Who are we defensively?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Not trying to start fights
Don't want complaining

I'm looking for honest analysis from those smarter than me on what they're seeing as our faults in the defense, if/how it can be fixed, and if we have the time and experience (I know we have the talent) to make those adjustments for the upcoming challenges.

Depending on the week here's what I've seen:

Super soft coverage mostly due to confusion in the middle of the field.

Run defense that doesn't defend the run in recent weeks.

The man on man in the secondary has been intermittent. Or at least dropped off compared to the start of the season IMO.

I know, I know. It's tough for a guy to get off his defender to tackle when he's being held, but is that REALLY making that much of a difference each and every game? Instead of one guy making the tackle in previous years on run plays (to the edges) it was always a GROUP of guys, speaking to the knowledge of our D.

Help me out guys cause this is killing me and causing my already pessimistic brain to just throw in the towel.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Personally... We are a very good quasi BIG XII defense. We have a lot of talent, but our weakness is our LBs in passing coverage, and our cbs are going to get beat by superior receivers at times. Our size at LB is an issue against big physical teams. I would say our success and failure on defense is going to be based on Miller and Jennings getting to the qb. But ultimately I believe Tua is our best defense.

This assessment might change based on when/if Lewis returns and how effective he is. But ultimately I think folks are going to have to score in the upper 30's or 40's to beat us, and I don't see anyteam on our schedule that will be able to do it against this defense. Maybe the only team in the country that can do it is tOSU.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Not sure I meet the requirement to be smarter than you, but our problems (to my eye) seem to stem from inexperience and injuries and to a degree breaking in new coaches.

We also are recruiting a different brand of LB and DL in response to spread offenses proliferating across college football, which tends to lead to giving up a little against the run and especially against big physical runners.

Have nothing to go on for this other than instinct, but I believe some guys are not trusting other guys to do their jobs and that may lead to some of the "out of position" moments we are seeing.

IOW, it is mostly mental mistakes and those can be corrected with effort.

Defense played much better against Mizzou.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I don't think we know who we are yet. My big concern (other than kicking game) is I dread facing a team with good running backs and a good O-line. I dread it. We have had lots of long runs broken on us and lots of long passes (it seems, but maybe I am panicking) but I dread the run more than the pass.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A defense that is good enough with a healthy offense but isn’t what many fans want to see because not every defense in 2018 can be what Alabama had in 2015 and 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I don't think we know who we are yet. My big concern (other than kicking game) is I dread facing a team with good running backs and a good O-line. I dread it. We have had lots of long runs broken on us and lots of long passes (it seems, but maybe I am panicking) but I dread the run more than the pass.
That is my concern with LSU game. They have good running backs, and their QB is a good runner when he needs to be.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Personally... We are a very good quasi BIG XII defense. We have a lot of talent, but our weakness is our LBs in passing coverage, and our cbs are going to get beat by superior receivers at times. Our size at LB is an issue against big physical teams. I would say our success and failure on defense is going to be based on Miller and Jennings getting to the qb. But ultimately I believe Tua is our best defense.

This assessment might change based on when/if Lewis returns and how effective he is. But ultimately I think folks are going to have to score in the upper 30's or 40's to beat us, and I don't see anyteam on our schedule that will be able to do it against this defense. Maybe the only team in the country that can do it is tOSU.
Our weakness is our ILB's. They take wrong angles press the hole to much and get lost in the wash. It looked like the changed coverage responsibilities for the RB's to Safety and OLB on some plays (depends on what is called). I know Mack Wilson stepped his game some with 11 tackles, but Dylan Moses did not (only 4 tackles).

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Apparently we are as good Defensively as we need to be.
Our Defense has a number of guys who are playing because of injuries to our starters.
When Tua left the game last night our Defense got a little tougher.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
This D is a work in progress and improving week after week. It is hard to be dominant when our Offense has so many short scoring drives. If we have one more point than the opposition on the final whistle in all of our remaining games we win a Natty.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, Alabama is currently a Top 10 defense that is likely to be a Top 5 defense by the time you play in the SECCG. You are running the same defense with play calling being the only difference once the game starts. You ILBs are probably the most athletic that you have had, but both seem to be very eager to be in on every play. IMO, that has translated to them "guessing" more than they should. If you guess and are wrong, you create a hole in the defense.

Your secondary is very good - among the best in the country. They need a little more seasoning, but they are very good. Best safeties in the country, and it isn't close.

Your d-line is very good, but a little thin. Same for your OLBs - very good, but thin.

As long as you have your starters on the field you are as good as any other defense in the country. When the starters come off the field (and you sub a ton), there is a greater drop-off than you are used to seeing.

Your starters are only allowing 1 point per possession when the game is in doubt. That is #1 in the country.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Our D did better this last game so I’ll take that but it is not the swarming defense we’ve come to know. I do have faith we will improve with experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
You notice that when the offense took the air out of the ball, defensive play got better due to more rest time.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The defense is lacking a great deal of experience and, coupled with an entirely new defensive coaching staff, except for Lupoi, has undoubtedly led to some breakdowns and mis-reads, that can be fixed as the season progresses. I realize Mack is supposedly the defense's leader and the secondary is improving, but it seems our defense is at its best when Miller and Jennings are disruptive and put pressure on opposing QBs; it looks like the rest of the defense feeds on their intensity.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
You notice that when the offense took the air out of the ball, defensive play got better due to more rest time.
Definitely saw that too. Felt that they pinned their ears back the moment Tua left the game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I believe much of it still can be accounted to being young and inexperienced. The good thing is we are seeing improvement and I still have faith that Coach Saban will get it straightened out.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well Alabama is definitely not the ‘85 Bears or teams would be throwing for like 350+ yards a game with how offenses are today.

In all serious they are a smaller version of themselves from years past. Others can break it down further. [emoji6]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.