Tua's Knee

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There was a rumor circulating early last week that Tua had his knee scoped. Saban debunked it when he said Tua took his usual reps in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
If that's the case then it needs to happen now. We need him back for LSU. We can beat Tennessee without him and even if we lose(not happening) we still would make the SECCG and the Playoffs if we win out.
I do believe we have better athletes than Tennessee but I also know if we are without Tua and momentum gets on their side we could have a tough time. Everybody we’ve played seems to sell out to stop the run...which is ok if you have a pinpoint passer like Tua.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
IDK if there's really a choice, although I dread facing CJP with Jalen, given his knowledge and reps practicing against JH...
While I agree, JH is far better this year than last year, and tennessee doesn't have the horses to line up and blast Bama. If the OL shows up and finally executes on their run blocking like they ought to be able to, tennessee can't stop Bama. But at this point, I'm wondering what's happening with the OL - they're solid in pass pro,, but when you can't get a needed yard (or less) on several occasions, I'm puzzled.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IDK if there's really a choice, although I dread facing CJP with Jalen, given his knowledge and reps practicing against JH...
Agreed, but LSU is your only real threat to a CFP trip this season, IMO. I believe that you can beat TN with Jalen 9/10 times. I don't think that you will beat LSU this year without Tua.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I do believe we have better athletes than Tennessee but I also know if we are without Tua and momentum gets on their side we could have a tough time. Everybody we’ve played seems to sell out to stop the run...which is ok if you have a pinpoint passer like Tua.
To be honest, I think many are selling JH short right now - he's become a legit threat at QB. I know much of his work comes when Bama is up by three scores, but that doesn't mean the opposing coaches don't game plan for JH, nor does it mean their starting defenses aren't trying to stop him. But his numbers don't lie:

I hope they don't have to, but Bama can win out the regular season with JH. I'm certain of it.

Attachments

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
There was a rumor circulating early last week that Tua had his knee scoped. Saban debunked it when he said Tua took his usual reps in practice.

Very possible. That would explain why he wasn't stepping into his throws and when he went down in the third quarter maybe that was when the pain meds wore off. Obviously if it was a serious injury he wouldn't have been in the game to begin with. At least that's my hope. Reminds me somewhat of McCarrons injury in 2012.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If he was already scoped, what we saw would make sense. On the play when Tua re-injured his knee, the heel/foot on the injured leg caught on the grass for a split second as he started his slide. So it could be as simple as him aggravating the inflamed tissue. It would already have been sore. That would have really ramped up the pain and inflammation.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Agreed, but LSU is your only real threat to a CFP trip this season, IMO. I believe that you can beat TN with Jalen 9/10 times. I don't think that you will beat LSU this year without Tua.
Maybe not. But don't underestimate Jalen. He's much better this year than last. If the defense plays well, Jalen is perfectly able to score enough points to win.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You are completely correct that recovery without surgery is unpredictable. Without looking at his MRI and knowing the exact results its hard to say about a non-surgical recovery. Early repair of any injury is ALWAYS the recommended treatment. However, if he does get the knee scope he could probably be back in two - three weeks if everything goes smoothly. If this truly is his injury he would have been better served to had his knee scoped this past Monday and sat out the Missouri and Tennessee game and had the buy week and probably would have been ready to go by the LSU game. Now that they have waited I would say he would definitely miss the LSU game if he does have the knee scoped now.
True, and even MRIs can be misleading. Also, it's worth pointing out that this information is 2nd-3rd hand and only the surgeons at Andrews know for sure...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
As much as I want Tua healthy, I want Devonta Smith and Ruggs healthy as well. Last night was almost nightmarish when all three left the game. Hopefully they are all back by LSU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As much as I want Tua healthy, I want Devonta Smith and Ruggs healthy as well. Last night was almost nightmarish when all three left the game. Hopefully they are all back by LSU.
Saban said that Ruggs is fine - ankle

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I work for an orthopedic surgeon in Huntsville and one of our surgical device reps told me on Thursday that Tua has a partially torn meniscus to his knee. This type of injury will require a knee arthroscopy or "scope", for those of you not in orthopedics, in his near future. The surgical reps said he knows a few trainers in the athletic department and thats where he got his information from. In my honest opinion, someone who is an orthopedic nurse practitioner, I believe Tua has more than just a knee sprain. He did not look comfortable at the beginning of the game, switched knee braces during the game from a hinged brace to a regular sports support brace, and after his slide had to go into the tent and put the hinge knee brace back on. He was also favorably limping after the game. If this truly is the injury that he has, Dr. Cain or whatever Andrews Sports Physician he chooses, should do the surgery sooner than later. Tua would be out for around 3-4 weeks for recovery and would have him healthy by the end of the season for Auburn/SEC Championship/Playoff's. Yes that would have him sit out the Tennessee Game, and LSU Game, and maybe the Miss State game, and would probably damage his Heisman hopes for this year. It's definitely not an ideal situation, but I would hate for him to damage his knee any further.
How does this not violate HIPAA? I’d think the athletic trainers should be careful telling someone this info.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
"We don't think there's any issues or problems with it," - CNS commenting on Tua's knee, after the game.
Why would he say this if there were anything more than the sore sprain he still says is the issue?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Maybe not. But don't underestimate Jalen. He's much better this year than last. If the defense plays well, Jalen is perfectly able to score enough points to win.
Agree 100%. If the rest of the team plays like last night, JH can beat anyone left on the schedule.
He’s better now than 95% of the QB’s in the FBS, IMO. That wasn’t the case last year.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I honestly believe that LSU will lose to MSU this weekend. It's going to be a close game but don't be surprised if MSU pulls it off.

But back to TT ... I hate it for the kid, he's having an amazing year. Hoping that everything can be rectified with his knee to where he can play his best for the remainder of the season. All is this makes JH makes his growth and his decision to stay even more key to this season IMO.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
"We don't think there's any issues or problems with it," - CNS commenting on Tua's knee, after the game.
Why would he say this if there were anything more than the sore sprain he still says is the issue?
Lots of possible reasons - we all know that we really don't know.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
How does this not violate HIPAA? I’d think the athletic trainers should be careful telling someone this info.
I remember the same thing happened when Minkah got injured against Clemson last year and there were rumors coming out right before the national championship game. People need to be held accountable for crap like this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.