Trump threatens to cut U.S. aid to Honduras over immigrants

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Trump threatens to cut U.S. aid to Honduras over immigrants

WASHINGTON, Oct 16 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday threatened to withdraw funding and aid from Honduras if it does not stop a caravan of people that is heading to the United States.

"The United States has strongly informed the President of Honduras that if the large Caravan of people heading to the U.S. is not stopped and brought back to Honduras, no more money or aid will be given to Honduras, effective immediately!" Trump said on Twitter.

Up to 3,000 migrants crossed from Honduras into Guatemala on Monday on a trek northward, after a standoff with police in riot gear and warnings from Washington that migrants should not try to enter the United States illegally.

The crowd more than doubled in size from Saturday, when some 1,300 people set off from northern Honduras in what has been dubbed "March of the Migrant," an organizer said. The migrants plan to seek refugee status in Mexico or pass through to the United States.

Reuters could not independently verify the number of participants, but images showed a group carrying backpacks and clogging roads near the border, some waving the Honduran flag.

The impoverished nations of Central America, from which thousands of migrants have fled in recent years, are under mounting pressure from Trump's administration to do more to curb mass migration. (Reporting by Doina Chiacu; Editing by Bernadette Baum and Susan Thomas)

Thoughts? If we can keep the mud slinging to a minimum, I would love to hear some thoughts on this. I think you have to have giant, brass ones to pack everything you own in a backpack and start walking toward what you hope is a better life. Wow. I can't imagine how bad it must be to do that.

However, I would venture to guess that the 3,000 will balloon by a few thousand by the time they get across Mexico. We can't swing the doors open and yell "come on in, make yourselves at home!"

So put yourself in the Oval Office. What do you do?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
So put yourself in the Oval Office. What do you do?
First things first, not put children in concentration camps.

Beyond that I'd already be doing better than we currently are so I'd start working on some other solutions.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This is Hillary’s mess, or the fallout from it.
First, homework

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...y-has-roots-in-us-tacit-support-for-2009-coup

Second, US MUST stop its imperialistic behavior: we have no right to support the overthrow of a duly and “legitimately” elected leader in a foreign country, simply because “our government doesn’t like them.”
Tough. Get over it. We have no right to demand they elect someone “friendly” to our government, even if they are incompetent and corrupt.
Once that mindset/behavior changes, then and only then can our government work with them to solve the “refugee” problem ( Honduras is a war zone, these people are fleeing for their lives and the problems in Mexico pale in comparison). Of course, our leaders have to learn, understand and accept the difference between immigrants and refugees - currently our President and AG deny there is any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
First things first, not put children in concentration camps.
Agree with you here! I wonder how plausible it would be to have some sort of path to citizenship tied to some type of public service...a specified number of years military service, do what you are supposed to, and after however many years you and your family can earn citizenship? ( I think we already have something like this in place, but I have no idea how big the program is)

Or even other public service areas such as FF or police, peace corps, US based mission work, etc.

I think one caveat is that there should be a good faith effort to learn to speak English.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Agree with you here! I wonder how plausible it would be to have some sort of path to citizenship tied to some type of public service...a specified number of years military service, do what you are supposed to, and after however many years you and your family can earn citizenship? ( I think we already have something like this in place, but I have no idea how big the program is)
We do have that in place, but the current administration is screwing those people over because they're not the right shade.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/6267...igrant-recruits-who-were-promised-citizenship

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...-families-face-deportation-issues-group-says/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/02/military-family-separation-immigration-trump-mexico

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Hey thanks for posting those. Very interesting reading. Very sad. For the lady who got deported and her husband is a decorated veteran, it is a shame on our country. It is shameful to Trump, but it is also shameful to the previous regime. She was flagged as an illegal under the law in 2013, but because Obama didn't enforce the law, she never did anything about it, never got her citizenship in order. Obama did not want to fight that political battle, so he just stopped enforcing the law instead of having the law changed.

Trump comes in and starts his zero tolerance, enforce the law, no questions asked and all of it together leads to this poor lady separated from her family.

This group coming from Honduras, I pray they find safety in the storm.RTR

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
but it is also shameful to the previous regime. She was flagged as an illegal under the law in 2013, but because Obama didn't enforce the law, she never did anything about it, never got her citizenship in order. Obama did not want to fight that political battle, so he just stopped enforcing the law instead of having the law changed.
Not to say Obama deserves zero blame for not doing what he could to fix it but Fox News, the Tea Party and Mitch McConnell deserve a healthy share of creating the environment that led to that type of thinking by obstructing every single thing including what type of mustard the man wanted.

