probably submarined that ultimately) and subsequently botched their conference network. If I'm not mistaken they are 5th among the power 5 in revenue right now because of the failure of that network. And this is not the first time they've had really odd officiating problems.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
But just remember something about “the league offices are in Birmingham, therefore something something”

(Half Blue font because some idiots who say this absolutely believe it).

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Go you one better conspiratorially - and no blue font on this one, either unless dark, dark blue. Check the uncalled targeting incident late in the same game against Wazzu QB and "former-'Bama walk-on-to-be" Gardiner Minshew (via East Carolina) that inevitably cost Washington State a victory.

But just remember something about “the league offices are in Birmingham, therefore something something”

(Half Blue font because some idiots who say this absolutely believe it).

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
I think Larry Scott is the worst conference commissioner right now, by far, and maybe the worst we've seen in a long time.

That conference has gone way downhill under his leadership. He botched the conference expansion deal with the Big 12 (I know Texas probably submarined that ultimately) and subsequently botched their conference network. If I'm not mistaken they are 5th among the power 5 in revenue right now because of the failure of that network. And this is not the first time they've had really odd officiating problems.
Larry has a 2 real problems. First, his teams are not very good. I know we were all Washington fans the first week but they were never going to beat Auburn. They seem to be the best that conference has to offer and I think we are seeing that Auburn is just not very good. Second, there is even less fan interest. I have a relative in school in southern California who went with a group to UCLA for a visit one weekend last fall on a conference game weekend (I think it was Arizona) ---they were able to pick up about 20 seats together day of the game for less than $10.00 per ticket----not student tickets. You can hype crap and make it appear TV shiny, put on a show around it, and dress it up----but if the product is no good, the customers know it and won't buy it. Larry has to be a spin miester.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I just don't understand this at all. The reverse, maybe I get. You want your GC involved because calling and enforcing targeting rules should be a help in defending against claims arising from head injuries (CTE) and refute the whole "the league doesn't care about it's players". I maybe I would understand if the GC is in that loop, but in that case he or she would be overruling the officials and saying "you guys got this wrong, that is exactly the sort of blow our rules are supposed to be addressing, because they are unreasonably dangerous, blah, blah, blah".

Overruling it the other way? Well, I have some theories about that, but none of them are good nor do they contribute to a positive image for that league or individual.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
Makes about as much sense. Why this guy felt free to inject himself into the review process is beyond me. The first thing that occurs to me is to wonder how many other areas he's meddled in which are outside his normal role...
And how many times he's over-ruled the officials and just nothing big came of it, so no public outcry.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.