SEC East Race: Who is likely to go to SEC Championship?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
How do you see this playing out in coming weeks?

Florida (4-1) (6-1) Lost to Kentucky
Georgia(4-1_(6-1) Lost to LSU
Kentucky3-1) (5-1) Lost to TAMU

I believe Kentucky owes a tiebreaker over Florida at this moment.

Remaining games:
Georgia (Florida, Kentucky and Auburn)
Florida(Georgia, Missouri and South Carolina)
Kentucky (Vandy, Missouri, Georgia and Tennessee)

This is going to be hard to tell who will emerge out of SEC East as the team to head to SEC Championship. I think it's Georgia because of their schedule, but Kentucky is playing well and you never know when Auburn plays a good game.

Kentucky has a good chance of winning the East, if they can knock off Georgia, which is unlikely.

Florida- They have no chance IMO. Will probably fall either to Georgia or Missouri.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
According to FPI, they have the following chance to win the conference(not just division)

Georgia - 15.9%
Florida - 3.4%
Kentucky - 0.5%

So next Saturday should clear things up.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Florida had a QB in whom I had any faith whatsoever, they would be the pick. I just don't know how they are going to win out without a reliable QB.

Kentucky also has no QB. Georgia will be able to slow Snell enough to win that game.

Georgia is still the front runner, IMO. They simply have more talent. They just need better play from Fromm.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
UGA @ KY should be interesting.
^^^ This ...

KY technically has the best road since they only have to beat GA to go to the championship.

GA has to beat both FL and KY

FL has to beat GA and hopes that KY loses to GA

If UGAs running defense doesn't improve, Snell and company will have a field day

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
^^^ This ...

KY technically has the best road since they only have to beat GA to go to the championship.

GA has to beat both FL and KY

FL has to beat GA and hopes that KY loses to GA

If UGAs running defense doesn't improve, Snell and company will have a field day
They have to have a 2 game lead to win the east title.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think UGA wins out, but I'd love to see KY make it to Atlanta.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Georgia's loss to LSU can't hurt them if they win out. They will own the tie-breaker vs. any other East Division team. If the Bulldogs lose to either Florida or UK, it gets pretty interesting.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's hard to say. I don't know if we can trust Kentucky at this point. But they ought to be favored against Vanderbilt, Missouri, and Tennessee. Then it all comes down to that game against Georgia.

And if Georgia loses to Florida... whoa nelly. That's bad for Smart. Because I agree with y'all, Georgia still has the most talented roster, and even the most talented QB despite Fromm's recent struggles.

Pressed for an answer, I'd pick Georgia. But I'm pulling for Kentucky.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I think UGA will win out, and that Justin Fields will play more (even though Fromm will get the most play time). UGA has the most talent.

If Bama makes it to the SEC Champ game, as a fan, I would rather play Kentucky I think. Their QB is not that great.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If Florida had a QB in whom I had any faith whatsoever, they would be the pick. I just don't know how they are going to win out without a reliable QB.

Kentucky also has no QB. Georgia will be able to slow Snell enough to win that game.

Georgia is still the front runner, IMO. They simply have more talent. They just need better play from Fromm.
I agree with B1G. UGA should beat UK, so it really comes down to the big cocktail party in Jacksonville. I think UK is the surprise team in SEC that ultimately can't hold it together to win their division, we have one every year or so. At this point however, Franks is playing as well as Fromm, but UGA has more weapons.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
I'll take UGA. I still think they clearly have the most talent, and now their egos should be deflated enough to realize they can't just show up and win.
It is not UGA's ego, it is the arrogance of a bully that backs down when confronted with the courage and will of an opponent that won't concede to their self identified superiority.

If talent, ego, and arrogance won all championships we could abolish the sport of football.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Circular firing squad, IMO. This time last week I would have said UGA will have no problem with KY because their defense is so talented they will just shut down Snell and KY has nothing else. After last Saturday, I'm less certain about that forecast.

Just for fun, though, I will play along and say UGA wins the WLOCP, though the game should be close. They then beat KY and come into Atlanta all fired up again, calculating that if they knock us off, they can still make the playoffs as SEC Champions (maybe). UGA definitely has the most talent in the east. If they drop another conference game and miss the SEC Championship game, the fans will be ... cranky.

Friend of mine is a UGA alum. Sent me an email in August saying, "See you in December". Haven't heard from him since Saturday.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.