News Article: New UN Report Warns of Global Warming's Dire Consequences

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has delivered an ultimatum of sorts on the fate of the planet with regard to global warming. The countries of the world "require rapid, far reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society" in order to limit global warming to a rise of 1.5 degrees C. For these changes to meaningfully effect humanity, the IPCC warns, they must take place within the next 12 years.The report does not discuss the idea of reversing global warming. Rather, it states with a high degree of confidence that "human activities are estimated to have caused approximately 1.0°C of global warming above pre-industrial levels, with a likely range of 0.8°C to 1.2°C. Global warming is likely to reach 1.5°C between 2030 and 2052 if it continues to increase at the current rate." 2030 is just 12 years away.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/un-report-warns-global-warming-215000722.html

FWIW, the gulf waters are currently about 4 degrees warmer than normal for this time.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I watched Gore on PBS last night. He interrupted Judy Woodruff when she posited the claim that some scientists claim climate change is a hoax.
In typical Gore fashion, he lacked the cojones to point out that those who support this claim are “mostly NOT climatologists”, and the few who are have proven financial support from conservative groups. In any event, he did point out that the ones who say this are a very small percentage (he said 1%) vs the number who claim it as fact.
Why wouldn’t I agree with an engineer as opposed to a climatologist, when it comes to the topic of climate change?
Not a reason I can think of...(Blue font).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From your article:
At two degrees, the melting of ice sheets will pass a tipping point of collapse, flooding dozens of the world’s major cities this century. At that amount of warming, it is estimated, global GDP, per capita, will be cut by 13 percent. Four hundred million more people will suffer from water scarcity, and even in the northern latitudes heat waves will kill thousands each summer. It will be worse in the planet’s equatorial band. In India, where many cities now numbering in the many millions would become unliveably hot, there would be 32 times as many extreme heat waves, each lasting five times as long and exposing, in total, 93 times more people. This is two degrees — practically speaking, our absolute best-case climate scenario.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Here is something I found interesting and gave me a chuckle... Not saying it's right or wrong, but Folks have been trying to scare us green for a long time. FULL DISCLOSURE: I did not independently verify, fact-check, or cross reference any of the following...
http://www.aei.org/publication/18-s...irst-earth-day-in-1970-expect-more-this-year/
18 examples of the spectacularly wrong predictions made around 1970 when the “green holy day” (aka Earth Day) started:
1. Harvard biologist George Wald estimated that “civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.”
2. “We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation,” wrote Washington University biologist Barry Commoner in the Earth Day issue of the scholarly journal Environment.
3. The day after the first Earth Day, the New York Times editorial page warned, “Man must stop pollution and conserve his resources, not merely to enhance existence but to save the race from intolerable deterioration and possible extinction.”
4. “Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make,” Paul Ehrlich confidently declared in the April 1970 issue of Mademoiselle. “The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.”
5. “Most of the people who are going to die in the greatest cataclysm in the history of man have already been born,” wrote Paul Ehrlich in a 1969 essay titled “Eco-Catastrophe! “By…[1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s.”
6. Ehrlich sketched out his most alarmist scenario for the 1970 Earth Day issue of The Progressive, assuring readers that between 1980 and 1989, some 4 billion people, including 65 million Americans, would perish in the “Great Die-Off.”
7. “It is already too late to avoid mass starvation,” declared Denis Hayes, the chief organizer for Earth Day, in the Spring 1970 issue of The Living Wilderness.
8. Peter Gunter, a North Texas State University professor, wrote in 1970, “Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions….By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.”
9. In January 1970, Life reported, “Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….”
10. Ecologist Kenneth Watt told Time that, “At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.”
11. Barry Commoner predicted that decaying organic pollutants would use up all of the oxygen in America’s rivers, causing freshwater fish to suffocate.
12. Paul Ehrlich chimed in, predicting in 1970 that “air pollution…is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone.” Ehrlich sketched a scenario in which 200,000 Americans would die in 1973 during “smog disasters” in New York and Los Angeles.
13. Paul Ehrlich warned in the May 1970 issue of Audubon that DDT and other chlorinated hydrocarbons “may have substantially reduced the life expectancy of people born since 1945.” Ehrlich warned that Americans born since 1946…now had a life expectancy of only 49 years, and he predicted that if current patterns continued this expectancy would reach 42 years by 1980, when it might level out. (Note: According to the most recent CDC report, life expectancy in the US is 78.8 years).
14. Ecologist Kenneth Watt declared, “By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.'”
