Random Thoughts from My First Game in Decades

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
My daughter and I arrived fairly early. UA provided free parking next to Ferguson, which frankly was almost worth as much as the tickets. I took a bunch of pics, but haven't had a chance to sort through them. I'll try to get some up them up this week. Some random thoughts:

1. My phone tells me I walked 8.5 miles yesterday. My legs are not amused.

2. The campus is still as lovely as ever.

3. When did the sorority houses get so freaking big?

4. Bryant-Denny is simply beautiful--even if they did take out all the seats I spent a summer installing.

5. We were in the top deck in the north endzone, and even we could tell that Tua made the first down.

6. Daughter thought Dixieland Delight was the highlight of the trip.

7. Do NOT like the Strip. No character or personality. I miss Another Roadside Attraction, Vinyl Solution, Solomon's, International Deli, etc.

8. That said, it would have been nice to have a Publix within walking distance back in the day.

9. After lunch we took a break in Ferguson to chill and charge our phones. The entire building roared as the Vol-Barn game unfolded.

10. I had forgotten the joys of sorority game day fashion. :biggrin2::eek::biggrin2:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My daughter and I arrived fairly early. UA provided free parking next to Ferguson, which frankly was almost worth as much as the tickets. I took a bunch of pics, but haven't had a chance to sort through them. I'll try to get some up them up this week. Some random thoughts:

1. My phone tells me I walked 8.5 miles yesterday. My legs are not amused.

2. The campus is still as lovely as ever.

3. When did the sorority houses get so freaking big?

4. Bryant-Denny is simply beautiful--even if they did take out all the seats I spent a summer installing.

5. We were in the top deck in the north endzone, and even we could tell that Tua made the first down.

6. Daughter thought Dixieland Delight was the highlight of the trip.

7. Do NOT like the Strip. No character or personality. I miss Another Roadside Attraction, Vinyl Solution, Solomon's, International Deli, etc.

8. That said, it would have been nice to have a Publix within walking distance back in the day.

9. After lunch we took a break in Ferguson to chill and charge our phones. The entire building roared as the Vol-Barn game unfolded.

10. I had forgotten the joys of sorority game day fashion. :biggrin2::eek::biggrin2:
Alabama may have lost some of the small college charm,
but in my opinion they have gained as much as they lost.
You and I may be disappointed in the Strip, but the kids still love it.

In my opinion the Sorority girls have still 'Got It'. WOW.
Overall I give T-Town around the campus a grade of 'A'.
I give the Stadium an 'A+'... I love it.

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
Maybe I'm too old, but I agree with the OP on the Strip. Downtown is so much cooler to hang out at.

Vinyl Solution is much missed too.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I average getting to about one game a year and I was there Saturday. I did however arrive alone this time instead of riding with others. I was going to meet some friends for tailgate on the quad. As I walked toward the stadium from downtown where I parked I was remembering a few things about my time there. I did a little math and realized it's been 29 years since I last packed my car and left as a resident. I don't know how it happened so fast.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I fear the only way for places like the strip to get its "character" back will be the end of the Saban era and a bad transition period which causes the student enrollment to crater. Right now UA can just guide the direction of that area thanks to a litany of real estate developers wanting a slice of the pie. When the pie gets smaller, the bars will come back and the artist-anal burger shops and such will disappear.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Graduated in '89...Get back at least 2-3 times a year every year, but you are 100% correct. I'd ask where the time went, but I look at my kids and realize that's where it went...and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
I average getting to about one game a year and I was there Saturday. I did however arrive alone this time instead of riding with others. I was going to meet some friends for tailgate on the quad. As I walked toward the stadium from downtown where I parked I was remembering a few things about my time there. I did a little math and realized it's been 29 years since I last packed my car and left as a resident. I don't know how it happened so fast.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Sounds like you had a good time! The time does fly though. I tried explaining to my kids how tailgating was in the PSE (Pre Saban Era) vs. How it is now. When I left, The strip was still small, Houndstooth had not been enlarged, still had Egan's, Brass Monkey, Ivory Tusk, etc. Downtown with 4th and 23rd, 4th street billiards, and Copper Top was just starting to grow. For my crowd, the first Trolley's showing up opened up the downtown area a lot more....

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Worked the bar at The Tusk for a couple years...Me/Kelly/Shack and Janko on weekend nights!!!Sorry...memory lane...
Sounds like you had a good time! The time does fly though. I tried explaining to my kids how tailgating was in the PSE (Pre Saban Era) vs. How it is now. When I left, The strip was still small, Houndstooth had not been enlarged, still had Egan's, Brass Monkey, Ivory Tusk, etc. Downtown with 4th and 23rd, 4th street billiards, and Copper Top was just starting to grow. For my crowd, the first Trolley's showing up opened up the downtown area a lot more....

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
LOL! De Nada! I'm going to guess that with all the pretty ladies, loud music and yellowhammers we'd drink while tending, I didn't much mind...:D on TideFans.com
well, i bought more than a few beers from you. i'm sure i didn't tip worth a damn. gracias.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
copper top popped up right after i left. the guy who opened it (at least i think it was the guy who opened it) played ultimate some with us.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
The statute of limitations has long run out. I used my brother's ID to get the job. I was 20, nobody knew. Threw me a party once, didn't realize it was for me... My roommate was the mgr., so he was cool with it. Billy and Terry never found out. I know that sounds sketchy, but it's legit, it was 1986, times were a bit more lenient. And it's not like we got paychecks...we worked for tips. That was the most fun job I've ever had!!! RTR!!!
the statute of limitations has long run out. :) i was 17.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.