2019 Prospect: **** 2019 5 star DL Ishmael Sopsher SIGNS with Bama **** - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 142
  1. #66
    BamaNation First Team LSUgrad2BamaDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Destrehan, LA
    Posts
    775

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Really? Does he want to lose 40 lbs, too? He is not a DE.
    Depends on the system. He isn’t a rush DE for sure.

    Here is what I was referencing:

    There’s a sense of humility and self-awareness in Ish’s demeanor. He says he knows he’s got to continue working on all aspects of his game to be successful as a college player. He has dominated in one of the two smallest classes of prep football, although Amite played in Class 3A his first two seasons.
    In his first college practice he will be going against players his size, some larger. He’d rather play end in a 3-4 front rather than nose tackle but will likely have to shed some weight to do so.
    Full article https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...8bc417677.html
    "(The Campus Catholic Sudent Center) is going to be our legacy, Terry and I's legacy, that we're going to be as proud of as anything we've ever accomplished," -Nick Saban
    " I come in peace" -WSIV70 (my old user name)

  2. #67
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,154

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    Quote Originally Posted by LSUgrad2BamaDad View Post
    Depends on the system. He isn’t a rush DE for sure.

    Here is what I was referencing:

    There’s a sense of humility and self-awareness in Ish’s demeanor. He says he knows he’s got to continue working on all aspects of his game to be successful as a college player. He has dominated in one of the two smallest classes of prep football, although Amite played in Class 3A his first two seasons.
    In his first college practice he will be going against players his size, some larger. He’d rather play end in a 3-4 front rather than nose tackle but will likely have to shed some weight to do so.
    Full article https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...8bc417677.html
    Thanks, but he is still too heavy for that position. I get not wanting to play NT but he would have to lose weight to play DE in the 3-4 if he wants to be a first round pick. JMO, but players should play where they are told to play. Coaches know better than they do where they will have the most success.

  3. #68
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    8,594

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Thanks, but he is still too heavy for that position. I get not wanting to play NT but he would have to lose weight to play DE in the 3-4 if he wants to be a first round pick. JMO, but players should play where they are told to play. Coaches know better than they do where they will have the most success.
    I know he will play inside if he signs with Bama, no discussion. Coach O may tell him he can play whatever position he wants if he signs with LSU.

  4. #69
    BamaNation First Team LSUgrad2BamaDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Destrehan, LA
    Posts
    775

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    I know he will play inside if he signs with Bama, no discussion. Coach O may tell him he can play whatever position he wants if he signs with LSU.
    The 3 position on Aranda’s DL in the 3-4 is still “inside” when the rush OLB is on your side.
    I understand Bama can sign 28 this year. Tidefans shows 23 have already signed a LOI leaving 5 open spots. Coming into today, you had 3 committed but not signed in Young, Williams and Robinson. Today you added Banks and Bogle. Seemingly, that’s it unless I’m missing something.

    Who’s getting processed to make room for Ish and/or To’oto’o? Who else is out there? DeVonta lee seemingly wants Bama, but there’s no room at the inn.

    I find roster management in CFB fascinating.
    "(The Campus Catholic Sudent Center) is going to be our legacy, Terry and I's legacy, that we're going to be as proud of as anything we've ever accomplished," -Nick Saban
    " I come in peace" -WSIV70 (my old user name)

  5. #70
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,154

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    Quote Originally Posted by LSUgrad2BamaDad View Post
    The 3 position on Aranda’s DL in the 3-4 is still “inside” when the rush OLB is on your side.
    I just read a little about Aranda's defense and you are right. Thing is, in that alignment you really have 2 DTs on the field, not 2 DEs.

    Maybe my hangup is in the use of the term DE (defensive end). IMO, he is a DT. Maybe he doesn't want to be a NT, but that doesn't make him a DE. He cannot play the 5 technique at 340 pounds. He is too limited in the 3-4 as a DT who is not playing NT - his talent would be wasted. Maybe as one of two DTs in a 4-3, but not in a 3-4.

  6. #71
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,725

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I just read a little about Aranda's defense and you are right. Thing is, in that alignment you really have 2 DTs on the field, not 2 DEs.

    Maybe my hangup is in the use of the term DE (defensive end). IMO, he is a DT. Maybe he doesn't want to be a NT, but that doesn't make him a DE. He cannot play the 5 technique at 340 pounds. He is too limited in the 3-4 as a DT who is not playing NT - his talent would be wasted. Maybe as one of two DTs in a 4-3, but not in a 3-4.
    Bama's alignment isn't really that different when you think about it. Our "DE's" are Davis at 315 and Buggs at 286. Robinson (322) and Reed (306) both played a lot at DE also. Both those guys are DT's in the NFL as will Davis and Buggs.

    Basically, we've typically got two bigs even though one is technically playing a DE slot and one plays the NT slot, then a little bit lighter guy like Jon Allen playing the other DE, even though in some alignments he also lined up inside.

    That said, I think you are right about him losing weight, but I think that's going to have to happen regardless of if he is a NT, DT, or "DE (in the bama sense)" simply because we don't have huge 340LB guys anymore, not even at NT. Payne was only 320, but he was a rock solid 320, and Sopsher would have to work to get there.

  7. #72
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,725

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    I've seen some comments that Ish perhaps slid down the list after the all-star games this weekend, but was not able to watch. Anyone have any insights?

  8. #73
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,676

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    Quote Originally Posted by gtgilbert View Post
    I've seen some comments that Ish perhaps slid down the list after the all-star games this weekend, but was not able to watch. Anyone have any insights?
    There were just some comments to that effect. If you`ve ever been to, or through, Amite, LA you`d know that that could be a distinct possibility. Not saying he`s not a good player, mind, and I`m also not saying I wouldn`t love to see us get him, but Amite ain`t Atlanta, or New Orleans, or Miami, if you catch my drift. That`s just a fact.

  9. #74
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,725

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    There were just some comments to that effect. If you`ve ever been to, or through, Amite, LA you`d know that that could be a distinct possibility. Not saying he`s not a good player, mind, and I`m also not saying I wouldn`t love to see us get him, but Amite ain`t Atlanta, or New Orleans, or Miami, if you catch my drift. That`s just a fact.
    completely understand. his HS highlights look great, then you realize the OT he is up against is 6' even, and maybe 240LBs soaking wet so it's hard to judge. Only thing I saw was that over the 3 days of practice notes, he was not mentioned as 'alpha dog' or in the top five at all.

  10. #75
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    8,594

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    There were just some comments to that effect. If you`ve ever been to, or through, Amite, LA you`d know that that could be a distinct possibility. Not saying he`s not a good player, mind, and I`m also not saying I wouldn`t love to see us get him, but Amite ain`t Atlanta, or New Orleans, or Miami, if you catch my drift. That`s just a fact.
    To counterpoint, Devonte Smith and Shyheim Carter are from Amite. I think he will be a stud with the right coaching.

  11. #76
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    5,485

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    Quote Originally Posted by gtgilbert View Post
    I've seen some comments that Ish perhaps slid down the list after the all-star games this weekend, but was not able to watch. Anyone have any insights?
    It all depends on his reaction to going up against similar talent. He can take the teaching and grow, or he can stay where he's at. The choice is entirely his to make.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

  12. #77
    BamaNation All-SEC TideWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    newton county, ms
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    He is quick and strong; he will be a player if he puts the effort into it. Huge recruit to get.

  13. #78
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,676

    Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

    Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    To counterpoint, Devonte Smith and Shyheim Carter are from Amite. I think he will be a stud with the right coaching.
    Absolutely true, TJ. I would submit that " skill " position players that depend in large measure on quickness and footspeed have a better chance to excel, even coming from smaller schools and towns like Amite. Truly large guys, through their sheer size sometimes can dominate until they hit the level of an elite all star game. IS, receiving the coaching and conditioning to which you refer, might well be an all American D lineman. If he comes to Bama I certainly hope so!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear