John Doe Breaks Down Defense vs Arkansas - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: John Doe Breaks Down Defense vs Arkansas

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    There was few plays where Mack was running with other LB in pass coverage, leaving middle of the field open. I always thought that was miscommunication. I'm not sure what is going on... but this is fixable and I felt little better after watching the film.
    I thought the same. The corners didn't get picked on a ton outside of Diggs for 1 or 2 plays. He had that jump ball but the coverage was perfect. The ball was well thrown and the receiver made an excellent play.

Even Moses had some crucial plays on the ball. Carter seemed a little turned around and tentative at times even though he had the pick-6. I think if you get the ILB's and Carter playing confidently it's a whole different ball game. Hopefully Patrick Surtain Jr. is confident in what he needs to be doing. We've heard he's a very hard worker and very "Minkah" like in that way. Here's the week when that mentality hopefully pays off.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    This is unacceptable for someone like him.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    I thought the same. The corners didn't get picked on a ton outside of Diggs for 1 or 2 plays. He had that jump ball but the coverage was perfect. The ball was well thrown and the receiver made an excellent play.

Even Moses had some crucial plays on the ball. Carter seemed a little turned around and tentative at times even though he had the pick-6. I think if you get the ILB's and Carter playing confidently it's a whole different ball game. Hopefully Patrick Surtain Jr. is confident in what he needs to be doing. We've heard he's a very hard worker and very "Minkah" like in that way. Here's the week when that mentality hopefully pays off.
    I agree. Carter tend to be very relaxed when tacking players on field. Surtain is real good and as long we have him on field we are okay. Jobe is very good. he had a good fall camp. I just feel like ILB needs to play better and aggressive and we will be okay.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Goodness, here's hoping that Mack sees that tweet.

Let's not come down to hard on him. From everything we've heard he's putting in maximum effort. He holds himself accountable, he meets with coach personally.

I think it's like coach sometimes says, "He's thinking too much and not reacting." It hasn't sunk in fully, it's just not automatic for him at this point in time. I have faith he will get there. MILB is a position that takes a long time to get good at. There has always been a very experienced player holding down that position. Mack is a true junior I believe. A lot of times it's a senior position - at least it was with Foster, Ragland, and Depriest.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Goodness, here's hoping that Mack sees that tweet.
    Oh. He will. I know he read bama board.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Let's not come down to hard on him. From everything we've heard he's putting in maximum effort. He holds himself accountable, he meets with coach personally.

I think it's like coach sometimes says, "He's thinking too much and not reacting." It hasn't sunk in fully, it's just not automatic for him at this point in time. I have faith he will get there. MILB is a position that takes a long time to get good at. There has always been a very experienced player holding down that position. Mack is a true junior I believe. A lot of times it's a senior position - at least it was with Foster, Ragland, and Depriest.
    At the end of the day, he is still held accountable for what happens on the field. If something didn't work on the field, he has to explain that. He is the one who calls out the play for the defense. If other player in secondary mess up or there is busted coverage, it's on him. Whether it's his fault or not, there are things he should've done better because this is not his first time playing the position. I would say 40 percent is on Wilson, 50 percent is on coaches. 10 percent on his foot.

BamaNation First Team Saban4Ever's Avatar

There was few plays where Mack was running with other LB in pass coverage, leaving middle of the field open. I always thought that was miscommunication. I'm not sure what is going on... but this is fixable and I felt little better after watching the film.

I am not sure what the issue is either, but since it has been happening too much all season, it seems it would have been mostly fixed already. I know after the Arkansas game, Saban probably looked into the issue even more (for this week's practices).

It needs to be fixed this weekend, and even more so by LSU. LSU will run the ball very effectively if our Linebackers do not communicate. And if Nick Fitzgerald runs on BAMA like he did on Auburn, he will get lots of yards. He is not a good passer but is one of the best running QB.

BamaNation All-SEC

I've thought the same thing. I think this is the first year we have had a first year starter in charge of calling the plays. Everyone else I can recall had a year of starting experience before they were elevated to be the signal caller. Thing is, we don't really have any other good options. Do we elevate Mcmillon just to get more consistent communication (he's certainly louder and more clear about the calls - can't tell if they are the right ones or not, but no one on the field will NOT know the call fi McMillon is calling it) and move Mack over and then have Moses rotate in?

I always enjoy their analysis. I believe that some of those correctable things will be corrected this week. Looking forward to a great defensive showing vs. Mizzou.

At the end of the day, he is still held accountable for what happens on the field. If something didn't work on the field, he has to explain that. He is the one who calls out the play for the defense. If other player in secondary mess up or there is busted coverage, it's on him. Whether it's his fault or not, there are things he should've done better because this is not his first time playing the position. I would say 40 percent is on Wilson, 50 percent is on coaches. 10 percent on his foot.
    No, at the end of the day Saban is held accountable for what happens on the field.

These are kids. Not professionals.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

No, at the end of the day Saban is held accountable for what happens on the field.

These are kids. Not professionals.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Sure, but players like Wilson hold themselves accountable. No one has to tell Mack Wilson that he needs to do a better job, and we don't even know exactly what he is doing wrong right now. We trust that he is going to do what he has to do because we have no choice. He is the best man for the job. He knows it. Saban knows it. We know it. He just has to do what he does.