15. Harrison Brown, a scientist at the National Academy of Sciences, published a chart in Scientific American that looked at metal reserves and estimated the humanity would totally run out of copper shortly after 2000. Lead, zinc, tin, gold, and silver would be gone before 1990.
16. Sen. Gaylord Nelson wrote in Look that, “Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.”
17. In 1975, Paul Ehrlich predicted that “since more than nine-tenths of the original tropical rainforests will be removed in most areas within the next 30 years or so, it is expected that half of the organisms in these areas will vanish with it.”
18. Kenneth Watt warned about a pending Ice Age in a speech. “The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years,” he declared. “If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Here is something I found interesting and gave me a chuckle... Not saying it's right or wrong, but Folks have been trying to scare us green for a long time. FULL DISCLOSURE: I did not independently verify, fact-check, or cross reference any of the following...
http://www.aei.org/publication/18-s...irst-earth-day-in-1970-expect-more-this-year/
[FONT=&]18 examples of the spectacularly wrong predictions made around 1970 when the “green holy day” (aka Earth Day) started:[/FONT]
[FONT=&]1. Harvard biologist George Wald estimated that “civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&]2. “We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation,” wrote Washington University biologist Barry Commoner in the Earth Day issue of the scholarly journal Environment.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]3. The day after the first Earth Day, the New York Times editorial page warned, “Man must stop pollution and conserve his resources, not merely to enhance existence but to save the race from intolerable deterioration and possible extinction.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&]4. “Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make,” Paul Ehrlich confidently declared in the April 1970 issue of Mademoiselle. “The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&]5. “Most of the people who are going to die in the greatest cataclysm in the history of man have already been born,” wrote Paul Ehrlich in a 1969 essay titled “Eco-Catastrophe! “By…[1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&]6. Ehrlich sketched out his most alarmist scenario for the 1970 Earth Day issue of The Progressive, assuring readers that between 1980 and 1989, some 4 billion people, including 65 million Americans, would perish in the “Great Die-Off.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&]7. “It is already too late to avoid mass starvation,” declared Denis Hayes, the chief organizer for Earth Day, in the Spring 1970 issue of The Living Wilderness.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]8. Peter Gunter, a North Texas State University professor, wrote in 1970, “Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions….By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&]9. In January 1970, Life reported, “Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….”[/FONT]
[FONT=&]10. Ecologist Kenneth Watt told Time that, “At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&]11. Barry Commoner predicted that decaying organic pollutants would use up all of the oxygen in America’s rivers, causing freshwater fish to suffocate.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]12. Paul Ehrlich chimed in, predicting in 1970 that “air pollution…is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone.” Ehrlich sketched a scenario in which 200,000 Americans would die in 1973 during “smog disasters” in New York and Los Angeles.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]13. Paul Ehrlich warned in the May 1970 issue of Audubon that DDT and other chlorinated hydrocarbons “may have substantially reduced the life expectancy of people born since 1945.” Ehrlich warned that Americans born since 1946…now had a life expectancy of only 49 years, and he predicted that if current patterns continued this expectancy would reach 42 years by 1980, when it might level out. (Note: According to the most recent CDC report, life expectancy in the US is 78.8 years).[/FONT]
[FONT=&]14. Ecologist Kenneth Watt declared, “By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.'”[/FONT]
[FONT=&]15. Harrison Brown, a scientist at the National Academy of Sciences, published a chart in Scientific American that looked at metal reserves and estimated the humanity would totally run out of copper shortly after 2000. Lead, zinc, tin, gold, and silver would be gone before 1990.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]16. Sen. Gaylord Nelson wrote in Look that, “Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&]17. In 1975, Paul Ehrlich predicted that “since more than nine-tenths of the original tropical rainforests will be removed in most areas within the next 30 years or so, it is expected that half of the organisms in these areas will vanish with it.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&]18. Kenneth Watt warned about a pending Ice Age in a speech. “The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years,” he declared. “If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”[/FONT]
Its a classical strawman argument and some of that can still come true and none of that addresses the science behind global warming today. :rolleyes:
Denying GW will not make it go away.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
No strawman argument, I just thought it was interesting. I dont deny GW. I just happen to believe we are in an intergalatial period and that the warming would occur even if we were still chucking spears at mastadons.

