Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Everything within reason.

Bacon? BAD
Salt? BAD
Sugar? BAD
Alcohol? BAD

I like all of these, and enjoy my bacon once a week at Whole Foods's deli. The big thick slices, not the paper-thin crap you find most places.

Salt. I work out a lot, so I definitely need salt to be replenished. Drink a lot of water in the process.

Sugar. I love my dulce de leche. In moderation.

Alcohol. Ditto. Moderation.

A healthy lifestyle has its' limits. At some point, you lose your enjoyment of life. Who gives a crap if my healthy lifestyle gets me to 90+ years on this Earth.....if I have never really enjoyed the good food that I like?
I couldn't agree more. There's a balance that must be found in everyone's life and that "balance" might not be the same for everybody. My co-worker in the office next to me is a health NUT JOB. He obsesses about every little thing he puts into his mouth to the point of annoying. There's no way I could live my life on a daily basis fretting over what's in every thing that goes into my mouth. Granted, that maybe his "balance". But it definitely isn't mine. It would stress me out to the point of being sick.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Fake news. I mean that in that when I was growing up it went from "the incredible, edible egg" jingle to "eggs are the leading cause of high cholesterol, heart disease," etc. Those were the worlds experts saying that. Now, eggs are so very healthy and good for you and blah blah blah.

I'll take my chances. All things in moderation, except heroin. There should be no limits on heroin (blue font.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Since the chickens have cut salt from their diets the eggs are now a healthier option and much better for you. :biggrin2:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Point is you said it's bad for your health and I simply stated the evidence has not born that out yet. You don't know and don't want to take the chance is quite different but perfectly reasonable.
Too much salt is bad for your health. I should have qualified the topic title.
But if you think eating plastic (not salt) is good for you, have at it.
My post was intended to point out the article which states that 90% of table salt has Microplastics in it. The thread title was implying that adding Microplastics to salt made it bad for your health. My bad. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I couldn't agree more. There's a balance that must be found in everyone's life and that "balance" might not be the same for everybody. My co-worker in the office next to me is a health NUT JOB. He obsesses about every little thing he puts into his mouth to the point of annoying. There's no way I could live my life on a daily basis fretting over what's in every thing that goes into my mouth. Granted, that maybe his "balance". But it definitely isn't mine. It would stress me out to the point of being sick.
I am a grocery merchandiser. I used to work with this guy who was a health food nut. If we were doing a set together, he would point out the fat grams on random products.

But when we went on out of town jobs, he would get rip roaring drunk every night. I also suspect (from comments he would make) he was a recreational drug user.

Bamafaninco1

All-SEC
May 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al
I just try not to eat anything I can't pronounce. My doctor and dietician both told me an omelet every day is fine. I stopped eating everything in site and going back for thirds, I have lost 60 pounds of fat in the past year and am just a couple months away from taking a blood test that might get me off Metformin. I still eat what I want, I just do it reasonable.
I have never used much salt except for what is already in the food or maybe a pinch just to add some flavor, pepper is a sub for me.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I rejoiced with my last blood tests. My sodium level finally made it up to 138, so I'm finally up in normal range (135+). It takes a lot of work and salt to keep it there. (Same problem with magnesium and some other electrolytes.) My point is that folks who are posting pro and con on salt and don't know their own sodium (and chloride) levels are talking through their hats and should be ignored. Ask your doc! They'll happily put it on your - at least annual - tests...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I rejoiced with my last blood tests. My sodium level finally made it up to 138, so I'm finally up in normal range (135+). It takes a lot of work and salt to keep it there. (Same problem with magnesium and some other electrolytes.) My point is that folks who are posting pro and con on salt and don't know their own sodium (and chloride) levels are talking through their hats and should be ignored. Ask your doc! They'll happily put it on your - at least annual - tests...
Just curious - did they test you for Microplastics? [emoji6]

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Too much salt is bad for your health. I should have qualified the topic title.
But if you think eating plastic (not salt) is good for you, have at it.
My post was intended to point out the article which states that 90% of table salt has Microplastics in it. The thread title was implying that adding Microplastics to salt made it bad for your health. My bad. [emoji57]

Keeping these threads on topic is like herding cats! Some here have the attention span of a gnat.:biggrin:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just curious - did they test you for Microplastics? [emoji6]

Since I'm neither a fish, a bivalve nor a crustacean, no. However, I'm a lot more likely to die of deficiencies in my electrolytes more quickly than I am from microplastics. However, our table and seasoning salt comes from France, if that tells you anything. IMO, it equally as important for people to know their electrolytes and trace mineral element levels as it is for lipids, except for LDL. Probably more important...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Since I'm neither a fish, a bivalve nor a crustacean, no. However, I'm a lot more likely to die of deficiencies in my electrolytes more quickly than I am from microplastics. However, our table and seasoning salt comes from France, if that tells you anything. IMO, it equally as important for people to know their electrolytes and trace mineral element levels as it is for lipids, except for LDL. Probably more important...
With me, it’s sugar (I venture back and forth over the “prediabetic” line). As we age, I know things change, but for over 30 years I’ve been taking multivitamins and mineral supplements (even chlorophyll for almost 20 years) and I’ve maintained a balanced diet. After my back situation worsened, I gained weight because of reducing my physical activity (which I have resumed in spades and have lost the weight).
Back on topic - Asia seems to be the culprit. There was an issue about 6 months ago with ground up plastic in rice, don’t recall the country of origin but it was Asian.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
With me, it’s sugar (I venture back and forth over the “prediabetic” line). As we age, I know things change, but for over 30 years I’ve been taking multivitamins and mineral supplements (even chlorophyll for almost 20 years) and I’ve maintained a balanced diet. After my back situation worsened, I gained weight because of reducing my physical activity (which I have resumed in spades and have lost the weight).
Back on topic - Asia seems to be the culprit. There was an issue about 6 months ago with ground up plastic in rice, don’t recall the country of origin but it was Asian.

The fact is that Asian salt is the biggest (and cheapest) culprit when it comes to microplastics. We've been using French salt, which is costly but plastic-free. Also plastic-free is Himalayan salt. However, you have no control over the salt which comes in your food. There are no studies on the long-term effects of plastics in the human body. We can control our trace elements, though. I generally oppose multi-vitamins, since, without blood levels being tested, it's just stumbling around blind. I think that mineral levels should be part of an annual checkup...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.