John Doe Breaks Down Defense vs Arkansas

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
He shows the good and the bad. It reveals what many of us knew - Mack Wilson, a sterling player with immense talent, just had a very rough game. And the D-line got lax as the day wore on. Some uncharacteristic missed tackles. After review I actually think the D-line did better overall than I had initially recognized. What are your thoughts after watching these defensive breakdowns?

The good news? It honestly looked like a lot of it was very teachable. Working on some communication, reading keys, and just playing with a little more aggression seem to be what is needed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Williams is a beast at the LS. He and Davis are being held on almost every play and still throwing off blockers and making plays.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Beginning to wonder if there's more to the issues at ILB. Mack and Dylan are good players. They've each showed it. Pete might not have adjusted to coaching a new position as well as Saban thought he would.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Beginning to wonder if there's more to the issues at ILB. Mack and Dylan are good players. They've each showed it. Pete might not have adjusted to coaching a new position as well as Saban thought he would.
On film it was looking like Moses was playing with good instincts and was around the ball a lot more than I remember. I'm sure Saban was very hands on this week in practice to see what was going on.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I watched the entire game again and they were not out of position as often as it felt like when I watched the game live. Moses in particular was only out of position a few times. But they were late calling the defense and getting lined up on about half the plays in the first half. I am not sure why that was happening. The defensive calls come in from the sidelines and the Wilson adjusts based on what he sees. Were the sideline calls coming in late? Was Wilson confused by what he was seeing?

The coaches and players have reviewed the film. For each play, they have answered each question. I would have loved to be in that room during that review to see what really happened, because no one is going to tell us.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I don't know if anyone noticed, but I don't think there was a holding call all day. They were consistent on both sides, but our D-line was being held if not tackled almost all day.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I don't know if anyone noticed, but I don't think there was a holding call all day. They were consistent on both sides, but our D-line was being held if not tackled almost all day.
This is what infuriates everyone I know. It's as if Alabama is being officiated differently than every other team in the SEC. It was bizarre and refreshing to see Auburn get screwed last week numerous times by the zebras. They always seem to get the benefit of the doubt especially when playing at home.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Lookout, Arkansas fans have 3 or 4 pictures coming your way.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I've been saying for weeks that It was Mack and Moses not communicating with secondary. I watched the film again today and noticed Mack was going either wrong way or is too far out to make plays. You get my point, so I have to agree with RTR here. Something isn't right. Is it Golding? Is it Tosh? Is it simply case of calls coming in late? Is it Mack being overwhelmed? I honestly do not know. The good new is that everything is fixable. I suspect coaches are going to try something new. For example... DL get their play call from their designated guy on sideline. LB get their call from LB guy on sideline and Secondary get their call from Secondary guy on sideline. That might clean up some of miscommunication. Mack has to be aggressive when hitting folks. It's almost as if he is scared to do that for some reason. I got a feeling that this defense will be real good this weekend.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I watched the entire game again and they were not out of position as often as it felt like when I watched the game live. Moses in particular was only out of position a few times. But they were late calling the defense and getting lined up on about half the plays in the first half. I am not sure why that was happening. The defensive calls come in from the sidelines and the Wilson adjusts based on what he sees. Were the sideline calls coming in late? Was Wilson confused by what he was seeing?

The coaches and players have reviewed the film. For each play, they have answered each question. I would have loved to be in that room during that review to see what really happened, because no one is going to tell us.
There was few plays where Mack was running with other LB in pass coverage, leaving middle of the field open. I always thought that was miscommunication. I'm not sure what is going on... but this is fixable and I felt little better after watching the film.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Could be Golding not adjusting, or that Tosh is still coming up the learning curve since he's the one calling the plays. Could also be that with Tosh coaching the OLBs instead of the ILBs that it's more difficult to get teh chemistry right between himself and the guys on the field.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Mack has to be aggressive when hitting folks. It's almost as if he is scared to do that for some reason. I got a feeling that this defense will be real good this weekend.
I get the sense that Mack is just trying to do too much and not trusting himself or his teammates. Your defense works only if everyone knows their job and does their job - and trust their teammates to do their job. As soon as you get a guy doing too much, the whole thing falls apart. Holes open up and no one has a chance.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
There was few plays where Mack was running with other LB in pass coverage, leaving middle of the field open. I always thought that was miscommunication. I'm not sure what is going on... but this is fixable and I felt little better after watching the film.
I thought the same. The corners didn't get picked on a ton outside of Diggs for 1 or 2 plays. He had that jump ball but the coverage was perfect. The ball was well thrown and the receiver made an excellent play.

Even Moses had some crucial plays on the ball. Carter seemed a little turned around and tentative at times even though he had the pick-6. I think if you get the ILB's and Carter playing confidently it's a whole different ball game. Hopefully Patrick Surtain Jr. is confident in what he needs to be doing. We've heard he's a very hard worker and very "Minkah" like in that way. Here's the week when that mentality hopefully pays off.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I thought the same. The corners didn't get picked on a ton outside of Diggs for 1 or 2 plays. He had that jump ball but the coverage was perfect. The ball was well thrown and the receiver made an excellent play.

Even Moses had some crucial plays on the ball. Carter seemed a little turned around and tentative at times even though he had the pick-6. I think if you get the ILB's and Carter playing confidently it's a whole different ball game. Hopefully Patrick Surtain Jr. is confident in what he needs to be doing. We've heard he's a very hard worker and very "Minkah" like in that way. Here's the week when that mentality hopefully pays off.
I agree. Carter tend to be very relaxed when tacking players on field. Surtain is real good and as long we have him on field we are okay. Jobe is very good. he had a good fall camp. I just feel like ILB needs to play better and aggressive and we will be okay.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
This is unacceptable for someone like him.
Let's not come down to hard on him. From everything we've heard he's putting in maximum effort. He holds himself accountable, he meets with coach personally.

I think it's like coach sometimes says, "He's thinking too much and not reacting." It hasn't sunk in fully, it's just not automatic for him at this point in time. I have faith he will get there. MILB is a position that takes a long time to get good at. There has always been a very experienced player holding down that position. Mack is a true junior I believe. A lot of times it's a senior position - at least it was with Foster, Ragland, and Depriest.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.