Tua's Knee

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Watched a few replays of the play Tua fumbled on. While watching him setup to throw, it appears he is not setting his front foot right. Got to assume its a better issue then a bruise. Thoughts...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Watched a few replays of the play Tua fumbled on. While watching him setup to throw, it appears he is not setting his front foot right. Got to assume its a better issue then a bruise. Thoughts...
Sprain - which means that there was some tissue tearing.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Several of his missed throws were high, which to me is possibly attributable to not shifting weight normally when throwing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Do you think it would be worth sitting Tua against Tennessee? Hurts has done great work there, and perhaps a solid 2 weeks off would be beneficial. I don't think we need Tua to win there, but he can still be dressed ready to go?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Do you think it would be worth sitting Tua against Tennessee? Hurts has done great work there, and perhaps a solid 2 weeks off would be beneficial. I don't think we need Tua to win there, but he can still be dressed ready to go?
I’d play him in the first quarter and protect the hell out of him

careeves

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 19, 2007
Huntsville
In my honest opinion, someone who is an orthopedic nurse practitioner, I believe Tua has more than just a knee sprain. He did not look comfortable at the beginning of the game, switched knee braces during the game from a hinged brace to a regular sports support brace, and after his slide had to go into the tent and put the hinge knee brace back on. He was also favorably limping after the game. If this truly is the injury that he has, Dr. Cain or whatever Andrews Sports Physician he chooses, should do the surgery sooner than later. Tua would be out for around 3-4 weeks for recovery and would have him healthy by the end of the season for Auburn/SEC Championship/Playoff's. Yes that would have him sit out the Tennessee Game, and LSU Game, and maybe the Miss State game, and would probably damage his Heisman hopes for this year. It's definitely not an ideal situation, but I would hate for him to damage his knee any further.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I agree to starting Tua for at least 2 series. But no scrambling or running. Just hand the ball off, or drop back and pass. It would help a lot if he could get us a touchdown or two before Jalen goes in. I do think Jalen will do well against the viles. 38 to 17 is still good. Any win at any score is still good against the ugly orange.
But it all depends on just what the issue is with his knee.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I work for an orthopedic surgeon in Huntsville and one of our surgical device reps told me on Thursday that Tua has a partially torn meniscus to his knee. This type of injury will require a knee arthroscopy or "scope", for those of you not in orthopedics, in his near future. The surgical reps said he knows a few trainers in the athletic department and thats where he got his information from. In my honest opinion, someone who is an orthopedic nurse practitioner, I believe Tua has more than just a knee sprain. He did not look comfortable at the beginning of the game, switched knee braces during the game from a hinged brace to a regular sports support brace, and after his slide had to go into the tent and put the hinge knee brace back on. He was also favorably limping after the game. If this truly is the injury that he has, Dr. Cain or whatever Andrews Sports Physician he chooses, should do the surgery sooner than later. Tua would be out for around 3-4 weeks for recovery and would have him healthy by the end of the season for Auburn/SEC Championship/Playoff's.
With that news, it's likely to bother him the rest of the season. As you know, with where you work, meniscus repair consists largely of trimming off the damaged part. I've had five, with the first one concurrent with ACL graft. The second was unpredictable. The surgeon didn't get a piece of cartilage out. I could sometimes go and play basketball for an hour and half and other times, I'd limp off after a few minutes. I practically had to beg him to go back in. The relief was instant, after the floating chip was removed. The last one, the surgeon showed me the pix and the right lateral looked like a shredded lace curtain. His term was "lacerated." The point I'm making is that recovery without surgery is unpredictable, so I lean towards early repair. With modern methods of relieving inflammation, some athletes have made it back in as little as two weeks...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
With that news, it's likely to bother him the rest of the season. As you know, with where you work, meniscus repair consists largely of trimming off the damaged part. I've had five, with the first one concurrent with ACL graft. The second was unpredictable. The surgeon didn't get a piece of cartilage out. I could sometimes go and play basketball for an hour and half and other times, I'd limp off after a few minutes. I practically had to beg him to go back in. The relief was instant, after the floating chip was removed. The last one, the surgeon showed me the pix and the right lateral looked like a shredded lace curtain. His term was "lacerated." The point I'm making is that recovery without surgery is unpredictable, so I lean towards early repair. With modern methods of relieving inflammation, some athletes have made it back in as little as two weeks...
If that's the case then it needs to happen now. We need him back for LSU. We can beat Tennessee without him and even if we lose(not happening) we still would make the SECCG and the Playoffs if we win out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If all of this is true, Saban and Tua are getting the best possible advice based on his EXACT condition. If surgery is the answer, I expect to hear in the next day or two that he had surgery. It is an outpatient procedure and the recovery can be as little as 2 weeks.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
If that is the case, then it is not going to get better on its own. Need to face up to it, and get it over with ASAP.

Maybe he will be available, if needed, at L7U.

careeves

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 19, 2007
Huntsville
You are completely correct that recovery without surgery is unpredictable. Without looking at his MRI and knowing the exact results its hard to say about a non-surgical recovery. Early repair of any injury is ALWAYS the recommended treatment. However, if he does get the knee scope he could probably be back in two - three weeks if everything goes smoothly. If this truly is his injury he would have been better served to had his knee scoped this past Monday and sat out the Missouri and Tennessee game and had the buy week and probably would have been ready to go by the LSU game. Now that they have waited I would say he would definitely miss the LSU game if he does have the knee scoped now.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I work for an orthopedic surgeon in Huntsville and one of our surgical device reps told me on Thursday that Tua has a partially torn meniscus to his knee. This type of injury will require a knee arthroscopy or "scope", for those of you not in orthopedics, in his near future. The surgical reps said he knows a few trainers in the athletic department and thats where he got his information from. In my honest opinion, someone who is an orthopedic nurse practitioner, I believe Tua has more than just a knee sprain. He did not look comfortable at the beginning of the game, switched knee braces during the game from a hinged brace to a regular sports support brace, and after his slide had to go into the tent and put the hinge knee brace back on. He was also favorably limping after the game. If this truly is the injury that he has, Dr. Cain or whatever Andrews Sports Physician he chooses, should do the surgery sooner than later. Tua would be out for around 3-4 weeks for recovery and would have him healthy by the end of the season for Auburn/SEC Championship/Playoff's. Yes that would have him sit out the Tennessee Game, and LSU Game, and maybe the Miss State game, and would probably damage his Heisman hopes for this year. It's definitely not an ideal situation, but I would hate for him to damage his knee any further.
If true, I can't imagine why CNS played him at all against Mizzou. He should have had the "scope" a week ago, in my non expert opinion.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If all of this is true, Saban and Tua are getting the best possible advice based on his EXACT condition. If surgery is the answer, I expect to hear in the next day or two that he had surgery. It is an outpatient procedure and the recovery can be as little as 2 weeks.
IDK if there's really a choice, although I dread facing CJP with Jalen, given his knowledge and reps practicing against JH...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.