Salt is bad for your health

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Fake news. I mean that in that when I was growing up it went from "the incredible, edible egg" jingle to "eggs are the leading cause of high cholesterol, heart disease," etc. Those were the worlds experts saying that. Now, eggs are so very healthy and good for you and blah blah blah.

I'll take my chances. All things in moderation, except heroin. There should be no limits on heroin (blue font.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Fake news. I mean that in that when I was growing up it went from "the incredible, edible egg" jingle to "eggs are the leading cause of high cholesterol, heart disease," etc. Those were the worlds experts saying that. Now, eggs are so very healthy and good for you and blah blah blah.

I'll take my chances. All things in moderation, except heroin. There should be no limits on heroin (blue font.)

Oh, yeah, right. I forgot - National Geographic is probably the most prominent purveyor of fake news.
So much to say - but no one to say it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

If you are reading somewhere that eggs are now healthy to eat you should likely examine if the source is funded by the Egg Board!

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
https://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-eggs-health-benefits

Like I said....experts. They know nothing.

While everyone is different, you should do what works for you.

My meals by the week currently consist of
-1.5 sticks of butter
-4 lbs of ribeye
-2 lbs salad
-14 eggs
-14 sausage patties
-7 PB sandwiches

For years I tried this diet and that. Finally, i just decided that I wanted to eat like I did during the few good years I had of living on a farm.

I'm pretty sure that would kill some of you. As of my annual physical last week my blood pressure was 96 over 63, LDL of 123 and quite frankly, I don't remember the HDL numbers. Most of my work peer group (late 30s/early 40s) are struggling with high blood pressure and high cholesterol and compared to them, I eat like I'm suicidal.

My point is, from what I've seen of experts lately, I'll take my chances in certain areas. The fact that I KNOW you'll die without salt intake in some form tells me that it can't be all that bad.

Below is from healthline.com.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The articles states the health effects of microplastics in salt is unknown.

Oh, and eggs are now generally considered good for your health so enjoy!
Maybe the effects are unknown because it’s not something anyone has bothered to study; “eating plastic” has never been a “thing” for anyone before. It’s been limited to seagulls and aquatic life, and those studies have ramped up. Since plastics are made from oil, I’m going to pass on the salt.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I remember back in the 1960's my father was always on a strict diet for his heart problems. He followed it religiously and still passed away from a heart attack at age 69. All those years he gave up foods he loved to live longer and it didn't do him much good. Things his doctors told him to avoid

Salt
Real Butter
Eggs
Seafood
Bacon
Alcohol
All fried foods

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Maybe the effects are unknown because it’s not something anyone has bothered to study; “eating plastic” has never been a “thing” for anyone before. It’s been limited to seagulls and aquatic life, and those studies have ramped up. Since plastics are made from oil, I’m going to pass on the salt.

Point is you said it's bad for your health and I simply stated the evidence has not born that out yet. You don't know and don't want to take the chance is quite different but perfectly reasonable.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
https://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-eggs-health-benefits

Like I said....experts. They know nothing.

While everyone is different, you should do what works for you.

My meals by the week currently consist of
-1.5 sticks of butter
-4 lbs of ribeye
-2 lbs salad
-14 eggs
-14 sausage patties
-7 PB sandwiches

For years I tried this diet and that. Finally, i just decided that I wanted to eat like I did during the few good years I had of living on a farm.

I'm pretty sure that would kill some of you. As of my annual physical last week my blood pressure was 96 over 63, LDL of 123 and quite frankly, I don't remember the HDL numbers. Most of my work peer group (late 30s/early 40s) are struggling with high blood pressure and high cholesterol and compared to them, I eat like I'm suicidal.

My point is, from what I've seen of experts lately, I'll take my chances in certain areas. The fact that I KNOW you'll die without salt intake in some form tells me that it can't be all that bad.

Below is from healthline.com.

It is true that some people because of their genetic makeup can eat practically any type of fat and maintain very high levels of HDL and very low LDL. Some will manage to live beyond 100. Most of us obviously do not have those genetics because there are nearly 800,000 strokes and 800,000 people dying from heart disease in the US each year.

The diet you describe would be suicidal for most of us and I do believe that there is much more authoritative research out there beyond that found on Web MD.

Based on my personal experience I would recommend that people follow nutrition research based on their age and health status. If someone is 40, for example, they would be wise to live now for the health status they desire to have in their 80's. I always say, particularly to women, focus on the health you want when you are 80 and beyond.

Seriously there is a lot to be learned about nutrition and we only have to look at people like Tom Brady and Drew Brees who are performing at a world class level well past the time most athletic careers end.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My wife's side of the family is filled with people in the medical field including doctors, surgeons, PA's and PT's etc. I've heard on more than one occasion several of her cousins who are doctors say that they wouldn't ever tell any of their patients, but genetics play anywhere between 65%-70% of one's health. Family history is a very strong indicator of what your health is going to be like. They never would advise to throw caution to the wind and eat buckets of lard and hook an IV of sugar to your arm. But the reality of it is we aren't in as much control as we think regarding our health. Control the things you can or the things you think you can. But don't ever think you have complete control of your health.

I will say this, I did ask one of her cousins "If you could give only one bit of advice regarding one's health, what would it be?" Without even hesitating, she said "stress", "limit the amount of stress in your life". In her opinion, the amount of stress in one's life is a gateway to sickness and health problems. More so than what we're actually eating. Take that for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Everything within reason.

Bacon? BAD
Salt? BAD
Sugar? BAD
Alcohol? BAD

I like all of these, and enjoy my bacon once a week at Whole Foods's deli. The big thick slices, not the paper-thin crap you find most places.

Salt. I work out a lot, so I definitely need salt to be replenished. Drink a lot of water in the process.

Sugar. I love my dulce de leche. In moderation.

Alcohol. Ditto. Moderation.

A healthy lifestyle has its' limits. At some point, you lose your enjoyment of life. Who gives a crap if my healthy lifestyle gets me to 90+ years on this Earth.....if I have never really enjoyed the good food that I like?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.