Punter Situation for Alabama

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Either way, he was past the sticks when he started the slide. I watched the replay again today. The officials were as much of a joke yesterday as Steve Levy and Brian Griese. I hope we never get them for play by play again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, Steve Levy is a smart aleck who is just not funny or good at his craft. IMO, he is my least favorite of all time. Beth Mowins is a huge step up. He is extremely irritating to me.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
He has only had one bad punt in the last 3 weeks. Seriously, he doesn't get many opportunities to get into a rhythm. Sit on the bench all night and finally have to come in after practicing in the net all night. If he is looking good at practice, I would give him the UT game to show his stuff.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I haven’t watched the replay, but I thought the runner was down when the slide starts. So now I’m wondering which it is, when the slide starts or when he hits the ground?
The NFL rule definition of “slide starts” is what I quoted. Any part of the body other than hands or feet touching the ground. NCAA supposedly adopted the NFL slide rule a couple of years ago. There has to be a definitive measure of something like that - otherwise someone could say that the slide starts when he turned sideways, which is what it looks like the replay guys were doing Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
Pardon me but I haven't read the whole thread so if this has been asked I apologize. Is it against NCAA rules to have a really good former NFL punter come in for a few days and work with our punter? I think JK is pretty busy right now but he would be my first choice.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
For those of you who have been to games and have seen warm ups, what does he look like there?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For those of you who have been to games and have seen warm ups, what does he look like there?
I saw him warm up a few times this year and he looked pretty consistent - no complete shanks like we have seen in games. Someone posted that he looked terrible in the warm-up before this game, though.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I am very reluctant to pile on a player, usually if I do post criticism I don't even name them specifically.

Alabama's punter isn't only having issues with shanks. As far as I'm aware, only one put has gone over 40 yards, and that one got a really nice roll. So, the shanks are a concern, but he honestly hasn't hit a single punt really well.

To give an example, his long excluding the one that rolled really well is 39. Even if he averaged that, he would be about the 80th ranked punter in college football. He doesn't average that though, instead he's the worst punter in college football and it's not even close. He fell off the list because he doesn't have enough punts, but the 96th ranked guy (who is dead last of the punters who qualified) is averaging 36.9.

Alabama's punter is averaging 34.4. Alabama is basically spotting the other team a first down every time they punt. Honestly this seems to go beyond mere mental problems and seems to extend to some sort of physical problem (like AG). He hasn't really boomed a single punt all year as far as I can recall.
We need to get a great punter for next year. I watched some of the replay of the TexasAM vs SC game, and Texas AM punter looks great. I think he punted one 70 plus yards. At least give the other guy on the roster a try. I know it's hard to get in game experience when our offense is so good, but geez....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I saw him warm up a few times this year and he looked pretty consistent - no complete shanks like we have seen in games. Someone posted that he looked terrible in the warm-up before this game, though.
It's possible he's injured. I know that AG was fighting a severe back injury while everyone was dogging his FG kicking...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's possible he's injured. I know that AG was fighting a severe back injury while everyone was dogging his FG kicking...
Agreed, but the look of disgust on Saban's face after the punt against Mizzou says that Saban isn't happy with the results no matter the cause. I just wonder if he is ready to give someone else a shot.

BamaWally

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2012
I watched him punt in warm ups Saturday. Nothing overly spectacular, but nothing horrendous either. Looked like in the 40-50 yard range consistently. No shanks, but no boomers either.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Pardon me but I haven't read the whole thread so if this has been asked I apologize. Is it against NCAA rules to have a really good former NFL punter come in for a few days and work with our punter? I think JK is pretty busy right now but he would be my first choice.
NCAA violation. If he's working directly with a player, hands-on coaching, then he would exceed the ten coaches allowed...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.