GA Guv Race

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Former President Statement to Kemp

October 22, 2018

To Secretary of State Brian Kemp:

I have officially observed scores of doubtful elections in many countries, and one of the key requirements for a fair and trusted process is that there be nonbiased supervision of the electoral process.

In Georgia’s upcoming gubernatorial election, popular confidence is threatened not only by the undeniable racial discrimination of the past and the serious questions that the federal courts have raised about the security of Georgia’s voting machines, but also because you are now overseeing the election in which you are a candidate. This runs counter to the most fundamental principle of democratic elections — that the electoral process be managed by an independent and impartial election authority. Other secretaries of state have stepped down while running for election within their jurisdiction, to ensure that officials without a direct stake in the process can take charge and eliminate concerns about a conflict of interest.

In order to foster voter confidence in the upcoming election, which will be especially important if the race ends up very close, I urge you to step aside and hand over to a neutral authority the responsibility of overseeing the governor’s election. This would not address every concern, but it would be a sign that you recognize the importance of this key democratic principle and want to ensure the confidence of our citizens in the outcome.

Sincerely,

Jimmy Carter

The Honorable Brian F. Kemp

Secretary of State

214 State Capitol

Atlanta, Georgia 30334
https://apnews.com/02bf11f29ada46d0833be6e3091b0c31

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He is leaving the office at the end of the term anyway, so why not resign? It might not change what the office is doing, but it at least makes him look better. The governor could then appoint whoever wins the election for SoS to fill out the last few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Daily reminder that Kemp is a garbage human being.

Judge declines Brian Kemp’s request to pause absentee ballot injunction

A federal judge has declined to pause an injunction she ordered that changes how Georgia elections officials evaluate certain absentee ballots.

Secretary of State Brian Kemp had requested that U.S. District Court Judge Leigh Martin May stay the injunction she issued last week while Kemp’s legal team appeals the decision regarding signature mismatches to a higher court. In an order filed late Tuesday — a week before Election Day — May said she would not do so.

“The Court finds that the public interest is best served by allowing qualified absentee voters to vote and have their votes counted,” May wrote.
I can actually see the judge's eyes roll as she wrote that statement.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Governor Granny said she couldn’t do a debate in the primary due to her busy schedule. The night of the debate, she threw out the first pitch at a Barons game.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Republicans are OK electing brainless muppets; it allows the unelected “real” PTB to keep running things.
They don’t want anyone with a brain, or any integrity.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
That statement rings just as true when you replace "Republicans" with "Democrats". It would make even more sense if you substituted "Sheep" for Republicans. the number of people I have talked to who are straight ticket voters from both parties is scary. My extended family are straight ticket democrats, but you can't discuss candidates with them because they don't care. As long as they have a (D) behind their name, they are getting the vote. Drives me nuts. My Aunt was going around several years ago saying she was going to write- in Don Seigelman. While he was in Prison. She was not joking. :rolleyes:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.