Punter Situation for Alabama

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Do we now look at somebody else? Delong is struggling bad and his last punt last night was horrible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
DeShort's punts are so bad, we would do as well holding open tryouts among the student body for a punter.
We could have a Punter of the week...
I'm really disillusioned with his game.

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
DeShort's punts are so bad, we would do as well holding open tryouts among the student body for a punter.
We could have a Punter of the week...
I'm really disillusioned with his game.
Ok, everybody is unhappy with the punting situation. I'd bet nobody feels worse than the kid. Please, let's not stoop to mocking a Bama player.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
I'm willing to cut the kid some slack.... You don't think all this "he can't kick" stuff isn't affecting him. Maybe we should say "Hey Sky, we got your back, you can do this!!". Maybe that is the message we need to send.... Kids got a ton of pressure following JK...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Ok, everybody is unhappy with the punting situation. I'd bet nobody feels worse than the kid. Please, let's not stoop to mocking a Bama player.
I don't think anyone is mocking him. We went through this with Adam Griffith, Jalen Hurts, and others....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
A swap needs to happen. I punted in HS. You don’t go out and notice the crowd and what’s coming at you, it’s not your job. You let the center know you want the ball and your head is down from there on out. You should never see anything but the ball between the centers legs and then it flying to your hands. If he can’t do any better than this at this point in the season, he needs some pine time to get his head right. Let the other guy or some random player punt. They are bound to get it more than 12 yds downfield.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A swap needs to happen. I punted in HS. You don’t go out and notice the crowd and what’s coming at you, it’s not your job. You let the center know you want the ball and your head is down from there on out. You should never see anything but the ball between the centers legs and then it flying to your hands. If he can’t do any better than this at this point in the season, he needs some pine time to get his head right. Let the other guy or some random player punt. They are bound to get it more than 12 yds downfield.
I think it was 13 yards, rather than the 10 I first estimated to my wife... :D

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Skyler is a good punter, with a confidence problem that is putting a hitch in his swing. I'd give you a dollar to a donut he hits 50 yarders in practice. He needs to kick loose, but that is tough do when you know better than anybody that you are shanking it. I'm not a kick doctor but I suspect the backup guy is getting some looks. It may help Skyler also, to take the pressure off.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Sometimes you hit it too far off the side of your foot when trying really hard to make it a pretty spiral. Most of mine weren’t “pretty” but I averaged on the upper side of 40 yds just sticking my foot into the ball, hitting it perfectly turned into a 68 yd bomb. All I’m saying is to quit trying to make it perfect at this point and just stick your foot in it.
Skyler is a good punter, with a confidence problem that is putting a hitch in his swing. I'd give you a dollar to a donut he hits 50 yarders in practice. He needs to kick loose, but that is tough do when you know better than anybody that you are shanking it. I'm not a kick doctor but I suspect the backup guy is getting some looks. It may help Skyler also, to take the pressure off.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He wouldn't be at Alabama on Scholly if he couldn't kick it. You are right about it being mental. You could see how methodical he tried to be on that kick last night. No way to do anything that needs speed being that methodical. It's like a golf swing, to some extent: got to relax and then your muscles can move faster/quicker when relaxed/not tensed.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I have looked at that play OVER and OVER and Over again when Tua went down PAST the 1st DOWN yard marker. That should have been a FIRST Down and Alabama should NOT have had to PUNT 12 yards.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I don't want to kick the kid while he is down. But if I were to kick him like he punts, he wouldn't feel a thing.

Fact is he got one job, and he's not getting it done. Time give someone else a chance.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I have looked at that play OVER and OVER and Over again when Tua went down PAST the 1st DOWN yard marker. That should have been a FIRST Down and Alabama should NOT have had to PUNT 12 yards.
Yeah, that was a head scratcher....................blind refs or slightly biased, don't know what they were thinking

Hope Delong gets it all worked out............but I'd also get the walk-on ready to go

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
While we are on the subjects of penalties, how did we get a [Offensive] holding penalty, which last I knew was 10 yds or half the distance to the goal, and come out 3rd and 8????

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.