John Doe Breaks Down Defense vs Arkansas
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

John Doe Breaks Down Defense vs Arkansas

He shows the good and the bad. It reveals what many of us knew - Mack Wilson, a sterling player with immense talent, just had a very rough game. And the D-line got lax as the day wore on. Some uncharacteristic missed tackles. After review I actually think the D-line did better overall than I had initially recognized. What are your thoughts after watching these defensive breakdowns?

The good news? It honestly looked like a lot of it was very teachable. Working on some communication, reading keys, and just playing with a little more aggression seem to be what is needed.

“And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: John Doe Breaks Down Defense vs Arkansas

Williams is a beast at the LS. He and Davis are being held on almost every play and still throwing off blockers and making plays.

Beginning to wonder if there's more to the issues at ILB. Mack and Dylan are good players. They've each showed it. Pete might not have adjusted to coaching a new position as well as Saban thought he would.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Beginning to wonder if there's more to the issues at ILB. Mack and Dylan are good players. They've each showed it. Pete might not have adjusted to coaching a new position as well as Saban thought he would.
    On film it was looking like Moses was playing with good instincts and was around the ball a lot more than I remember. I'm sure Saban was very hands on this week in practice to see what was going on.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I watched the entire game again and they were not out of position as often as it felt like when I watched the game live. Moses in particular was only out of position a few times. But they were late calling the defense and getting lined up on about half the plays in the first half. I am not sure why that was happening. The defensive calls come in from the sidelines and the Wilson adjusts based on what he sees. Were the sideline calls coming in late? Was Wilson confused by what he was seeing?

The coaches and players have reviewed the film. For each play, they have answered each question. I would have loved to be in that room during that review to see what really happened, because no one is going to tell us.

BamaNation All-American

I don't know if anyone noticed, but I don't think there was a holding call all day. They were consistent on both sides, but our D-line was being held if not tackled almost all day.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    I don't know if anyone noticed, but I don't think there was a holding call all day. They were consistent on both sides, but our D-line was being held if not tackled almost all day.
    This is what infuriates everyone I know. It's as if Alabama is being officiated differently than every other team in the SEC. It was bizarre and refreshing to see Auburn get screwed last week numerous times by the zebras. They always seem to get the benefit of the doubt especially when playing at home.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    Lookout, Arkansas fans have 3 or 4 pictures coming your way.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

These two John Doe coaches know their football and are fun to watch. Thanks for posting.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

I've been saying for weeks that It was Mack and Moses not communicating with secondary. I watched the film again today and noticed Mack was going either wrong way or is too far out to make plays. You get my point, so I have to agree with RTR here. Something isn't right. Is it Golding? Is it Tosh? Is it simply case of calls coming in late? Is it Mack being overwhelmed? I honestly do not know. The good new is that everything is fixable. I suspect coaches are going to try something new. For example... DL get their play call from their designated guy on sideline. LB get their call from LB guy on sideline and Secondary get their call from Secondary guy on sideline. That might clean up some of miscommunication. Mack has to be aggressive when hitting folks. It's almost as if he is scared to do that for some reason. I got a feeling that this defense will be real good this weekend.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I watched the entire game again and they were not out of position as often as it felt like when I watched the game live. Moses in particular was only out of position a few times. But they were late calling the defense and getting lined up on about half the plays in the first half. I am not sure why that was happening. The defensive calls come in from the sidelines and the Wilson adjusts based on what he sees. Were the sideline calls coming in late? Was Wilson confused by what he was seeing?

The coaches and players have reviewed the film. For each play, they have answered each question. I would have loved to be in that room during that review to see what really happened, because no one is going to tell us.
    There was few plays where Mack was running with other LB in pass coverage, leaving middle of the field open. I always thought that was miscommunication. I'm not sure what is going on... but this is fixable and I felt little better after watching the film.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-SEC

Could be Golding not adjusting, or that Tosh is still coming up the learning curve since he's the one calling the plays. Could also be that with Tosh coaching the OLBs instead of the ILBs that it's more difficult to get teh chemistry right between himself and the guys on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Mack has to be aggressive when hitting folks. It's almost as if he is scared to do that for some reason. I got a feeling that this defense will be real good this weekend.
    I get the sense that Mack is just trying to do too much and not trusting himself or his teammates. Your defense works only if everyone knows their job and does their job - and trust their teammates to do their job. As soon as you get a guy doing too much, the whole thing falls apart. Holes open up and no one has a chance.