Question about running game vs. QB playing

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think it could also be a change in mental approach by the o-line. With Tua in they are probably more focused on pass protection. On running plays the o-line has to be much more focused on exploding off that first step when the ball is snapped. On pass plays they are more focused on weight distribution and stopping the forward progress of the defensive player to whom they are assigned.

Can and should they be able to do both equally well? Yes. They just have not had to with Tua this year. He bails out their sloppy run blocking on 3rd down. With Jalen, there is no automatic 3rd down conversion machine. They know that they have to stay ahead of the chains. Change in focus. But I am totally guessing.
Good Guess.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I was about to ask if the RPO's that are being run with Tua in the game may cause some of the ineffectiveness with the run blocking. I think normally, you won't see O-linemen firing off the line of scrimmage to run block if it's a RPO call like you would see if it's a straight up run play called. I could see how running the ball would be less effective if the O-linemen are being hesitant or not as aggressive for a RPO...
That makes sense. I don't know if i'd use "hesitant" or "not aggressive"? It's just a different (technique) block. Plus, lets not forget that only bama opponents are allowed to have linemen downfield...blocking on pass plays. Kinda like all the movement I see by olines pre-snap, yet we seem to get flagged for illegal procedure if someone farts.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I think what you're seeing there is the defense is picking their poison. All out to stop the run...and hope the passing game is "off". Remember, more bad things can happen throwing the ball.
This still doesn’t make sense to as to why we have more success running with Jalen at QB than Tua. Conventional wisdom would be that having a QB that can hit a pass anywhere on the field would force the defense to not commit so much to taking the run away and forcing the pass, thereby opening up the running lanes for the RBs to go crazy.

So you say they are just picking their poison and committing to stopping the run because they can’t do much about the pass. I can buy that I guess....

Except teams commit even more so to stopping the run with Jalen in the run because they know from past experience that his weakness is passing anywhere other than to his right (and yes he has improved a lot imo). But we still seem to be a better running team with Jalen in the game.

I guess I am saying, I don’t completely buy the “selling out to stop the run” line as the answer. I think it has more to do with our own players, whether it is a conscious choice or not, that we are more focused on creating a successful passing game with Tua than a punishing run game. But with Jalen they know they have to get decent production from the run and WE begin to commit to the run. Just imo. :)

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
This still doesn’t make sense to as to why we have more success running with Jalen at QB than Tua. Conventional wisdom would be that having a QB that can hit a pass anywhere on the field would force the defense to not commit so much to taking the run away and forcing the pass, thereby opening up the running lanes for the RBs to go crazy.

So you say they are just picking their poison and committing to stopping the run because they can’t do much about the pass. I can buy that I guess....

Except teams commit even more so to stopping the run with Jalen in the run because they know from past experience that his weakness is passing anywhere other than to his right (and yes he has improved a lot imo). But we still seem to be a better running team with Jalen in the game.

I guess I am saying, I don’t completely buy the “selling out to stop the run” line as the answer. I think it has more to do with our own players, whether it is a conscious choice or not, that we are more focused on creating a successful passing game with Tua than a punishing run game. But with Jalen they know they have to get decent production from the run and WE begin to commit to the run. Just imo. :)
Or maybe its just read options when jalen is in and not rpo? Oline run blocking from the snap...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

The difference is that Jalen is quick to run, while Tua goes thru his progressions looking for a receiver before he considers a run.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
FWIW, a few Ohio State fans are having a very similar discussion about their running game (which is struggling much more than ours) and have come to similar conclusions as some here. Basically, with a passing QB you get fewer reps run blocking, tire out the DL less, etc.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
FWIW, a few Ohio State fans are having a very similar discussion about their running game (which is struggling much more than ours) and have come to similar conclusions as some here. Basically, with a passing QB you get fewer reps run blocking, tire out the DL less, etc.
Yep - has been discussed over and over on the OSU boards. Haskins isn't Tua, but he is the best passer that Meyer has had at OSU and it has completely changed the way that we have played this year, offensively and defensively.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yep - has been discussed over and over on the OSU boards. Haskins isn't Tua, but he is the best passer that Meyer has had at OSU and it has completely changed the way that we have played this year, offensively and defensively.
I'm not sure anyone is Tua but Haskins is pretty dang good.

I didn't realize it until a few weeks ago but he went to a private school in my area, along with a few Penn State players so I'm kinda rooting for him a bit (even if he's from NJ originally). I didn't even realize the school he went to had a football program producing that kind of talent. I used to go to soccer camp there when I was a kid.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As long as we keep beating folks by multiple TDs, I don't care if we pass every down!!!

Honestly, with Tua at QB I'm a little disappointed when we DON'T pass the ball.

But it would be cool if CNS can win a NC this way...leaning on outscoring people and not worring if you give up 20 or 30 as long as you can score 40 or 50.

I know what the critics will say. But what about the game when you can't pass it and score? I think we have enough of the talent, moxy and experience that if we have to revert back to the ground it out and win it that way that we can.

Personally, I'm enjoying this year more than any other CNS offensive team. 2nd choice would probably be 2012 NC team.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As long as we keep beating folks by multiple TDs, I don't care if we pass every down!!!

Honestly, with Tua at QB I'm a little disappointed when we DON'T pass the ball.

But it would be cool if CNS can win a NC this way...leaning on outscoring people and not worring if you give up 20 or 30 as long as you can score 40 or 50.

I know what the critics will say. But what about the game when you can't pass it and score? I think we have enough of the talent, moxy and experience that if we have to revert back to the ground it out and win it that way that we can.

Personally, I'm enjoying this year more than any other CNS offensive team. 2nd choice would probably be 2012 NC team.
The real question is, what happens when/if Tua has a bad game. Even NFL QBs have bad games - some horrifically bad. Would Saban keep his foot on the gas and let Tua play through it, running the offense that you are running with Tua on the field today? Would Saban get more conservative? Coaches approach games like this very differently.

IMO, we have no idea what a game like that looks like. With your talent you could probably just line up and beat anybody, but can you beat anybody if you are doing something else?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The real question is, what happens when/if Tua has a bad game. Even NFL QBs have bad games - some horrifically bad. Would Saban keep his foot on the gas and let Tua play through it, running the offense that you are running with Tua on the field today? Would Saban get more conservative? Coaches approach games like this very differently.

IMO, we have no idea what a game like that looks like. With your talent you could probably just line up and beat anybody, but can you beat anybody if you are doing something else?
I've been wondering this and its partially why I'm looking forward to the the LSU game. I think that team in that environment will give us a good idea of what happens when our offense can't just do whatever it wants. If it doesn't happen @ LSU then I'm not going to worry too much about it because we probably won't play be a tougher combination of defensive talent, defensive coordinator and in that tough of an environment all year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've been wondering this and its partially why I'm looking forward to the the LSU game. I think that team in that environment will give us a good idea of what happens when our offense can't just do whatever it wants. If it doesn't happen @ LSU then I'm not going to worry too much about it because we probably won't play be a tougher combination of defensive talent, defensive coordinator and in that tough of an environment all year.
Yep - LSU will play man defense and let Tua try to beat them over the top in order to stop the run. That's what they do, and they have the secondary to give it a shot. IMO, you are going to have to beat LSU with short passes - 10 play drives instead of 2 play drives. As long as Tua only takes what they give him, you still win by 20. If Tua gets greedy, who knows? Should be fun to watch.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.