Last edited:

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Fox News, the Tea Party and Mitch McConnell deserve a healthy share of creating the environment that led to that type of thinking by obstructing every single thing including what type of mustard the man wanted.
No doubt. and the pendulum will swing the other way if/when the blue wave happens. Wash, rinse, repeat. The time of give and take, compromising and moving forward is fast becoming a thing of the past. Now it's all a Battle Royale and the only thing that matters is that your team wins...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Fox News, the Tea Party and Mitch McConnell deserve a healthy share of creating the environment that led to that type of thinking by obstructing every single thing including what type of mustard the man wanted.
a comprehensive bill passed the senate 68-32 in 2013. link

it was stalled in the house due to the "hastert rule"

but hey, both sides

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Where should the US put the kids? “Concentration” camps aren’t the answer but can’t let them run free. Tough situation.
If the parents are seeking asylum (as most of these border crossers are) as refugees, they are not “criminals”. Children should be allowed to stay with their parents until their case is decided. Period.
Why is this even a question? Is it because Trump has border crossings that accept asylum seekers closed?
Not sure what folks are having a problem with, when it comes to understanding what’s happening here.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Anyone wonder why there are no (or so few as to be insignificant) Panamanians or Costa Ricans in the number of “illegals”?
Again, if we had a President with a brain bigger than a squirrels’, he or she might figure it out.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
If the parents are seeking asylum (as most of these border crossers are) as refugees, they are not “criminals”. Children should be allowed to stay with their parents until their case is decided. Period.
Why is this even a question? Is it because Trump has border crossings that accept asylum seekers closed?
Not sure what folks are having a problem with, when it comes to understanding what’s happening here.

Well the question is, for me anyway, what happens with the asylum seekers? I genuinely don't know and will certainly research some, but a couple thousand people, some with kids, some without, some maybe criminals, some maybe with various health issues, some may be fugitives from the law, some may be the next super genius who finally cures cancer...This group shows up at the border with no resources and likely no support systems...what is the protocol?

Also, and this may be off topic, but what is the difference between this group and say the boat people from Haiti or Cuba who are turned back by the US Coast Guard. Again I am ignorant to official protocols, just going by news coverage, but I thought I remember several years ago several deathtrap boats full of Haitians being returned to Haiti...Certainly we don't just let them beach in Miami and stroll in for a Mojito?

Last edited:

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
The kid thing is actually pretty easy. Correct me if I'm wrong but we don't raid into other countries to get these kids do we? Parents are responsible for kids. If you shoplift your kid will be separated from you while you are in jail. The solution is simple don't enter illegally and you're golden. If you will look back you can see politicians of every ilk spouting that to the media. I know and like many Hispanics and personally don't mind them coming, but congress must change the laws. I know the two sides can't agree but that is their job to come to some sort of middle ground. I wish we would vote them ALL out and start fresh.

If the parents are seeking asylum. That’s the thing, “if.” Hard to know. From what I’ve seen is a lot of these people are breaking laws. There is a point of entry where these seekers can come through legally. Again, this is from what I’ve seen. Again, this is a tough situation and I don’t know what the right answer is. If someone breaks the law on the books, aren’t they separated from the children? Where’s the veracity with that? It’s like left wants these people to have more rights than the citizens of the US. That just isn’t right. At the same time, I’m for the US defending its borders, but it has to be a better way to handle things in the immediate until the laws are changed. But what do I know...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Now this. I can guarantee you 90% of these “illegals” from the Northern Triangle are fleeing rampant violence.
I was in Costa Rica two years ago, and conversations with my friend who lives there, and his wife who is a Tica, confirmed this.
Sessions has said fleeing “uncontrollable “ gang violence doesn’t qualify someone for asylum. Let me ask any of you:
You’re a guy with a small family, working hard just to survive in a poor country. Gangs descend on you telling you they are coming for your son and daughter if you don’t go to work for them (reality is, they will anyway).
Your wife and daughter will become prostitutes or sex slaves for gang members, and you and your son will “start off” as drug mules.
What would you do?
This is happening; it’s been happening for years in those three years.
Many of these refugees are being turned away from border crossings where they could legally apply for asylum; the reason given is they can’t handle their petitions and they need to come back tomorrow. And this goes on day after day after day. So you’re family is now beginning to starve and suffer from exposure, so out of desperation you leave and go further along the border and try to cross illegally and get caught. Now you’re an “illegal” - never mind the fact our government is responsible for putting you in such a desperate situation to begin with.
I’ve had several conversations with an attorney in SoCal who handles immigration issues only; these chats have taken place over several years.
And yes, children are being separated from their parents who are seeking asylum before their case is even adjucated. This is Trump’s America.

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/cur...g-us-mexico-border-now-curious-texas-explains

I’ll address the Mexican issue later - it’s time to eat.

Last edited:

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
By your own post earlier, this wasn't created by Trump's America. Right? It was Obama's? Trump just has to find a solution? Just trying to make sure I am keeping up.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
As far as Mexican immigrants (and I concede most if not all of them are not “refugees”, though a few might be), we need a solid, workable NATIONAL work visa program, similar to what Maryland has. This would help, not just in agriculture/seafood industries, but construction as well.
This would greatly reduce the number of Mexican immigrants IMO; if it did, at that point “legal immigration” could probably address the rest. At that point it may become like the “voter fraud” issue like conservatives (I.e., racists) love to whine about yet it virtually doesn’t and has never existed. (20 cases out of 200 million votes is really a problem- [emoji57]).
The wall in China may have halted the invasions of the Mongol horde, but they didn’t have planes, watercraft and world class human gophers. [emoji41]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.