News Article: New UN Report Warns of Global Warming's Dire Consequences

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Or run around beating up people because they spoke up. “Proud Boys” my smelly behind. They did get the “Boys” part right, though. Immature punks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you imagine the slap-fight that would occur if you put these two groups together and let them go at it without breaking it up!:biggrin:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
there's a culture of anti-intellectualism ..... that seems to manifest by normal people thinking their opinions on niche, complex subjects are equivalent to those of experts who have studied these problems for years.
I agree that a lot of people substitute unsupported opinions for actual knowledge of a particular subject. Someone who has an educational background and/or professional experience on a particular subject just might know better than someone who has neither. This happens not only with complex subjects, but also with matters that should be easy to grasp.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I agree that a lot of people substitute unsupported opinions for actual knowledge of a particular subject. Someone who has an educational background and/or professional experience on a particular subject just might know better than someone who has neither. This happens not only with complex subjects, but also with matters that should be easy to grasp.
Your last five words are the crux of the problem; is it the difficulty or is it just denial because someone you don’t like believes it so it can’t be true?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Your last five words are the crux of the problem; is it the difficulty or is it just denial because someone you don’t like believes it so it can’t be true?

Good question. I think a lot of it is that many people get comfortable with their knowledge/experience level and they aren't willing to go further. And that's fine, I guess, expect when that unwillingness becomes hostility toward those who are more adept on a particular subject. That's where the tribalism comes in, I suppose.

I've always been curious about learning things that are outside of my knowledge area. And it could be on any subject. A few years ago my wife and I went back to her old stomping ground in Binghamton, NY to visit old friends. While my wife and her friend were discussing how things had changed over the years at the hospital, I spoke for hours with the lady's husband. He runs his own business as a taxidermist. I thought his experience of getting into that business and being an entrepreneur was the coolest thing.

Contrast that with a conversation I had after I graduated business school and went to work for an investment bank. This guy's frame of reference was the local branch of a commercial bank. I tried to tell him that being an investment banker is not remotely the same thing as being the drive-up teller at Regions. And I tried to explain to him about the work I did. He didn't believe me. Eh, what can you do? People are going to believe what they want to believe.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Good question. I think a lot of it is that many people get comfortable with their knowledge/experience level and they aren't willing to go further. And that's fine, I guess, expect when that unwillingness becomes hostility toward those who are more adept on a particular subject. That's where the tribalism comes in, I suppose.

I've always been curious about learning things that are outside of my knowledge area. And it could be on any subject. A few years ago my wife and I went back to her old stomping ground in Binghamton, NY to visit old friends. While my wife and her friend were discussing how things had changed over the years at the hospital, I spoke for hours with the lady's husband. He runs his own business as a taxidermist. I thought his experience of getting into that business and being an entrepreneur was the coolest thing.

Contrast that with a conversation I had after I graduated business school and went to work for an investment bank. This guy's frame of reference was the local branch of a commercial bank. I tried to tell him that being an investment banker is not remotely the same thing as being the drive-up teller at Regions. And I tried to explain to him about the work I did. He didn't believe me. Eh, what can you do? People are going to believe what they want to believe.
Need more Coach Sabans in the world....a lot of this is just common sense!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Doubters simply doubt because their tribe tells then to. Science is totally ignored.
IMO it’s not as much ignored as it has been belittled, demeaned and lied about in an attempt to make it appear fraudulent. That’s an easy sell to the brainwashed brain dead.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.