Targeting Calls need a two tier system

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Targeting calls in current format are bad for the game. In many of the cases where the targeting call is made the offensive player changes his body position and creates a targeting that is not intentional. Would like to see the referee have the choice of imposing a lesser infraction of unintentional or incidental targeting. NCAA fixed the roughing the punter to a two tiered penalty call system by creating running into the punter. Maybe they can do the same with Targeting.

I think it is unfortunate that the LSU LB Devin White got the first half suspension for the our game. He did not look like he was intentionally trying to "target" the Miss St QB. It looks like he is even leading with his hands in order to lessen the force of contact. I hope the NCAA rules committee can come up with a way to fix this rule.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The rule needs help, but this won't work. There is no way to guess intent. The whole rule is a mess, but it only becomes more so if the officials have to guess intent.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
If they are truly going for player safety, I don’t see them moving from the current system of calling it then reviewing it. They are going to have to make everyone involved know that they are serious about blows to the head.
The LSU player could have come in with his hands up to block the view or bat the pass. Instead his goal was to light up the QB as best he could. I get that mentality, I truly do, but it seems the NCAA is intent on breaking it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Additional point: I'd support a system where a player get ejected for the game then disqualified for their next game after two targeting calls and each successive targeting penalty after two in a season.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Additional point: I'd support a system where a player get ejected for the game then disqualified for their next game after two targeting calls and each successive targeting penalty after two in a season.
This is what I think it should be. It should just be a 15 yarder, but get a second and you are gone. Treat it like an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The fix is simple: you only get ejected for the rest of the game.
I think that the whole ejection thing should be removed from the game for a 1st offense. IMO, ejections should only take place when a player is guilty of more than one targeting offense in a season. First one is just a personal foul, second one costs you a game, third one costs you the remainder of the season.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The management issue for the conferences and between the conferences on each participant's "yellow card count" is the hold up I imagine.

So what! If you care about player safety and fairness in competition then create the infrastructure to make it happen.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He made a risky play at a time where it didn’t matter. The game was won and out of hand. He didn’t need to make that hit. He was trying to pop the qb.

Stupid decision on his part

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
I think that the whole ejection thing should be removed from the game for a 1st offense. IMO, ejections should only take place when a player is guilty of more than one targeting offense in a season. First one is just a personal foul, second one costs you a game, third one costs you the remainder of the season.
I'm going to agree with the thread Op. But I don't think it has to show intent. No rule, as far as I know (of course I'm probably wrong), has an intent clause and the choices refs should be given on target would be no different.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My big complaint is when the runner lowers his head. It makes it too easy to make the wrong call on Targeting.

Maybe they should call Targeting on the runner who lowers his head...

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I mean, he did launch himself. QB’s head also kinda jerked back. Tough call. The rule is messed up but it is applied uniformly. LSU is all up in arms because it’s their guy and it’s right before Alabama. It isn’t like they’ll be like this if it was UK/Vandy.
I thought he launched as well and looks like he got him in the facemask with the crown of his helmet, as defined in the rules as anything above your face mask.

Tiggers are also upset thinking it was the same play that Mack made and didn’t get the call. Mack’s play looked bad in real time but the replay looked like he got him right above the numbers, which was pretty evident later considering the injury he left the game with.

This is what they are whining about. I managed to freeze it right at the point of impact and his facemask clearly in the chest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
My big complaint is when the runner lowers his head. It makes it too easy to make the wrong call on Targeting.

Maybe they should call Targeting on the runner who lowers his head...
Remove the blue font and you are spot-on. This has been my contention from the outset of the rule.

Especially in helmet to helmet contact. More often than not that occurs because the runner lowers his head.

Last edited:

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I officiate HS games. We do have targeting fouls, but ejection is not automatic. We can determine if it is a flagrant foul or not. If we deem it is not flagrant, it is a 15 yd penalty. If it is deemed flagrant, it is 15 yds and an ejection for the remainder of the game. I think the NCAA needs to go to something similar, especially given the speed of their game.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Remove the blue font and you are spot-on. This has been my contention from the outset of the rule.

Especially in helmet to helmet contact. More often than not that occurs because the runner lowers his head.
They have the ability to do that in HS. However, I have yet to see it called. I am assuming that it can be called in NCAA, but our rules are different.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The OP made a point about how they treated the punter situation. We have two (tiered) penalties. 'Running into' and 'Roughing'.

In essence.....they are calling this "Unintentional" and "Intentional".

So why not have "Unintentional Targeting" and "Intentional Targeting"?

Penalty would be 15 yards for Unintentional and 15 yards plus disqualification for rest of game for Intentional.

Two Intentionals within' one game for any player and he doesn't play the next game.

EDIT: I see Tidehawk just made the same point 2 posts up^^^^

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.