2019 Prospect: **** 2019 5 star DL Ishmael Sopsher SIGNS with Bama ****

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

His brother is not SEC talent, and from what I’ve heard, may not be eligible right now anyways.

If he chose Bama, he’d play next year if he beats out other incoming freshmen.

Byron Young seems to have passed him in a few peoples eyes lately.
I was thinking Young was more of a DE like Buggs and Davis and Ismael was an inside DT/NT like Payne.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA

Really? Does he want to lose 40 lbs, too? He is not a DE.
Depends on the system. He isn’t a rush DE for sure.

Here is what I was referencing:

There’s a sense of humility and self-awareness in Ish’s demeanor. He says he knows he’s got to continue working on all aspects of his game to be successful as a college player. He has dominated in one of the two smallest classes of prep football, although Amite played in Class 3A his first two seasons.
In his first college practice he will be going against players his size, some larger. He’d rather play end in a 3-4 front rather than nose tackle but will likely have to shed some weight to do so.
Full article https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_090df670-0556-11e9-9e24-7348bc417677.html

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Depends on the system. He isn’t a rush DE for sure.

Here is what I was referencing:

There’s a sense of humility and self-awareness in Ish’s demeanor. He says he knows he’s got to continue working on all aspects of his game to be successful as a college player. He has dominated in one of the two smallest classes of prep football, although Amite played in Class 3A his first two seasons.
In his first college practice he will be going against players his size, some larger. He’d rather play end in a 3-4 front rather than nose tackle but will likely have to shed some weight to do so.
Full article https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_090df670-0556-11e9-9e24-7348bc417677.html
Thanks, but he is still too heavy for that position. I get not wanting to play NT but he would have to lose weight to play DE in the 3-4 if he wants to be a first round pick. JMO, but players should play where they are told to play. Coaches know better than they do where they will have the most success.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Thanks, but he is still too heavy for that position. I get not wanting to play NT but he would have to lose weight to play DE in the 3-4 if he wants to be a first round pick. JMO, but players should play where they are told to play. Coaches know better than they do where they will have the most success.
I know he will play inside if he signs with Bama, no discussion. Coach O may tell him he can play whatever position he wants if he signs with LSU.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA

I know he will play inside if he signs with Bama, no discussion. Coach O may tell him he can play whatever position he wants if he signs with LSU.
The 3 position on Aranda’s DL in the 3-4 is still “inside” when the rush OLB is on your side.
I understand Bama can sign 28 this year. Tidefans shows 23 have already signed a LOI leaving 5 open spots. Coming into today, you had 3 committed but not signed in Young, Williams and Robinson. Today you added Banks and Bogle. Seemingly, that’s it unless I’m missing something.

Who’s getting processed to make room for Ish and/or To’oto’o? Who else is out there? DeVonta lee seemingly wants Bama, but there’s no room at the inn.

I find roster management in CFB fascinating.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The 3 position on Aranda’s DL in the 3-4 is still “inside” when the rush OLB is on your side.
I just read a little about Aranda's defense and you are right. Thing is, in that alignment you really have 2 DTs on the field, not 2 DEs.

Maybe my hangup is in the use of the term DE (defensive end). IMO, he is a DT. Maybe he doesn't want to be a NT, but that doesn't make him a DE. He cannot play the 5 technique at 340 pounds. He is too limited in the 3-4 as a DT who is not playing NT - his talent would be wasted. Maybe as one of two DTs in a 4-3, but not in a 3-4.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I just read a little about Aranda's defense and you are right. Thing is, in that alignment you really have 2 DTs on the field, not 2 DEs.

Maybe my hangup is in the use of the term DE (defensive end). IMO, he is a DT. Maybe he doesn't want to be a NT, but that doesn't make him a DE. He cannot play the 5 technique at 340 pounds. He is too limited in the 3-4 as a DT who is not playing NT - his talent would be wasted. Maybe as one of two DTs in a 4-3, but not in a 3-4.
Bama's alignment isn't really that different when you think about it. Our "DE's" are Davis at 315 and Buggs at 286. Robinson (322) and Reed (306) both played a lot at DE also. Both those guys are DT's in the NFL as will Davis and Buggs.

Basically, we've typically got two bigs even though one is technically playing a DE slot and one plays the NT slot, then a little bit lighter guy like Jon Allen playing the other DE, even though in some alignments he also lined up inside.

That said, I think you are right about him losing weight, but I think that's going to have to happen regardless of if he is a NT, DT, or "DE (in the bama sense)" simply because we don't have huge 340LB guys anymore, not even at NT. Payne was only 320, but he was a rock solid 320, and Sopsher would have to work to get there.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I've seen some comments that Ish perhaps slid down the list after the all-star games this weekend, but was not able to watch. Anyone have any insights?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I've seen some comments that Ish perhaps slid down the list after the all-star games this weekend, but was not able to watch. Anyone have any insights?
There were just some comments to that effect. If you`ve ever been to, or through, Amite, LA you`d know that that could be a distinct possibility. Not saying he`s not a good player, mind, and I`m also not saying I wouldn`t love to see us get him, but Amite ain`t Atlanta, or New Orleans, or Miami, if you catch my drift. That`s just a fact.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

There were just some comments to that effect. If you`ve ever been to, or through, Amite, LA you`d know that that could be a distinct possibility. Not saying he`s not a good player, mind, and I`m also not saying I wouldn`t love to see us get him, but Amite ain`t Atlanta, or New Orleans, or Miami, if you catch my drift. That`s just a fact.
completely understand. his HS highlights look great, then you realize the OT he is up against is 6' even, and maybe 240LBs soaking wet so it's hard to judge. Only thing I saw was that over the 3 days of practice notes, he was not mentioned as 'alpha dog' or in the top five at all.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

To counterpoint, Devonte Smith and Shyheim Carter are from Amite. I think he will be a stud with the right coaching.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

It all depends on his reaction to going up against similar talent. He can take the teaching and grow, or he can stay where he's at. The choice is entirely his to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

To counterpoint, Devonte Smith and Shyheim Carter are from Amite. I think he will be a stud with the right coaching.
Absolutely true, TJ. I would submit that " skill " position players that depend in large measure on quickness and footspeed have a better chance to excel, even coming from smaller schools and towns like Amite. Truly large guys, through their sheer size sometimes can dominate until they hit the level of an elite all star game. IS, receiving the coaching and conditioning to which you refer, might well be an all American D lineman. If he comes to Bama I certainly hope so!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Absolutely true, TJ. I would submit that " skill " position players that depend in large measure on quickness and footspeed have a better chance to excel, even coming from smaller schools and towns like Amite. Truly large guys, through their sheer size sometimes can dominate until they hit the level of an elite all star game. IS, receiving the coaching and conditioning to which you refer, might well be an all American D lineman. If he comes to Bama I certainly hope so!
They are all still competing against small town 1A players and the other skill guys they compete against are not as skilled so they are competing against lesser opponents just like the big boys. Plus I don't see the top tier programs that are drooling to get his signature are wrong.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.