Keys to Whoopin LSU

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's been 24 hours since we were already blowing out UT, so it's time to get serious about LSU!;)

What's your keys to victory???

Without getting real technical, I'll start this out by simply saying we just need to keep the pocket clean and give Tua the time to throw. We are definitely a throw to set up the run offense so I think if the passing game is working we are going to be just fine!

What else you got?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think it is pretty simple against LSU. We cannot turn the ball over. We need to make their offense drive the length of the field against us. Defensively, we need to man up to stop their running game and make Boe Jurrow beat us. They will be absolutely jacked up; Ogre will be yaw-yawing like crazy; they will want to get off to a great start. We need to execute our offense and take the crowd out of it. See, it's just like I said- simple. :)

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
No turnovers. MSU threw five interceptions last night. Turnovers will make their already raucous crowd even more insane. Playing the 50-50 passes better. Tennessee hurt the secondary doing that. LSU is good at doing the same exact thing. Burrow is not spectacular but he's a cool customer. Will be interesting to see how Aranda defends Tua. My guess is lots of bliztes, disguised coverages and linemen trying to bat down his passes. The offense has to be able to have balance and get off to a hot start. Two years ago the score was 0-0 in the fourth quarter. So interested to see how Tua handles the atmosphere and their elite athletes.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Get off to a fast start and take the crowd out of the game. If LSU manages to stop us on the opening drive or intercept one of Tua's passes then everyone starts to think this game might be different than other Bama games, LSU gets momentum and we might be in for a nail-biter.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
No turnovers. MSU threw five interceptions last night. Turnovers will make their already raucous crowd even more insane. Playing the 50-50 passes better. Tennessee hurt the secondary doing that. LSU is good at doing the same exact thing. Burrow is not spectacular but he's a cool customer. Will be interesting to see how Aranda defends Tua. My guess is lots of bliztes, disguised coverages and linemen trying to bat down his passes. The offense has to be able to have balance and get off to a hot start. Two years ago the score was 0-0 in the fourth quarter. So interested to see how Tua handles the atmosphere and their elite athletes.
With their lockdown corners, if they can pressure with blitzes and get Tua off balance and out of rythm that is their best hope to slow us down.

I believe we'll be expecting this and have a plan. Of course, if we burn them with a hot route when they try to blitz that'll slow it down fast.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
My thought after watching the SEC games this weekend is that there is no one out there who can contain a healthy TUA and the receiving group. The greatest concern I would have is the possibility of playing in the wind and rain on a wet muddy field at LSU. This would hinder or negate Tua's passing game and push the game into a question of who drops the ball nearest to their own goal line.

Without help from the weather the probability of stopping this offense then outscoring it plummets. I will let ESPN run this through their computer but my guess is that it would be well under 20%. With a healthy Tua and the receiving corp on a dry track the death ray is fully operational.

The thought of Tua throwing enough interceptions or fumbling enough in normal weather to be outscored would be referred to in statistics as a tail event. On a normal curve that puts it out into a probability of 2.5%.

What do you think?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If White's suspension is upheld, then we should be able to generate some positive yardage in the first half. Keep doing what we have been doing, making plays and etc. Right now, our playbook is so wide open, that they can't zero in on anyone and that is good. They will find a way to affect Tua, so I expect plenty of pressures by LSU defense. It won't be the same without White, so we have to strike fast. Get 28 points on board before halftime. Defense must contain the running game. This is first time in a while that LSU will try this and actually have some success with it. LSU offense is predictable and you can kinda tell what they will do.

Contain the run game and get off the field on 3rd downs, we will beat them.

If white does play, then we have to make adjustments to include quick plays. Maybe zone runs, etc.

Bottom line no matter what happens, I expect us to score between 30 to 45 points while holding them between 17 to 21 points.

