Link: Document Shows Untrained 'Third Party' Overruled Controversial Call in Pac-12 Game
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Document Shows Untrained 'Third Party' Overruled Controversial Call in Pac-12 Game

Link

On the final play of the third quarter of Washington State’s game at USC on Sept. 21, Trojan quarterback JT Daniels scrambled and ducked to a knee. After he’d established himself as down, Washington State linebacker Logan Tago dove at him headfirst and initiated clear helmet-to-helmet contact. The play drew both a flag for roughing the passer and a review for targeting.

It was a clear enough call that both the in-stadium replay officials and the replay officials in the Pac-12’s command center in San Francisco ruled the play as a targeting penalty, according to an internal replay report obtained by Yahoo Sports. This call would have ejected Tago from the game. An independent veteran official who viewed the play also told Yahoo Sports it was “clear targeting.”

Targeting wasn’t called and Tago stayed in the game. The replay report obtained by Yahoo Sports states that “unfortunately a third party did not agree” with the call. That “third party” was Pac-12 general counsel and senior vice president of business affairs Woodie Dixon, Yahoo Sports sources have confirmed.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Document Shows Untrained 'Third Party' Overruled Controversial Call in Pac-12 Gam

Yeah, I read that. Very strange. If it is true, someone needs to be fired.

BamaNation All-American Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Document Shows Untrained 'Third Party' Overruled Controversial Call in Pac-12 Game

What a mess. PAC 12 has some serious explaining to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Snuffy Smith; October 11th, 2018 at 12:13 PM.

BamaNation All-American Bama-94-00's Avatar

Re: Document Shows Untrained 'Third Party' Overruled Controversial Call in Pac-12 Gam

A non-official has no business overruling such a call and should not have authority to do so.

Looks like another case of "my lawyer told me to do it"...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

It's good to know that player safety is the top priority in the PAC 12.
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Looks like another case of "my lawyer told me to do it"...
    From his Wiki page:

...went on to earn his J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1999 and his Masters of Sport Management from the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 2004.[3] Dixon has also been an adjunct professor at the Washburn University School of Law in Topeka, Kansas, teaching sports law.[4

So, basically someone who deems himself to be more enlightened than the idiots he employs to do the work that gets done and has absolutely no regard for rule of law---------

Steps off soap box.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

He admits to a "mistake" in their procedures? This wasn't a mistake. Did someone accidentally write into the policy that this guy has the power to override penalties and accidentally provide the means to do so? He called into the stadium to reverse the call. He wasn't there. He was a part of the plan, not a mistake. Their only mistake was in having this uncovered.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Someone in Vegas got a Woodie.....
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    He admits to a "mistake" in their procedures? This wasn't a mistake. Did someone accidentally write into the policy that this guy has the power to override penalties and accidentally provide the means to do so? He called into the stadium to reverse the call. He wasn't there. He was a part of the plan, not a mistake. Their only mistake was in having this uncovered.
    Right. There's no mistake in someone calling to give their opinion when they're not included in the first place.
    -- Coach Bryant

The Pac-12 is joke.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Earle, I think this means you can call during games and overrule any targeting calls.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll