Nick Bosa and Family Decide to Focus on NFL and Won't Return to Buckeyes in November

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Maybe he just feels like he's wasting his time working toward his degree? If you're a top 5/10/15 pick and you can't even practice until November why bother sitting in some communications class, writing papers, etc? Just go home and use your brother's money to get better rehab and training than you would have in school.

That being said, look for him to keep quitting other things in life.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
If he had transferred to Michigan or some other rival I would understand the "he's no longer a Buckeye to me" sentiment. One of the most important reasons you go to college is to advance your post graduate earning potential. Nick Bosa left his blood, sweat and tears on the football field for the entertainment of Buckeye fans. Ohio State's corrupt and self-serving administrators, Urban Meyer and the majority of their entitled fans all deserve each other. The fact that his brother or his parents have money is irrelevant. Totally irrelevant. My parents' money never sapped my ambition to be a success. Nick Bosa deserves the chance to realize his lifetime career goals without suffering the derision of selfish alumni. College football players are modern gladiators. They fight for the entertainment of the crowd and the whims of the ruling class. How dare they leave the arena alive with all their limbs intact?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I hate to say it, but NFL-potential players have been "mailing in" the latter half of the season for a long time, including some of our own...
No doubt. Just look at 2010 for a little evidence. I would rather them go ahead and go than stay around and become a problem. I say next man up. I can't blame a guy who expects to make at least 20 million bucks in the spring to move on, but I still think of them as quitters and hope the next guy in line is ready to go.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If he had transferred to Michigan or some other rival I would understand the "he's no longer a Buckeye to me" sentiment. One of the most important reasons you go to college is to advance your post graduate earning potential. Nick Bosa left his blood, sweat and tears on the football field for the entertainment of Buckeye fans. Ohio State's corrupt and self-serving administrators, Urban Meyer and the majority of their entitled fans all deserve each other. The fact that his brother or his parents have money is irrelevant. Totally irrelevant. My parents' money never sapped my ambition to be a success. Nick Bosa deserves the chance to realize his lifetime career goals without suffering the derision of selfish alumni. College football players are modern gladiators. They fight for the entertainment of the crowd and the whims of the ruling class. How dare they leave the arena alive with all their limbs intact?
This is what has always cracked me up. Do you really think these guys play for the fans? They always talk about playing for the fans because they have been trained to appreciate the money that fans bring to the table. Competitors love to compete. I'm sure there are some who only play because it advances their possibilities of getting paid professionally. However, I would guess that most of these guys would play even if the stands were empty. Don't believe me? Just look at all levels of college and down to high school and middle school. There are plenty of games that get played with very few people in the stands. The fans are just customers who are willing to spend hard earned money to buy tickets and shoes and jerseys and other crap with their team's name on it. I say these guys are fortunate that they play a game that can provide them an education and a ton of connections and possibly millions of dollars if they make it to the league. No, they don't owe fans anything, but they do owe their teammates and coaches and schools, in my opinion. I'm guessing that teammates, coaches, and schools understand the situation and support opportunities like this, but I'm guessing a few teammates may get a chapped arse if they feel like that player's absence cost them a championship.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
The first time you quit you have to think about it. Maybe it will even be hard to rationalize to yourself. The second time it gets a little easier, the third time, you don't even think about it. I'd have to think long and hard if I was a general manager who is looking at drafting him top 5. What would you think? The first sign of adversity is he gonna quit? If he gets a hang mail is he gonna quit? What happens if things dont go hos way?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
You guys on your mighty high horse from the comfort of you home (or some from your job when you're probably supposed to be working) calling people quitters never cease to amuse me.

First and foremost, whatever the specifics are, this guy is protecting his future. In any other field besides our beloved pastime, that's considered a good thing. A responsible thing. Pro Football is going to be his job. I'm assuming none of you Super Duper loyal guys have left a job, right? You work at the first place you ever worked, right? I'm surprised going to Big Brother with his hand out is considered to be the right thing to do.

The other part of that is that nobody seems to mind quitters as long they help YOUR team. Savion Smith is a quitter, right? Jake Coker? Richard Mullaney and Gehrig Dieter are quitters too, I suppose?

It's just funny to me seeing the double standard people have on that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is possible to state a differing opinion without attacking those with whom you disagree, isn't it?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Interview with his Dad said recovery time given after surgery was 12 weeks.
Add the time it would take to get into playing shape, and it doesn’t seem credible that he could even play in the NCG (if OSU makes it that far) without risking more injury and damaging his draft status.
I have no problem with his decision, and I’d say the same if he played for Bama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Interview with his Dad said recovery time given after surgery was 12 weeks.
Add the time it would take to get into playing shape, and it doesn’t seem credible that he could even play in the NCG (if OSU makes it that far) without risking more injury and damaging his draft status.
I have no problem with his decision, and I’d say the same if he played for Bama.
Yep - that is why I changed my stance and offered my apologies. Seems like he really had no choice.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The other part of that is that nobody seems to mind quitters as long they help YOUR team. Savion Smith is a quitter, right? Jake Coker? Richard Mullaney and Gehrig Dieter are quitters too, I suppose?
Did any of those quit their team mid-season?

Maybe try comparing apples to apples instead of getting so worked up would help.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
It is possible to state a differing opinion without attacking those with whom you disagree, isn't it?
Sorry B1G, but before you had all the facts you had no problem attacking Bosa - to the point of saying you no longer considered him a Buckeye. Other guys on this thread are talking about how he will always be a quitter in life from now on because he did the smart thing. I just don't agree, and most people wouldn't either if it was their son, brother, cousin, whatever.

Did any of those quit their team mid-season?

Maybe try comparing apples to apples instead of getting so worked up would help.
You're right CA, it isn't apples to apples. Those guys quit their teams because of either lack of playing time or just to go somewhere better. Bosa got hurt, and its the kind of injury that could cost him millions of dollars if he shows up to combine a step slow. I'm sorry, but I can't bash a kid from protecting his future, mid season or not.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Either way, disagree without getting personal. You believe that all players should be able to walk whenever they feel like it. We disagree. That's cool.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Either way, disagree without getting personal. You believe that all players should be able to walk whenever they feel like it. We disagree. That's cool.
I never named anyone personally, and I didn't say anything any worse than what was said about Bosa, so yeah, we disagree. No big deal.

I also never said I believed "all players should be able to walk whenever they feel like it". The guy got hurt pretty bad. He didn't walk out mid-season just because he got a hang nail.

I voiced my opinion about people that were tearing down the kid's character for doing what is best for himself. I'm sorry, but that's not cool to me.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
If there was a minor league and would be college stars all went there then a heck of a lot more people would be watching that minor league than college. Also, look at the debates about the true value of Saban to the school and state. Winning has created that value and you don't win without elite players.

There is no college football(at least in the form we have it today) without those players.

Also, seriously? You wouldn't pay $2 to watch a team that had Tua & co play? I 100% would pay that and much more.
College basketball which pales in comparison to football as far as numbers and passion is far more visible than the NBA dev league which draws little compared to college basketball and has almost no profile. Likewise if there is an NFL dev league it may have a little interest but it will be nothing compared to the college game - almost nothing.

As far as not winning without elite players - the supposition would be that the playing field would be level, not that only players from one set of schools would go to an NFL minor league. I'm sure the power structure would change, but that is not the issue.

Yes, seriously I would not care about a non Alabama team. The only reason you know anything about Tua is because he plays for Bama. The only reason Tua is at Alabama is because of the nature of college football today. I'm not saying that you would have no interest, not knowing you I assume that your interest in a non college football world is genuine. Fine. IMO, that is not the case with most people. Their interest is related to their interest in the school. In fact, much of the interest in the NFL is related to the fame garnered by players at the college level or a player's association with a particular school. There are other reasons such as loyalty to a franchise, fantasy, gambling. I have a casual interest in the NFL driven to a great extent by which Bama players are playing where. Except for a couple of teams I have interest in, the Bama connection is the only reason I would watch.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Because he made a commitment to his school and his teammates? Let's not pretend that his family needs the money. His brother took care of that.
His brother quit in the Fiesta Bowl . Didn’t want to play. By at least he did it with an obvious targeting flag instead

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
If Terrell Lewis did the same thing I would understand it.

Although I just heard something on ESPN I really didn't like. A former NFL guy said that if you're a sophomore high draft prospect then you should sit out your junior year, that's just the wrong message to send imo.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Terrell Lewis did the same thing I would understand it.

Although I just heard something on ESPN I really didn't like. A former NFL guy said that if you're a sophomore high draft prospect then you should sit out your junior year, that's just the wrong message to send imo.
There were rumors that Clowney would do this. He didn't, but he thought about it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.