Punter Situation for Alabama

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Well he was one punt away from being able to. I'm not sure Alabama is ready to give up on him yet this season, they need a good kicker and right now they're going with what is in essence an emergency backup.
Maybe do punter by committee. He will recover and perform better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Maybe do punter by committee.
There could be some logic to that. Alabama has used multiple place kickers before, and it's fairly routine to have a different guy for kickoffs. That logic could carry over to punters. It could make sense to just use DeLong when we are trying to pin a team deep for instance (one area he's supposedly better at, and also one in which a shank isn't as costly really, since it's not kicking it into the end zone) and may be that could build his confidence.

Bernier is erratic to though, he has a lot of long punts to his name (something DeLong has only one of this season) but still a mediocre average, so he probably can't be a long term solution. When your long for a game is 48 or 49 and your average that game is 35 or 36, you're kicking some short ones to...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I scratch my head when I think about the Temple kicker who is a graduate transfer and his performance and compare him with LSU's kicker also a graduate transfer from Assumption College who seemingly is automatic up to 45-48 yards. I wonder how did we miss that guy. Are we ever going to get an Australian punter? Hopefully the new commit from Hoover for next year will be the real deal.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I scratch my head when I think about the Temple kicker who is a graduate transfer and his performance and compare him with LSU's kicker also a graduate transfer from Assumption College who seemingly is automatic up to 45-48 yards. I wonder how did we miss that guy. Are we ever going to get an Australian punter? Hopefully the new commit from Hoover for next year will be the real deal.

I hope Bama scores enough vs LSU that I don’t have to have anxiety about the kicker or punter . If it comes down to a field goal I’ll need to close my eyes!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The 2019 3* #2 rated punter in the country goes to Hillcrest high school in Tuscaloosa is currently committed to Notre Dame. Haven’t heard mention of offer from Bama. Let that sink in for a minute...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jay Bramblett. Great kid. Great family. Two older brothers went to Bama. Brother Geoffrey was a pitcher on the baseball team.

Family are big time Bama fans. Jay was in a position where Bama signed DeLong last year a there wasn’t a slot. I know he did well in all the kicking camps this summer. Mizzou, Notre Dame and few others showed interest. When the Irish offered, it was a no brainer.

Would have loved to seen him in Crimson though.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is a matter of time before we get a punt block with either of our options but at least we got em off for 40 yards today.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The punts were not especially pretty, but the new punter gets off two punts of 41 yards each. Excluding the one that rolled really far, the previous punters long was 39... I'll take 40 yard ugly punts.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It is a matter of time before we get a punt block with either of our options but at least we got em off for 40 yards today.
I was glad to see a couple of good punts yesterday 40 yards with no return. I do agree with rgw, Bernier looks really slow in his kicking motion.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.