Josh Jacobs as the starting RB ?

Bryant0086

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2009
While I think Damien did not get enough carries...... I think starting Josh was a great move. Let the defense get tired trying to chase down his quickness and wiggle that Jacobs possesses, then bring in the muscle of the Harris duo and they could break more tackles. Just my thought.

Bryant0086

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2009
Josh and Najee had comparable results. Josh had more carries, but they were 5.7 and 5.6 average per carry respectively. I've been impressed with all three.
I think you can probably put the names in a hat and draw them out as far as who the best back is of the three. I wouldn't even be surprised if Robinson were in the mix if he were given more carries with the starting OL. He is also a quality back, not simply a local hero. Josh probably has the lowest YPC for the year but the most first down runs and TD runs. He has some intangibles that I can't put my finger on. I think I made a post about Josh on another thread. He reminds me of Manu Ginobili a former NBA player. Manu sometimes looked pedestrian on the stat sheet, but looked amazing on the court of the same game.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
All the RBs look hungry when they hit the field. Jacobs strikes me as being the most aggressive this year, especially lately. He runs hard, determined. Reminds me a lot of Ingram*.

* Since CNS arrived in T'town, Ingram IMO, has been our best back. Might not have the numbers of some other guys, but he was explosive and really an aggressive downhill runner. Not to take anything away from our other backs, I've loved watching them all.

All the RBs look hungry when they hit the field. Jacobs strikes me as being the most aggressive this year, especially lately. He runs hard, determined. Reminds me a lot of Ingram*.

* Since CNS arrived in T'town, Ingram IMO, has been our best back. Might not have the numbers of some other guys, but he was explosive and really an aggressive downhill runner. Not to take anything away from our other backs, I've loved watching them all.
The hunger part you are so right. They all run so hard and have one rested back come in right behind the next has to be demoralizing. Najee just seems like he run with anger though. It’s like he’s out there fighting with his feet. With all the hurdling he does he seems the most aggressive. Still, I love when I see Jacobs run it. It’s like he’s the combo of both Damien and Najee.

By the way, I still think Derrick Henry was better. I don’t think there was a team that shut him down that year. We all knew he was getting the ball and they still couldn’t stop him.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Josh is finally healthy and able to show on a regular basis what he showed flashes of between injuries. He adds a dynamic to the backfield that is very valuable, IMO

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Although I believe Damien Harris is still the number one back. He wasn’t The first to play yesterday but the reason was an internal punishment or correction of some sort. I don’t think the fact that Josh Jacobs started yesterday is indicative of the fact that he is now the number one back going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I have no clue why Damien didn't start or play more than he did. I know the run game seems to have suffered as of late. But that's been true, regardless of the runner. We have 4 good running backs that can produce. Damien could have opted for the NFL draft, but wanted to stay another year. So, something must be up. Disciplinary reasons? He was lacking in practice? Game plan change for whatever reason?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think Saban has been happy with the run game's consistency, especially in power run situations such as short yardage or goal line. Maybe that is why we saw Brown out there at guard and Jacobs at tailback. He gave some other reasons for Cotton and declined to say for Harris but ultimately I think it was about kickstarting some competition. With that in mind this was far less sloppy than all indication prior suggested this game might be. Shaking things up can make everyone understand bad tape may mean less playing time.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Saturday Down South quotes Saban as saying only it was an "internal" issue regarding Damien. I love all our backs, but I think I actually enjoy watching Josh the most.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I happen to think D. Harris was a production "loser" for this shift to a pass-leaning RPO scheme. These schemes seem to flourish when you have a back that can physically gut out those interior plunges for at least 3-4 yards. D. Harris has gotten better at engaging contact and driving forward after contact but that ultimately is not his game.

With that said, he's our best past catcher at tailback and he's been a production winner in the non-RPO aspects of the offense because he's a legit threat when they release all eligible receivers (more often now with Tua).

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Najee, to me, looks like he's trying to hit the home run every single carry. It seems like he rushes and cuts or spins when he doesn't have to. Maybe a byproduct of limited carries, he's pushing to make big plays when 5 yards will do just fine.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It doesn't really matter who starts. All 4 of our RBs are good enough to be the guy any given game. Same with our WR and Irv Smith

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
It doesn't really matter who starts. All 4 of our RBs are good enough to be the guy any given game. Same with our WR and Irv Smith
This is a very good group of Backs for sure. Each with a different style. I really like to watch Jacobs and D. Harris hit the holes. Seems like Najee is more the North-South runner IMO. What an athlete. Love to watch him hurdle people! Yeah....these backs are.......we are going to think back one day and go "Wow...did those guys REALLY all play in the same backfield????" Including Robinson in that group.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.