2019 Prospect: **** 2019 5 star DL Ishmael Sopsher SIGNS with Bama ****

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Re: 2019 5 star DL Ismael Sopsher

I have a feeling this won't be a complete deal breaker for us, and may get two d linemen out of it.
big bro doesn't look like he could contribute without something significant happening in his development. He's not even big enough to be an OLB yet only has NT speed. Best case a practice squad kid so unless we completely wiff on someone else and just have a scholly to burn not sure it makes sense.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam

I remember with Keenan Allen we didn’t bite on his brother so he went to Cali. from SC I believe. We were recruiting him as a DB as I recall.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

big bro doesn't look like he could contribute without something significant happening in his development. He's not even big enough to be an OLB yet only has NT speed. Best case a practice squad kid so unless we completely wiff on someone else and just have a scholly to burn not sure it makes sense.
And what kind of message does that send to preferred walk-ons if you hand this kid a scholly? It is the kind of thing that creates locker room problems.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

And what kind of message does that send to preferred walk-ons if you hand this kid a scholly? It is the kind of thing that creates locker room problems.
I agree completely. I know we took Anfrenee Jennings little brother, but he was ranked well as an athlete and had some of the measurables to be able to be a contributor, it just didn't pan out for him after the knee issue.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I don’t see Saban being held hostage for a scholarship for big brother. Orgeron, maybe. Not Saban.

He’s a preferred walk-on, or the Sopshers end up somewhere other than Tuscaloosa.

I really don’t like a HS senior trying to dictate how we run our program. I also hope Sopsher ends up in Crimson. But it won’t be on terms dictated by an 18-year-old.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I don’t see Saban being held hostage for a scholarship for big brother. Orgeron, maybe. Not Saban.

He’s a preferred walk-on, or the Sopshers end up somewhere other than Tuscaloosa.

I really don’t like a HS senior trying to dictate how we run our program. I also hope Sopsher ends up in Crimson. But it won’t be on terms dictated by an 18-year-old.
Personally, I don't think there's much to worry about when it comes to HS seniors dictating how the program is run.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The reality - if he really wants to help his brother, he is best served doing so by maximizing his potential. He can help his brother for the rest of his life if he makes it to the NFL. The question he should be asking himself is, "What school offers me the best opportunity to reach the NFL?"

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

The reality - if he really wants to help his brother, he is best served doing so by maximizing his potential. He can help his brother for the rest of his life if he makes it to the NFL. The question he should be asking himself is, "What school offers me the best opportunity to reach the NFL?"
Agree. Can`t fault him for wanting to help his big bro. How deep and comprehensive the thought process is will be the key to doing that in the best way possible. Hope the young man has someone with a modicum of wisdom advising him, regardless of how this turns out.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA

Is there a difference between LSU and Alabama when it comes to creating opportunity for the NFL? LSU and Alabama are neck and neck with number of draft picks over the last 10 years and with the number of active players. Plus, the way many of these guys think is that they’re going to the league regardless. Heck, if that was an issue, why did Ed Oliver end up at Houston and not LSU? Guy is still going to be a top pick this year. Now, if you want to say it’s opportunity to win championships, Bama has an unbeatable advantage.

Some guys want to play right away. LSU has less depth right now on the DL. He most likely would be a solid contributor in 2019 at LSU. At Bama, he might not see the field. However, back to how these guys think, especially when they are a 5* is that they will see the field wherever they go.

Some guys like Devin White love their home state and want to stay home. Nothing wrong with that. He loved his college experience despite some disappointments on the field. So much so, he is really struggling with staying vs leaving. I think he should and probably will go.

Hope this young man has someone with a modicum of wisdom advising him, regardless of how this turns out
His dad, his brother, and the barber. It’s going to be LSU or Bama. From there it’s up to him. Word from the All star game last week is that his stock dropped now that he had to face equal athletes. Regardless, I would prefer he choose LSU, but I would understand if he chooses Bama. The fact that LSU is the only school that has offered Rodney a scholarship and Ish hasn’t committed tells me that he prefers Bama.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA

I agree with this. It’s about perception for LSU. We are not in position to turn away a 5* in state talent that has a 4* teammate (DeVonta Lee) we could use. Lee is possibly going to be squeezed out by numbers at Bama.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Is there a difference between LSU and Alabama when it comes to creating opportunity for the NFL? LSU and Alabama are neck and neck with number of draft picks over the last 10 years and with the number of active players. Plus, the way many of these guys think is that they’re going to the league regardless. Heck, if that was an issue, why did Ed Oliver end up at Houston and not LSU? Guy is still going to be a top pick this year. Now, if you want to say it’s opportunity to win championships, Bama has an unbeatable advantage.

Some guys want to play right away. LSU has less depth right now on the DL. He most likely would be a solid contributor in 2019 at LSU. At Bama, he might not see the field. However, back to how these guys think, especially when they are a 5* is that they will see the field wherever they go.

Some guys like Devin White love their home state and want to stay home. Nothing wrong with that. He loved his college experience despite some disappointments on the field. So much so, he is really struggling with staying vs leaving. I think he should and probably will go.

His dad, his brother, and the barber. It’s going to be LSU or Bama. From there it’s up to him. Word from the All star game last week is that his stock dropped now that he had to face equal athletes. Regardless, I would prefer he choose LSU, but I would understand if he chooses Bama. The fact that LSU is the only school that has offered Rodney a scholarship and Ish hasn’t committed tells me that he prefers Bama.
That`s great. I`ll assume from your mentioning them that they have the wisdom to which I referred. Many of these young men do not, I fear, have the benefit of such.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA

That`s great. I`ll assume from your mentioning them that they have the wisdom to which I referred. Many of these young men do not, I fear, have the benefit of such.
Yes, it’s unfortunate that many of these young men have no male role models in their life. Ish is lucky to have some. It’s not like he is being advised to go a great school/program where he could be miserable due to homesickness and culture shock (Notre Dame, Penn state and the like). Both Bama and LSU are solid picks.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

His brother is not SEC talent, and from what I’ve heard, may not be eligible right now anyways.

If he chose Bama, he’d play next year if he beats out other incoming freshmen.

Byron Young seems to have passed him in a few peoples eyes lately.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.