Trump threatens to cut U.S. aid to Honduras over immigrants

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Cut off all foreign aid...we can't afford it with our debt.
The purpose of US foreign aid is to further US interest not for philanthropy. When US aid sterilized 74% of Goias, they weren't doing so to help these women; they were doing it to make sure someone like Bolsonaro would win elections over the worker's party.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Again, for the “legally” challenged, seeking asylum is NOT a crime; actually, by international law, it’s a guaranteed right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually anyone standing in a country that is no threat to them has no grounds for applying for asylum from another. The only "legal" way to enter this country is through a port of entry. Even so, I don't think we should separate children from families. I do believe that we should only allow people to enter legally. So if anyone comes here that does not fit that I would say just let them stay together in Mexico.

Last edited:

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
I saw some reports that it is estimated to be now 7000? Interesting (or not) trivia: In 1907 Ellis Island processed 1.25 million immigrants. That averages out to about 104000 per month or 3,400 per day. Those guys had a pretty crude but efficient system.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
No matter what your opinion on this issue is....when you have a mass of people this big....it feels like a "mob" type approach.

Some may not look at it that way and that's fine.

But if this many people showed up in your neighborhood.....I wonder if you would have any concerns.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
So what happens when these 5,000-7,000 immigrants show up at the US-Mexican wanting asylum? Does trump authorize the use of force against them? If so what kind of force?

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
So what happens when these 5,000-7,000 immigrants show up at the US-Mexican wanting asylum? Does trump authorize the use of force against them? If so what kind of force?
Here's what I don't understand about the asylum thing, and I will admit it is my own ignorance on the subject, but if they are fleeing their country to a country where they are not endangered, shouldn't they seek asylum in the FIRST safe haven they come to, i.e Mexico?

If they just want to come to America for the dream, the social services, minimum wage, etc. I get it. But walking 1600 miles through a perfectly safe (for them) country to get to America doesn't seem sensible if all they are wanting is to escape their country.

Either way, I said it in a previous post. These people have guts and determination that I can't fathom.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Here's what I don't understand about the asylum thing, and I will admit it is my own ignorance on the subject, but if they are fleeing their country to a country where they are not endangered, shouldn't they seek asylum in the FIRST safe haven they come to, i.e Mexico?

If they just want to come to America for the dream, the social services, minimum wage, etc. I get it. But walking 1600 miles through a perfectly safe (for them) country to get to America doesn't seem sensible if all they are wanting is to escape their country.

Either way, I said it in a previous post. These people have guts and determination that I can't fathom.
Here is a post on the legality of asylum I wrote up that seems like a topical reposting due to your question. It also goes into the portion about having to seek asylum in the first country they come to.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Opinion piece written by Geraldo Rivera; https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/ger...ike-a-bargain-with-trump-heres-what-i-propose

Whether you like what you like him or not, he had a good point here, "The Republicans see this caravan as the perfect issue to rally the base and insure a big, robust turnout for the mid-term elections now two weeks away. Democrats would like to pretend that the caravan is just a giant day-care center filled with needy children that the heartless president doesn’t care about.

That may be a pretty good summation of the two sides with, as usual, reality lying somewhere in between.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

No one ever said it was all they want.

The US does not have any agreement on the issue you present in place with Mexico, as it does with Canada. If he wanted Trump could negotiate it.

They have a lot of guts. Why keep them out?

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
No one ever said it was all they want.

The US does not have any agreement on the issue you present in place with Mexico, as it does with Canada. If he wanted Trump could negotiate it.

They have a lot of guts. Why keep them out?
If they are out of harms way and don't want to come in through our designated entry points, why let them in?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Opinion piece written by Geraldo Rivera; https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/ger...ike-a-bargain-with-trump-heres-what-i-propose

Whether you like what you like him or not, he had a good point here, "The Republicans see this caravan as the perfect issue to rally the base and insure a big, robust turnout for the mid-term elections now two weeks away. Democrats would like to pretend that the caravan is just a giant day-care center filled with needy children that the heartless president doesn’t care about.

That may be a pretty good summation of the two sides with, as usual, reality lying somewhere in between.
Before this I thought the Dems had a good shot at the Senate. Now its a long shot at best.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
this is no different from the ebola "panic" leading into the 2014 mid-terms.

a huge push to generate fear and outrage about scary brown people
Not discounting your point, but I worked at Vanderbilt University Hospital during that time. Ebola is no joke...nasty bug. We had multiple training sessions dealing with it. When it showed up stateside, there was real concern among our physicians, and it wasn't exclusive to brown people. We had to ask every patient that walked in if they had recently traveled abroad and to where. That was not part of the patient history before then.

I think it is more sensationalism than a political ploy. Media wants those viewers and want those clicks, and a great way to accomplish that is to sensationalize everything: every flu outbreak, every winter storm, etc. For sure Pols take it, spin it to benefit them, and run with it.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Serious question. Don't we really have MORE than enough population already in the US? Its not the 19th century when we thought we needed more. 350 million seems like more than enough already. Not to sound selfish but bring us a skill that we can benefit from and come on in, maybe. Otherwise lets keep the open spaces that we still have open. This is not directed at any segment of immigrants (racial, ethnic, religious, geographic etc) but applies to all. I hate to see more and more of our open spaces paved over.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Before this I thought the Dems had a good shot at the Senate. Now its a long shot at best.
I don't think the Dems ever had a shot at the Senate and the much ballyhooed blue wave to take the House may have already crashed on the shore. This is not going to turnout like I had hoped.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
For the moment forget, Dems, GOP, conservatives, liberals, snowflakes, Christians, etc. ask yourself is separating parents from children, right or wrong? There is no maybe or maybe not, morally it is either right or wrong.
I care about American families being permanently separated because of crimes illegal aliens commit against them. Don’t want separation?? Don’t come here illegally. Illegal aliens have no place in the country.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.