Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. UMO...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I’m ready to get to the bye week. Get past Tennessee without getting banged up any worse.

Defense looked much better tonight. Offense was about a B-. Red Zone misses where we settled for FGs and getting “stoned” on 4 and 1 were big issues. Offensive line pass blocking is very good. The run blocking isn’t where it needs to be. And we will need to improve in the ground game for LSU, MSU and the Barn.

Punting? Hate to say it, but DeLong looks to be toast mentally.

If the SEC office reviews the Davis punching incident then I hope we compile a trove of clips of the dirty crap Mizzou got away with. Not justifying what Davis did, but he was baited into that.

BTW Levy and Griese made fools out of themselves last night, along with Todd McShay. Did anyone catch the “wait they (Bama) had 3rd and 8 ? What about the personal foul face mask (which Mizzou declined)? And McShay jumped in too. Do these bozos actually watch the game or are the busy updating their glamour shots for their ESPN profile? And never even commented on the Ruggs injury or how it happened but went overboard on the Davis’ thing.

Last edited:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Their QB isn't better than Mizzou's but their receivers certainly are. Even though it was a dominant win there were fortunate bounces that prevented a closer game. There was a good deal of dropped balls that Lock put on the money that his Wrs dropped, and I'm still not sold that our Lbs can cover in passing yet.

I still think with a healthy Tua Bama wins like 48-17
My concern is will Tua be healthy. Saban did not seem convincing to me when he said Tua was okay. And we really need Devonte Smith. I am not sure Jalen can win us that game, even though he has improved from last year.

TexasRed

3rd Team
Nov 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Would this be a Pyrrhic victory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. It's not close to a Pyrrhic victory. A Pyrrhic victory is one that leaves the victor so depleted that it might as well count as a loss because the victor cannot continue. So a Pyrrhic victory is a victory only in name. I would also add that the depletion of the forces would have to some extent be based on the strategy or plan of a attack of the victor, basically that the only way to win would be to make the too great sacrifice that ultimately spells his downfall. So this win does not qualify as a Pyrrhic victory for several reasons. One, we actually won the game rather handily even though we did not look as good as we have in our previous games. Two, even with the injuries, we are not a completely depleted team. And three, to the extent that we suffered any losses, they were more the result of just bad luck than some necessary all-out effort required to get the win.

Regards,
Tim

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't think Saban is going to indicate the degree of Tua's knee. Yeah, I heard him, he said Tua could have went back in but the score didn't deem it necessary. But Tua's limp when walking was very, very noticeable and you could tell putting weight on it bothered him. I sure would like to give him three weeks rest rather than the standard two before the LSU game. LSU's offense isn't pretty to watch but they are very physical on the OL and they were pushing UGA around all game. My guess is we are going to have to bring an extra man in the box and leave our cb's on islands against them. I never thought I would see Kirby's defensive line getting pushed three and four yards down the field on running plays. Granted, I agree that this UGA team isn't as strong as last years, but they aren't hot garbage either. They are a well above average DL that got man handled by LSU's OL. Burrow reminds me a lot of some of Alabama quarterbacks in the past. If you only look at his stats you basically say the guy isn't any good. But when you watch the game you realize he makes a lot of big plays that simply do not show up in the stats that contribute to them winning. We need to make sure he truly has a bad game.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Chechem

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2018
Deep South
I don't think Saban is going to indicate the degree of Tua's knee. Yeah, I heard him, he said Tua could have went back in but the score didn't deem it necessary. But Tua's limp when walking was very, very noticeable and you could tell putting weight on it bothered him. I sure would like to give him three weeks rest rather than the standard two before the LSU game. ...
Wish we COULD rest him. But Jalen didn't look good, albeit completing almost all of his passes. Maybe he'd be better if he KNEW he was starting. He's good at taking responsibility when necessary. BUT, can we beat UT in Knoxville this year? Prolly, but...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We were bad in red zone because of Tua’s limitations running. Plus it appeared we were trying things out. That didn’t concern me.

Lock’s job is to throw a catchable ball. If too many WRs are dropping passes that goes back to the QB. That’s a huge Tua’s strength.

D-Man Tua has 2 TDS called back because of bogus Holding calls. Cost us 11 pts. Tua really would have had 5 TDS and 350 yards in first half.

Take back those two bad holding calls there’s no fumble and no early tweak of knee. There is also no “red zone efficiency” discussion.

All in all. I’m extremely happy. They played a great game and I’m happy the injuries weren’t worse. Vince McMahon was scouting Mizzou for talent.
I dont think we were trying something in redzone. We should've ran the ball each times. I think saban said something about that at halftime.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I dont think we were trying something in redzone. We should've ran the ball each times. I think saban said something about that at halftime.

He did. Tua was especially having trouble with his fade because of his knee. We've always had a jumbo package, with a big, athletic DL as the lead blocker. IDK what's happened to that play/formation. I like it better than overthrown (and covered) fades to the corner...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I don't think Saban is going to indicate the degree of Tua's knee. Yeah, I heard him, he said Tua could have went back in but the score didn't deem it necessary. But Tua's limp when walking was very, very noticeable and you could tell putting weight on it bothered him. I sure would like to give him three weeks rest rather than the standard two before the LSU game. LSU's offense isn't pretty to watch but they are very physical on the OL and they were pushing UGA around all game. My guess is we are going to have to bring an extra man in the box and leave our cb's on islands against them. I never thought I would see Kirby's defensive line getting pushed three and four yards down the field on running plays. Granted, I agree that this UGA team isn't as strong as last years, but they aren't hot garbage either. They are a well above average DL that got man handled by LSU's OL. Burrow reminds me a lot of some of Alabama quarterbacks in the past. If you only look at his stats you basically say the guy isn't any good. But when you watch the game you realize he makes a lot of big plays that simply do not show up in the stats that contribute to them winning. We need to make sure he truly has a bad game.
When a QB with a 50% completion percentage who regularly makes bad decisions beats this Bama team I’ll become a Barner. [emoji6]

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Kinda like Georgia in their first drive of the game? Jammed it down LSU’s throat on all runs IIRC and three straight incompletions in the red zone. Then a stupid fake field goal.
Holyfield averaged 8 yds per carry yesterday; Swift averaged 6. LSU MOST DEFINITELY did not even slow them down. Kirby blew it.
I’m all for keeping defenses honest, but when you rush for 6-8 yds a clip you don’t abandon the run. Dawgs only ran the ball 23 times (19 between Swift and Holyfield). You see the result of that if the passing game doesn’t pull up the slack. RUN THE DANG BALL!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Haven't read all the posts, but this was the most discombobulated, difficult game to watch. TT was hurting -- that was evident. I don't complain about officiating -- that's for losers -- but this was brutal for both sides. These guys were so far behind the game...made the flow really difficult. If you can't call the worst one's, then don't call any...let 'em play.

The nature of the run calls really perplexed me...tried to keep it inside too much and telegraphed what we were doing. Some toss sweeps or swing passes might have helped...but what do I know? Really impressed with how JH kept his cool...and the defense. Even with RK's venture into fisticuffs.

Got my cigar ready....

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
On a lighter note, I couldn't help but wonder if ESPN announcer Steve Levy had made a personal wager on Bama last night. After we scored the final TD in the 4th quarter I thought Levy described Bulovas upcoming extra point as "important". After thinking about it for a moment I realized the point spread on the game was 28 and we ended up winning by 29.:)

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
On a lighter note, I couldn't help but wonder if ESPN announcer Steve Levy had made a personal wager on Bama last night. After we scored the final TD in the 4th quarter I thought Levy described Bulovas upcoming extra point as "important". After thinking about it for a moment I realized the point spread on the game was 28 and we ended up winning by 29.:)
I felt that the ESPN booth and the game producer did about as poor a job as any game I have seen. It appears to me that ESPN doesn't care at all about delivering a quality broadcast and are only concerned with getting into the next promotion and ad break. It is ridiculous for the announcers to complain about an official play review taking too much time when TV is the greatest culprit to disjointed and lengthy games. The CBS games are a pleasure compared to watching them on ESPN.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.