SEC East Race: Who is likely to go to SEC Championship?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I see Georgia as the cream of the crop in the East.
BUT...
Georgia isn't playing like a winner.
I think there is a mountain to climb for Kentucky and Florida. Maybe too high.

Bryant0086

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2009
That is easy.... it will be Bama and some also ran from the East. ^___^. In all seriousness, my mind tells me Georgia, but my gut says it could be a close one between Ga and Ky. Kentucky's QB looked terrible to start the year, but he looks to be improving. Kentucky has also looked good in the trenches most of the time. I have seen Ky have decent teams in the past, but they won some games with razzle dazzle. They can win games right now by winning the line of scrimmage. I think their O and D line look better than their adversaries in the east.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Georgia's loss to LSU can't hurt them if they win out. They will own the tie-breaker vs. any other East Division team. If the Bulldogs lose to either Florida or UK, it gets pretty interesting.
KY lost to A&M, so they are in the same boat. Win out and they go to Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Is this even possible?

Florida and Kentucky both win out the rest of their games and Kentucky goes to Atlanta and gets beat.

Florida would need some help (other teams to lose) but gets into the playoffs as the #2 team in the SEC and best one loss team in the country.

Admittedly......that is pretty absurd.....but is it possible?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In a weird way I would love to see a three way tie.

UGA loses to UF but beats UK

UK loses to UGA but wins out.

UF loses to USCe

But that would mean UGA went to Atlanta. Yuck.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
KY lost to A&M, so they are in the same boat. Win out and they go to Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely correct, I was just responding to the growing notion that Georgia was somehow in a precarious position now when everyone had them a shoe-in all season long. UGA and UK only need to win out, UF needs to win out and get some help.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Is this even possible?

Florida and Kentucky both win out the rest of their games and Kentucky goes to Atlanta and gets beat.

Florida would need some help (other teams to lose) but gets into the playoffs as the #2 team in the SEC and best one loss team in the country.

Admittedly......that is pretty absurd.....but is it possible?
It is possible, but notre dame is a problem for any 1 loss team. They will be in if undefeated over any 1 loss team, no matter how good that 1 loss team is. Your guys may need to win convincingly where there is no doubt. Your other issue is QB or lack thereof.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
It is possible, but notre dame is a problem for any 1 loss team. They will be in if undefeated over any 1 loss team, no matter how good that 1 loss team is. Your guys may need to win convincingly where there is no doubt. Your other issue is QB or lack thereof.
I agree if they,ND, are undefeated they are in over any one loss team. They still have Northwestern, Syracuse, Florida State and USC so it remains to be seen if they can finish undefeated. It is really going to get interesting if Michigan ends up winning the Big 10 after being beaten by ND.

Quite a lot to be played out over the next weeks.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
I think it will be UGA. This team got pounded and exposed by Aubarn last year and it lit a fire. Let's see what happens this week.

There's a cartoon going around among UGA fans that has Freddy from the Scooby-Doo cartoon unmasking a villain. The mask is Smart's face. Underneath it is Richt. LOL

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think it will be UGA. This team got pounded and exposed by Aubarn last year and it lit a fire. Let's see what happens this week.

There's a cartoon going around among UGA fans that has Freddy from the Scooby-Doo cartoon unmasking a villain. The mask is Smart's face. Underneath it is Richt. LOL
Tough crowd. Kirby has been pretty incredible the last two years... Baton Rogue is a tough place to play.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Tough crowd. Kirby has been pretty incredible the last two years... Baton Rogue is a tough place to play.
Kirby has done very well in his time at UGA. He's 27-8 to this point with an SEC Championship already and was within an eyelash of a National Championship, finishing his second season ranked #2. His predecessor, Mark Richt went 32-8 in his first full 3 seasons, won 1 SEC Championship, finished #3 nationally and won a second SECE division title.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Kirby has done very well in his time at UGA. He's 27-8 to this point with an SEC Championship already and was within an eyelash of a National Championship, finishing his second season ranked #2. His predecessor, Mark Richt went 32-8 in his first full 3 seasons, won 1 SEC Championship, finished #3 nationally and won a second SECE division title.
Gene Chizik was 27-8 in his first 35 games...;)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If we are being honest Georgia was the best team in the country until we put Tua in. The only reason Kirby didn't win a title is basically because of CNS and Tua. Although, I guess you could probably make the same argument for Richt. He would likely have a title if it wasn't for CNS.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
If we are being honest Georgia was the best team in the country until we put Tua in. The only reason Kirby didn't win a title is basically because of CNS and Tua. Although, I guess you could probably make the same argument for Richt. He would likely have a title if it wasn't for CNS.
A lot of SEC coaches would still have jobs if it wasn't for CNS.:cool2:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If we are being honest Georgia was the best team in the country until we put Tua in. The only reason Kirby didn't win a title is basically because of CNS and Tua. .
Im not so sure. If we are playing the what if game then lets start at "What if Bama didnt hurt K. Johnson?". Im not convinced UGA beats Auburn in Atlanta with a fully healthy Auburn.

Then the second "What if" has to be " what if Lincoln Riley and OU not gone brain dead from 0:06 seconds left in the 2nd quarter until the end of the game?"

I think UGA was just as fortunate as Alabama in making it to Atlanta that accepting they were clearly the best team in the country until Tua entered the game might be a little too much for me to say.

Although, I guess you could probably make the same argument for Richt. He would likely have a title if it wasn't for CNS.
I think CA said it in the other thread, but I do agree that with that UGA team last year Im not sure Richt wouldnt be in the CFPNCG as well.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Im not so sure. If we are playing the what if game then lets start at "What if Bama didnt hurt K. Johnson?". Im not convinced UGA beats Auburn in Atlanta with a fully healthy Auburn.

Then the second "What if" has to be " what if Lincoln Riley and OU not gone brain dead from 0:06 seconds left in the 2nd quarter until the end of the game?"

I think UGA was just as fortunate as Alabama in making it to Atlanta that accepting they were clearly the best team in the country until Tua entered the game might be a little too much for me to say.
Fair enough. Then let me amend my statement to Georgia was better than us until we put Tua in.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Florida, georgia, or kentucky. If it comes down to coaching, it's Florida, if it comes down to overall talent, it's georgia, if it comes down to QB's, it's a toss up.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.