SEC Basketball Media Day

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If the scrimmage isn’t open to the public, who got in to keep detailed stats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Look at the minutes played by the better players. Don't freak out over a scrimmage when we were likely less concerned with winning than improving our skills. Tuesday will be more revealing.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If the scrimmage isn’t open to the public, who got in to keep detailed stats?

That was leaked by someone that was there (could have been there for any reason). That sheet looks just like the postgame stat sheets.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
That was leaked by someone that was there (could have been there for any reason). That sheet looks just like the postgame stat sheets.
I was just wondering how someone who was not officially connected to either team got in to see the game.

Yes, that is a standard stat sheet, but it is a lot more than you’d get from someone who just snuck in and took notes.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was just wondering how someone who was not officially connected to either team got in to see the game.

Yes, that is a standard stat sheet, but it is a lot more than you’d get from someone who just snuck in and took notes.

I'm sure the picture was taken by someone associated with one of the teams. Heck, might have been a JSU staffer bragging to some buddies that took it.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I wouldn't. We lost to DII Barry last season in an exhibition and ended up sharing the SEC title.

Y'all had a good laugh about it.

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287650&p=3096410&viewfull=1#post3096410
So you're saying this should bode well for us? ;)

All seriousness aside, I think we will be fine. The SEC is going to be one heck of a conference this year. We just got to make sure we have at least 3 guys who step up as consistent playmakers/scorers

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
My take on the CAJ hot seat talk is it really depends on who is out there for the taking. This may be a really long shot but if Billy Donovan somehow gets fired or moves on from OKC and wants to get back into college coaching I'd move on from Avery in a heartbeat for him. The problem is there's only a few coaches like that who would be obvious upgrades. CAJ has obviously brought more talent to the UA roster but I think a lot of us are still waiting for the other side of that equation which is having the team consistently prepared, improving fundamentals, etc. So unless there's a big fish out there like Billy Donovan that we might have a shot at I think we keep on with CAJ unless the season is just a disaster..

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Much better, think we’re going to get a lot of production out of Smith and Reese this year which will be well needed

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
though a much inferior opponent, it's good to see Hall with double digit rebounds. one of a couple of aspects he needed to improve on if he wants to get to the NBA. does a decent job against average teams. way too athletic to not have bigger rebound numbers against the better opponents

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I have a few observations from the Exhibition game with Montevallo last night.

Kira Lewis is the real deal. He may be slight, but he has great instincts. There is a good chance that he is our best PG right now. Time will tell, but if he can protect the ball, he may start. Galin Smith is our best center. He is a rebounding beast so he'll pick up points simply by rebounding on the offensive end. Donta Hall was solid last night as he should have been against an overmatched opponent. Lets see what he does against a team that has physical bigs. Petty looked good not only in scoring, but he was better at protecting the ball and had a good rebounding night. Herb Jones took a change about 2 minutes into the game so the season is officially here. He is just the most complete player on the team. Alex Resse was really impressive. He had a number of assists, his shooting was outstanding even though he didn't take that many shots, and he rebounded well. It appears the off season program helped him a ton. Tevin Mack had a decent game, but he missed a number of bunnys right at the goal. It simply may be rust, but I expect big things out of him this year. I think he could be the " go to" guy we need and have been missing.

It is clear we will be more than a 1 man team this year. We'll be much more balanced. Coach Johnson is trying to figure out who'll contribute on a regular basis at this point. All in all, it was a decent 1st outing. We have plenty to work on, but that is what you expect when you begin the season.

notes,: Riley Norris was apparently sick, Daniel Giddens has an ankle sprain, and Javian Davis-Fleming has some minor injury as well. All 3 will be back next week from what I've heard.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I saw that the men's team played Auburn last night (10/31) in what I presume was a closed scrimmage, and lost 90-71. I hope the results of this game and the scrimmage with Jax State were the product of CAJ experimenting with various lineups and such. Otherwise, those games don't bode well for the upcoming season.

This is where I saw that there was a game: http://statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=alab

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I saw that the men's team played Auburn last night (10/31) in what I presume was a closed scrimmage, and lost 90-71. I hope the results of this game and the scrimmage with Jax State were the product of CAJ experimenting with various lineups and such. Otherwise, those games don't bode well for the upcoming season.

This is where I saw that there was a game: http://statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=alab
I'm almost certain that is some kind of mistake because I seriously doubt we had a secret mens basketball game against Auburn the night after playing Montevallo.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Avery was at home passing out candy (saw a picture on Twitter.) Doubt it’s true.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.