Political Advertisements in ROW question

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
It’s been my understanding that there is a lead on the books that it is illegal to advertise in the ROW (there isn’t a punishment) but I cannot find it. Truthfully I really don’t know how to search for it.
Here’s the situation. We have a local issue going on and those in favor are sticking signs up all along the community roads. They are griping that their signs are being stolen. Here’s my understanding. The ROW extends 30’ from the center of the road. The side of the road still belongs to the property owner. Therefore these people are putting up signs on private property. My father took one of their signs because they put it directly across from his driveway on what is his property. He’s modified it to say VOTE NO but as of yet hasn’t put it back.
My question, can any of you legal eagles find the statute and am I looking st this wrong?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Alabama code 23-1-6 lays out the rules.

23-1-288 lays out penalties. (class C misdemeanor)

That said, once someone crosses your property line (and you need to be sure of this) they are trespassing and you have every right to maintain your property in the manner you wish.

If this is really a big deal then contact a lawyer prior to making any big and bold moves.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Thank you. Not looking to do something big and bold but just to alert them to actual law. Unless you can quote chapter/verse it’s just heresay. These folks can quit posting their political signs in a random manner. If they don’t want to, then we can notify the Sheriff’s office and give them the code info and let them contact the offending parties.
I don’t mind them putting their signs out but they need to keep it to the yard of the people that actually support their goal.
Alabama code 23-1-6 lays out the rules.

23-1-288 lays out penalties. (class C misdemeanor)

That said, once someone crosses your property line (and you need to be sure of this) they are trespassing and you have every right to maintain your property in the manner you wish.

If this is really a big deal then contact a lawyer prior to making any big and bold moves.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
So apparently the Sheriffs ofc has told these folks that they can put up signs at intersections.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.