GA Guv Race - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: GA Guv Race

Re: GA Guv Race

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    The silence sure is deafening from the folks that spent years crying about protecting our elections from fraud.
    they are letting the gop speak for them
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Right. All that talk about how voter IDs** were needed to secure election integrity, and now.... *crickets*

But seriously, "voter fraud" was always intended to be the guise under which the GOP could disenfranchise liberals, young people, and minorities. When this was pointed out, conservatives balked. But look around. GOP-run states are closing polling places in big cities and other areas with dense minority populations. Texas is arresting people for trying to protect the right of college kids to vote. North Dakota wrote a law meant to disenfranchise Native Americans. Blacks in Georgia are being purged from the voter rolls and not allowed to re-register. The modern Republican party does not want fair elections, does not care about election integrity, and frankly does not even want a representative democracy.

**voter IDs available free of charge from one bus in Montgomery, between the hours of 11AM and 1PM on the first Wednesday of the second month following the summer solstice
    they realized long ago they can't win with fair elections. they tried this same crap all through the w years, you know, that awesome era that has been conveniently erased from the collective conscience.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    they realized long ago they can't win with fair elections. they tried this same crap all through the w years, you know, that awesome era that has been conveniently erased from the collective conscience.
    Not from mine - I still hate that little .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Right. All that talk about how voter IDs** were needed to secure election integrity, and now.... *crickets*

But seriously, "voter fraud" was always intended to be the guise under which the GOP could disenfranchise liberals, young people, and minorities. When this was pointed out, conservatives balked. But look around. GOP-run states are closing polling places in big cities and other areas with dense minority populations. Texas is arresting people for trying to protect the right of college kids to vote. North Dakota wrote a law meant to disenfranchise Native Americans. Blacks in Georgia are being purged from the voter rolls and not allowed to re-register. The modern Republican party does not want fair elections, does not care about election integrity, and frankly does not even want a representative democracy.

**voter IDs available free of charge from one bus in Montgomery, between the hours of 11AM and 1PM on the first Wednesday of the second month following the summer solstice
    GA is in a world of hurt. Thatís an unfair tactic and Iím sure itís against a law somewhere. Why hasnít anyone brought charges? Is there something that can be done?

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    GA is in a world of hurt. Thatís an unfair tactic and Iím sure itís against a law somewhere. Why hasnít anyone brought charges? Is there something that can be done?
    Yep. Strike. I keep saying this over and over. Peaceful demonstrations with everyone in the street.
    Short of getting locked and loaded, thereís no other viable option that will work. Especially with who controls the government and the courts (now).
    The only thing neither of them can force you to do is work; trying to do that will certainly bring the violence.

The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

538 just published a model for gubantorial elections, which gives Maddox a 1.3% chance of winning. The magic (R) is all you need in some states.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...cast/governor/
    Or like the (D) you need in other one party states like Cali and New York.

Had he ran as a republican, I believe Maddox would have beaten Ivey handily in the primary and would be the next governor. As it is, he’ll carry about 7 counties and lose by 30 points.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; October 20th, 2018 at 04:48 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post

Had he ran as a republican, I believe Maddox would have beaten Ivey handily in the primary and would be the next governor. As it is, heíll carry about 7 counties and lose by 30 points.
    How many did Bentley win by?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Had he ran as a republican, I believe Maddox would have beaten Ivey handily in the primary and would be the next governor. As it is, heíll carry about 7 counties and lose by 30 points.
    He did run as a Republican in the primary but did it under the name Tommy Battle.

U
    Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    How many did Bentley win by?

Not sure but he won handily both times.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    He did run as a Republican in the primary but did it under the name Tommy Battle.

Huh?

Tommy is a drab, old white guy and had low name recognition throughout the state. That’s what doomed him—NOT being a moderate republican. OTOH Maddox is young, enthusiastic, can relate to millennials and a diverse population, and is actually conservative on some issues. Not competing on the republican side AND embracing Medicare expansion is ultimately what will keep him in the mayors office in Tuscaloosa. No doubt in my mind that he would have beaten Ivey in a primary if he had competed as an R and towed the conservative line. Not saying that I agree with that, but I do believe that is the state of play.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; October 20th, 2018 at 09:39 PM.

BamaNation All-American Tide in Athens's Avatar

538 just published a model for gubantorial elections, which gives Maddox a 1.3% chance of winning. The magic (R) is all you need in some states.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...cast/governor/

From March of last year, but very apropos:

https://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf..._could_be.html

It's funny because it's true.
    (at the same time, it's also sad because it's true)
    Welcome to our nightmare, Alice.

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    they are letting the gop speak for them
    So to remove your name from the list requires three years of not voting and not responding to official State inquiries about why you aren't voting? Sounds like people are surpressing themselves, not the government doing it.

Why get out and vote when you can just play the victim with these headlines though?

"It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

thanks, i am aware of the myriad "justifications" for continuing to promote policies that remove minority voters from voting rolls.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon