Punter Situation for Alabama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Have to look at someone else. Delong is a mess and Alabama will need a punter at some point.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Wonder how he is in practice without the pressure. We should've had a punter last year sitting out to get acclimated to college life and big time college football. He's trying to have to do all of it at once and he's struggling. Fort Mill has a population of 10k, but it's thirty minutes from Charlotte, he just might not be used to crowds this size watching football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Wonder how he is in practice without the pressure. We should've had a punter last year sitting out to get acclimated to college life and big time college football. He's trying to have to do all of it at once and he's struggling. Fort Mill has a population of 10k, but it's thirty minutes from Charlotte, he just might not be used to crowds this size watching football.

I've got little sympathy for kickers and punters. My uncle was a kicker/punter. I was a kicker/punter. It's not as hard as Alabama makes it look, especially punting. My uncle still holds the record at his high school for longest FG at 52 yards.

We need to make a change at punter. Forget all the directional garbage or back spin or placement - just let him kick the ball as high and long as he can. I'd rather teams start from the 25 than this mess. Apparently hes got a very strong leg but the fact that hes struggling on mechanics is troublesome...given that there aren't that many mechanics for kicking a ball in a straight line.

Sorry to pile onto the kid but with the way hes kicking he wouldn't be on the 3 deep at Hoover high school, much less the starting punter for Alabama.

I'm glad Saban has stuck with him to this point, trying to instill confidence and "be behind" his guy...but it's time for a change.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yeah, I have to admit that I was wondering if there isn't someone else available to try. The punt last night looked like they pulled a kid out of the stands.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
For me I wish they would do away with kickers. They are apparently mental basket cases who must be treated with tenderness and kid gloves -- and I wonder what in heck they are doing playing tackle football with men. Just put them and us out of our misery.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Is Mac Wilson really the back up punter? Who else is? Is Mac's foot injury on his punting leg? Saban needs to do something this week at practice with the punting.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I’m hoping that a punter is high on the recruiting board right now, and if they sign one and he beats out DeLong then I hope it’s adios.
Kid has a head problem - I’ve said it from day one. In the first game he had the “deer in the headlights” look, like Mike Shula at the PC announcing he was Bama’s new coach.
Some get over it, a few don’t. And the time has passed for patience. There has to be someone at UA who can punt better than that, and not just in practice.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I think a change is needed at punter not only because of the short punts but because of the length of time it takes to get the ball off. Trust me, someone is going to block one...just a matter of time.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
For me I wish they would do away with kickers. They are apparently mental basket cases who must be treated with tenderness and kid gloves -- and I wonder what in heck they are doing playing tackle football with men. Just put them and us out of our misery.
sort of like internet posters.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Like posted earlier, we need someone that can just boot it away to flip the field. Granted, I know finding someone that can boot it like JK is easier said than done, but it shouldn’t be hard to find someone who can consistently punt at least 35-40+ yards with some degree of hang time, without shanking it every couple times.

I understand that being able to put spin and precisely place the ball within the 5yd line when we are just out of field goal range takes a specific talent that DeLong is supposed to possess, but I’d rather just boot it out of the EZ and let the other team start on the 25 if it means we have a punter that can get us out of a tight spot when we’re backed up.

I keep hoping he gets over whatever has got him in a funk, and he is able to come through for the team when we really need him to.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Dude's name has him all messed up I think. Dee Liner was a victim of that. Maybe Sky needs a nickname like Rudy or Bubba and start mastering a rugby style until he gets some confidence.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.