Targeting Calls need a two tier system

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Offenses also weren't spread out across the field like they are today 20 years ago. That's part of the problem. Much easier to wrap up when everyone is close together. When a defender is running across the field to prevent a big play, he is going to do whatever possible to make the stop.
Eh, I’m not so sure. Most bump tackles I’ve seen are from a safety or corner trying to unnecessarily make a “bit hit” type play yet they were in a position to make a proper, wrap up tackle. I do think that even in the last 5-10 years our guys have slacked on tackling properly. Case in point, last week on one of Tenn’s TDs, Thompson came right at the TN WR and tried to knock him down with his shoulder short of the goal line. The WR just rolled off him and into the EZ. Maybe a proper tackle wouldn’t have kept him out of the EZ either, but I think it has a much better shot. Another example would be Tua’s big 3rd down conversion scramble against UGA in the NC game. Great effort by Tua, but if one of the 3 Georgia players had tried to wrap him up instead of knock him down with the shoulder we would have most likely been punting. I see this all the time with guys trying to just lower the shoulder and drop somebody from pure impact. Sometimes it makes a big highlight hit. Often it gives up additional yards as the ball carrier just rolls or glances off the hit.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.