Do I believe the burning of fossil fuels can contribute? Sure. But I dont believe for a second that we are influential enough on earth's climate that we will prevent the next ice age.

And I certainly dont think al gore buying carbon credits as he flys around the world is the answer.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I just happen to believe we are in an intergalatial period and that the warming would occur even if we were still chucking spears at mastadons.

I dont believe for a second that we are influential enough on earth's climate that we will prevent the next ice age.

And I certainly dont think al gore buying carbon credits as he flys around the world is the answer.
Well that settles it.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'll go on record as being all in on reducing temps...we're above normal here and close to breaking record highs. That little break we had on Friday sure didn't last as long as I would have liked! :redface:

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Well that settles it.
So, do you believe that our planet will not go through future ice ages? Just curious.

We are in an ice age RIGHT NOW. Within large ice ages are smaller ice ages and WARMING periods called Interglacials. It has been happening for millions of years like this.These interglacials (warm periods) usually take 10-15 thousand years during which the polar ice caps melt. Ol lady earth will then spend roughly the next 80-90 thousand years re-freezing.

At least this is what I learned in graduate school many moons ago. I have read nothing that leads me to believe this cycle will not continue long after we are gone.Now is it possible that MMGW has lengthened this cyclical warming period? Sure, I could see that. But I believe the Earth will freeze again, and relatively soon if you think in geological time, and our descendants will look back and laugh at how silly we were for fretting over 2 degrees Celsius

Of course after living in the South my entire life, the next glacial period will be a welcome relief! Have a good one and RTR!

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
So, do you believe that our planet will not go through future ice ages? Just curious.

We are in an ice age RIGHT NOW. Within large ice ages are smaller ice ages and WARMING periods called Interglacials. It has been happening for millions of years like this.These interglacials (warm periods) usually take 10-15 thousand years during which the polar ice caps melt. Ol lady earth will then spend roughly the next 80-90 thousand years re-freezing.

At least this is what I learned in graduate school many moons ago. I have read nothing that leads me to believe this cycle will not continue long after we are gone.Now is it possible that MMGW has lengthened this cyclical warming period? Sure, I could see that. But I believe the Earth will freeze again, and relatively soon if you think in geological time, and our descendants will look back and laugh at how silly we were for fretting over 2 degrees Celsius

Of course after living in the South my entire life, the next glacial period will be a welcome relief! Have a good one and RTR!
Unless you have pursued advanced studies in climate science, I don't really care what your opinion is. Sorry to be so blunt, but there's a culture of anti-intellectualism (mostly) on the right that seems to manifest by normal people thinking their opinions on niche, complex subjects are equivalent to those of experts who have studied these problems for years. I don't care about Trump's opinion on global warming for the same reason. And if I had an "opinion" on a certain physical chemistry reaction and a bonafide chemist swings by to tell me I'm wrong, my unstudied opinion would not be equivalent to theirs.

Whether we're talking about climate change, fiscal policy, or any number of issues, the GOP's embrace of "truthiness" might be the thing that destroys us all.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Come on man, you are allowed to have original thoughts and opinions. Rachel Madcow won't mind. :smile:You don't have to apologize though. I get it. It is on TV everyday. People that can't or won't discuss things, would rather put on black masks and throw rocks at people and block intersections...it is unfortunately where we are as a society.

I just assumed a discussion board was for, well, discussion. But I admit I am new here and have not learned all the intricacies. Best of luck, dude! RTR!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Come on man, you are allowed to have original thoughts and opinions. Rachel Madcow won't mind. :smile:You don't have to apologize though. I get it. It is on TV everyday. People that can't or won't discuss things, would rather put on black masks and throw rocks at people and block intersections...it is unfortunately where we are as a society.

I just assumed a discussion board was for, well, discussion. But I admit I am new here and have not learned all the intricacies. Best of luck, dude! RTR!
i was thinking you must be

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Or run around beating up people because they spoke up. “Proud Boys” my smelly behind. They did get the “Boys” part right, though. Immature punks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.