FYI. This may be the game where Tua plays 3 quarters and half :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I'm having a hard time seeing the Who's being much of a challenge. They are bringing a tank to an F-1 race. If they blitz Tua will find the hole and I don't care about lockdown corners. They can't hope to cover 4 NFL WR's and an NFL TE in Smith. They may be jacked up and keep it close for a quarter or two, but they can't pass well enough to sustain drives over a four quarter game. Stop the run and dare Burrow to beat you, and I don't think he can. Load the box and dare them to get into a shoot out with the bullet proof Ferrari CNS is bringing out of that tunnel. I don't agree with Joey Galloway much, but it was obvious when asked last night he doesn't think LSU has a snowballs chance.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In short: Coach Oeaux is one coach that I fear is actually going to gamble with everything. If he hits a good percentage then we win a close one, but if he doesn’t then it’s a game we probably don’t see Tua in the 4th.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm having a hard time seeing the Who's being much of a challenge. They are bringing a tank to an F-1 race. If they blitz Tua will find the hole and I don't care about lockdown corners. They can't hope to cover 4 NFL WR's and an NFL TE in Smith. They may be jacked up and keep it close for a quarter or two, but they can't pass well enough to sustain drives over a four quarter game. Stop the run and dare Burrow to beat you, and I don't think he can. Load the box and dare them to get into a shoot out with the bullet proof Ferrari CNS is bringing out of that tunnel. I don't agree with Joey Galloway much, but it was obvious when asked last night he doesn't think LSU has a snowballs chance.
I will say this. SABAN has a history of calling conservative game especially against LSU and Auburn. So there is chance he might do that..... only if the defense has his vote of confidence.....

I don't think he will do that. He will want to score fast, get sizable lead out early and then pull his starters.. save them for miss st game.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I expect them to try to keep the game slow. They are not designed or equipped to get into a track meet. They win with defense. They held Fitzgerald to a relatively low running total and intercepted him 5 times. And they still scored only one touchdown and on that their offense set up first and goal. So getting an early lead of a couple of tds would be huge.

On defense we need to play the run first. Burrow will not beat us running it. I think they will try to exploit the middle of the field with short passes. We can let those be completed, but must limit yards after the catch. I do not see them putting together repeated long drives, so they will attempt some 50/50 passes for chunk yards. Got to do better at that.

On offense, I think we just need to be who we are. They have the best dbs we will see in the regular season. We must run well enough and use the tight ends so that they have to cheat safeties towards the LOS. If they do, they end up one on one with Ruggs, Waddle or Jeudy. I expect us to be behind their D and we have to take advantage of that. If the o line continues to give Tua time, he will pick them cleaner than a Thanksgiving turkey. We may struggle near the goal line where the WRs have less room to work, so long scoring strikes will help a lot. Convenient that we are good at that.

Finally, stay disciplined. They will try to provoke us into stupid penalties.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The same things that you always have to do to beat LSU:

* Stop the run - force Burrow to move the ball through the air.
* Stay aggressive on offense - no conservative game plan. Sling the rock.
* Another solid game from the special teams unit - nothing spectacular - just solid
* The really obvious - win the turnover battle and protect Tua

You have the better team, but they are close enough in talent that this could still be a game well into the second half.

They will play man defense the entire game to stop your running game and pressure Tua, so you will have some chances down the field, but you won't have much time to make those passes. You might have to win with shorter passes. The short stuff should be open, but LSU DBs will be holding your receivers on every play. The receivers will have to play physical football in this game. Run only enough to keep their defense in man - don't try to win this game by running them over. That shortens the game and plays into their hands.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The same things that you always have to do to beat LSU:

* Stop the run - force Burrow to move the ball through the air.
* Stay aggressive on offense - no conservative game plan. Sling the rock.
* Another solid game from the special teams unit - nothing spectacular - just solid
* The really obvious - win the turnover battle and protect Tua

You have the better team, but they are close enough in talent that this could still be a game well into the second half.

They will play man defense the entire game to stop your running game and pressure Tua, so you will have some chances down the field, but you won't have much time to make those passes. You might have to win with shorter passes. The short stuff should be open, but LSU DBs will be holding your receivers on every play. The receivers will have to play physical football in this game. Run only enough to keep their defense in man - don't try to win this game by running them over. That shortens the game and plays into their hands.
Another excellent point. Find a balance on offense.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.