Nick Bosa and Family Decide to Focus on NFL and Won't Return to Buckeyes in November

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa and his family apparently have decided to focus on the next phase of his football career, which means his emphasis will be on training for the 2019 NFL draft once he is cleared to do so, several sources told The Dispatch on Tuesday.

That means he will not try to return to play for the Buckeyes this season.

The preseason All-America suffered a core muscle injury in the win against Texas Christian at Arlington, Texas, on Sept.15. He underwent surgery in Philadelphia late the next week to repair the injury, and he has been on the mend since.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Just saw this and wow. This is going to be the first time its happened to a playoff team. Can't say I blame him but wow this hurts Ohio State's championship hopes IMO.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Smart move, and while I understand the logic, if he's able to play there is little difference between this and quitting the team in the middle of the season, imo.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Smart move, and while I understand the logic, if he's able to play there is little difference between this and quitting the team in the middle of the season, imo.
To be fair, November was when he was expected to go back to the doctor to see when he could begin rehab and get a time frame on his return.

He could have helped on the sideline and in the filmroom, but he didn't appear to be coming back to play this regular season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You will recall that I predicted this a few weeks ago. I am disappointed for the team, but I get it.

To be clear, he is no longer a Buckeye to me. He is a quitter who abandoned his school.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I have to disagree with you for one, simple reason: you are far more likely to injure yourself shortly after returning from an injury - especially if it's a little too quickly. Sure, there's always a risk of injury for any player but the risk is far greater for the guy just coming back.

At that point, it's really just a business decision. Option one - don't rush coming back, make sure you're prepared for the draft, and give yourself the best chance of being drafted highly. Option two - perhaps rush coming back, try to help your team win while at maybe 80%-90%, and risk losing millions of dollars if you re-injure yourself.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have to disagree with you for one, simple reason: you are far more likely to injure yourself shortly after returning from an injury - especially if it's a little too quickly. Sure, there's always a risk of injury for any player but the risk is far greater for the guy just coming back.

At that point, it's really just a business decision. Option one - don't rush coming back, make sure you're prepared for the draft, and give yourself the best chance of being drafted highly. Option two - perhaps rush coming back, try to help your team win while at maybe 80%-90%, and risk losing millions of dollars if you re-injure yourself.
Option 3 - Return only if OSU makes the playoffs. That is what the fans were hoping for. No real risk to him as he is given more than the standard time to recover and regain his strength. But he knows that he cannot improve his draft stock with more film, so he is going to work on combine drills instead of helping his team.

Again, remember that his family is set thanks to his brother. This is not some poor kid who is risking the financial future of his family.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Because he made a commitment to his school and his teammates? Let's not pretend that his family needs the money. His brother took care of that.
If I am Meyer, this guy’s key card won’t work if he tries to get into the training room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've never said or insinuated he should rush coming back from his injury - I work under the assumption that he will be medically cleared when ready to play. And if that were to happen while the season is still underway and he refuses to play then he's a quitter.

At that point, it's really just a business decision.
That's fine, I totally get that. Doesn't mean that if he's able to play and help the team and refuses that he's not a quitter.

At some point being part of the team is a dedication, it's about your commitment. I get that he's potentially risking millions, but the school has given him everything they said they would when he signed, and he is (potentially) reneging on that agreement.

Rationalize it all day, that's fine. But that doesn't change the result.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I do see both sides of the opinions on this. One, he quit on the team. Two, he is looking out for his own best interest.

Have to say, I side with 2. These schools make millions off of these players, and a college degree is what they offer in return. A guy like Bosa can use his name alone with his degree, and make millions in a long term career in sales or public relations. But if his personal goal is to play in the NFL, it's prudent for him to go on and prepare for that.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I do see both sides of the opinions on this. One, he quit on the team. Two, he is looking out for his own best interest.

Have to say, I side with 2. These schools make millions off of these players, and a college degree is what they offer in return. A guy like Bosa can use his name alone with his degree, and make millions in a long term career in sales or public relations. But if his personal goal is to play in the NFL, it's prudent for him to go on and prepare for that.
I think it can be a bit of both. There is little question he is quitting on the team especially since in this case his team could be fighting for a NC. But, I also don't blame him for that. I'd consider making the same choice as him though I'd like to think that if my team had a good shot at a Championship that I wouldn't make the same choice.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Bosa is giving up a lot. I’m always seeing our former players on the sidelines and they are still so proud to have played at Alabama. Won’t Bosa be unwelcome at any event related to tOSU, ballgame or social event? If he quit a team I was on in the middle of a championship run I’d never speak to him again. Players, coaches, and fans have been deserted in the name of money he doesn’t even need and they will respond accordingly.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
A very rare case where someone with a great prior record and a great name can afford to do this. Almost anyone else would need to come back to show he is still a top 5 guy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.