SEC Basketball Media Day

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think we'll be better than 7th assuming we get good point guard play. I'd say move the boogs to say 8th and us to 3rd. This team will be much more balanced and could be an inside out team. We have the post players to be solid if not spectacular inside. Giddens(if he can stay on the floor), Hall will be steady, Giddens looks to be a beast on the boards, Tevin Mack might be our best player, Alex Reese showed signs of being a solid 3 or 4, and Davis_Fleming may contribute as well. If we can get good distribution of the ball and hit enough 3's to keep the defense honest, I think this could be a special team. I think we'll play defense well enough to get a few runouts, but this team ought to be able to play better in the half court than in years past. Coach Johnson said he wants to run, but I think it may be only in spots depending on the matchups on the floor.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I think we'll be better than 7th assuming we get good point guard play. I'd say move the boogs to say 8th and us to 3rd. This team will be much more balanced and could be an inside out team. We have the post players to be solid if not spectacular inside. Giddens(if he can stay on the floor), Hall will be steady, Giddens looks to be a beast on the boards, Tevin Mack might be our best player, Alex Reese showed signs of being a solid 3 or 4, and Davis_Fleming may contribute as well. If we can get good distribution of the ball and hit enough 3's to keep the defense honest, I think this could be a special team. I think we'll play defense well enough to get a few runouts, but this team ought to be able to play better in the half court than in years past. Coach Johnson said he wants to run, but I think it may be only in spots depending on the matchups on the floor.
I'll be pretty shocked if we finish outside the top 3 in conference. We're stacked this year. Everyone but Heron and Mitchell back. Add Wiley, Doughty, Purifoy and McCormick.

EDIT: Forgot Murray transferred.

So right now, the rotation is:

1. Harper - McCormick - Doughty - Brown
2. Brown - Doughty - McCormick - Purifoy
3. Purifoy - Dunbar - Doughty - Okeke
4. Okeke - Spencer - McLemore - Purifoy
5. Wiley - McLemore - Spencer - Okeke

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
AU is loaded this year. The SEC will be very, very good this season with several teams that are improved over last year. Our pre-SEC schedule seems to be a bit easier this year than last year so I expect a couple of wins there but probably 2-3 more SEC losses due to the strength of the SEC this year. If we can avoid the Dec & Feb slumps that we've hit the past 3 seasons then we shouldn't have any problems getting into the big dance.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Mizzou lost Jontay Porter for the season to a torn MCL and PCL in a scrimmage Saturday. Could be a factor for the bottom half of the conference.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Mizzou lost Jontay Porter for the season to a torn MCL and PCL in a scrimmage Saturday. Could be a factor for the bottom half of the conference.
I saw that. I also read that they have petitioned the NCAA to waive the redshirt requirements for 2 transfers. I haven't followed them at all so I know nothing about the transfers. Losing Porter will definitely hurt because he was a good player for them last year. That family seems to be cursed with the major injuries to Michael last year and Jontay this year.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I saw that. I also read that they have petitioned the NCAA to waive the redshirt requirements for 2 transfers. I haven't followed them at all so I know nothing about the transfers. Losing Porter will definitely hurt because he was a good player for them last year. That family seems to be cursed with the major injuries to Michael last year and Jontay this year.
The Porter sisters are worse than the bros.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/CameronRedler/status/1054183900153552896

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Depends on how this season goes. Can't always make a blanket statement on something with so many variables.
I disagree that Coach Johnson will be on the hot seat if he doesn't make the tourney. He is recruiting well and that is the lifeblood of every program. We have made progress every year and I don't think this year will be any different. I can see that we are much better than we have been in the last probably 12 or so seasons. Even if the teams falls flat on their face, his seat only gets lukewarm.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I disagree that Coach Johnson will be on the hot seat if he doesn't make the tourney. He is recruiting well and that is the lifeblood of every program. We have made progress every year and I don't think this year will be any different. I can see that we are much better than we have been in the last probably 12 or so seasons. Even if the teams falls flat on their face, his seat only gets lukewarm.
I completely agree. Unless a major name got word to GB behind the scenes, I don't see Avery getting on the hot seat.

This idea so many have that "P5 schools should make the NCAA tournament! If you don't, the coach ain't good!" is extremely flawed.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I completely agree. Unless a major name got word to GB behind the scenes, I don't see Avery getting on the hot seat.

This idea so many have that "P5 schools should make the NCAA tournament! If you don't, the coach ain't good!" is extremely flawed.
You are kidding right? Sorry -- if you can't make the tournament at least 2 of every 3 years when they let 68 teams in, isn't my idea of a top coach. It's the equivalent of missing a 24 team football playoff.... How long would Bama have a coach if they didn't make a Top 24 College Football Tournament?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You are kidding right? Sorry -- if you can't make the tournament at least 2 of every 3 years when they let 68 teams in, isn't my idea of a top coach. It's the equivalent of missing a 24 team football playoff.... How long would Bama have a coach if they didn't make a Top 24 College Football Tournament?
You've just proved my point. This thinking is extremely flawed.

For one, the comparison is wrong. Your 24 team college football tournament better include all of D1, which would be 252 football programs.

Secondly, the NCAA tournament is not the top 68 best teams in the nation.

Look at the numbers. There are 351 D1 teams. The NCAA tournament consists of 68 slots. Do you know the odds for a given team to make the tournament from that?

Then, you factor in that 32 of those 68 slots go to conference champs. Logical to think around 10-15 of those are also at-large bids, which helps more teams fill out the remaining 36 slots. No matter what, you're looking at 319 programs fighting for 36 slots. Again, not high odds.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You've just proved my point. This thinking is extremely flawed.

For one, the comparison is wrong. Your 24 team college football tournament better include all of D1, which would be 252 football programs.

Secondly, the NCAA tournament is not the top 68 best teams in the nation.

Look at the numbers. There are 351 D1 teams. The NCAA tournament consists of 68 slots. Do you know the odds for a given team to make the tournament from that?

Then, you factor in that 32 of those 68 slots go to conference champs. Logical to think around 10-15 of those are also at-large bids, which helps more teams fill out the remaining 36 slots. No matter what, you're looking at 319 programs fighting for 36 slots. Again, not high odds.
I look at it this way -- 33-66% of SEC Teams make the tournament in Basketball..... If we aren't in the Top 33%, 50%, 66% -- then we don't have a good situation. Flawed or not -- we can't be the 8th-10th best team in a conference and be happy. Otherwise you might as well call us Ole Miss....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.