Saban's record with two weeks to prepare.

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
I'm pretty sure this would take some time for me to find the answer. I also know there are many,many knowledgeable fans on here who know the answer off the top of their head. If someone could tell me Coach Saban's record after an off week for his entire head coaching career not only at Bama, but LsWho, Miami Dolphins, MichState, Toledo and did I forget any? I would assume the record would be pretty good, tell me why. What does he do that other coaches don't do during that off week if any.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Not sure about Toledo, but from Michigan State on Saban is just 20-12 after bye weeks (several seasons he had 2 bye weeks). Here's the breakdown:

MSU: 3-5
LSU: 7-3
UA: 10-4

This idea that Saban is invincible after a bye week is hyperbole, but you also have to consider many bye weeks probably precede the tougher games on the schedule also.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
What's Saban's record at UA when facing teams that had a bye week prior to playing us? It seems like more than 40% of our games fall into this category.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
If you are talking about time to prepare you should take into account the first game of the season and bowl games.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Under Saban at Alabama, he had 14 byes. Last loss after bye week were at Ole Miss in 2014. Alabama's last loss against LSU after bye week was in 2011. That famous game.

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...-in-eight-of-past-12-opportunities-123614878/

I think I believe Saban is real good at gameplanning against opponents when given enough time, but I believe half of our losses was against Ole Miss, Auburn, TAMU and LSU. It's how we finish down the road. November will be brutal month for the team. I believe Saban and staff already start watching LSU tapes two weeks ago.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
What's Saban's record at UA when facing teams that had a bye week prior to playing us? It seems like more than 40% of our games fall into this category.
Bama was 4-3 in 2010. Yes, there was seven. Ga State took a bye in addition to the six in which the SEC office slammed Bama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The data follows.

Excluding bowl games and "some season openers." Bold indicates BOTH Alabama and the opponent had a bye the previous week.

Arkansas, W
Fla St, L
LSU, L
MSU, L
Auburn, L

Tulane, W (given that we played Clemson the week before, it most certainly does count)
Arkansas, W
Ole Miss, W
Ark St, W
MSU, W
Auburn, W

FIU, W (given we played Va Tech)
Tennessee, W
MSU, W
Auburn, W

South Carolina, L
Ole Miss, W
Tennessee, W
LSU, L
MSU, W
Ga St, W
Auburn, L

Vandy, W
Ole Miss, W
LSU, L

LSU, W
W Carolina, W

Ole Miss, W
Ga St, W
LSU, W
Auburn, L

Arkansas, W
LSU, W

ULM, W
ATM, W
LSU, W

ATM, W
LSU, W

Ole Miss, W
LSU, W

Interesting data

Alabama is 31-9 under Nick Saban in games where the opponent has a bye week. Four of those nine losses came in 2007 and three more in 2010.

Alabama is currently on a nine-game winning streak against opponents with an off week.

The teams that most commonly get an off week against Alabama:

LSU (3-6)
Ole Miss (0-5)
Miss St (1-3)

LSU has not beaten Alabama without the benefit of an off week since 2006.....the year before Saban arrived.

Auburn has beaten Alabama three times since Saban arrived. Two of those three times were games where Auburn had an off week while Alabama didn't. (2017 was the first time since 2006 that Auburn beat Alabama without the benefit of an off week).

Alabama is 7-3 in games where both they and the opponent have a bye week preceding the contest. All three losses are to LSU.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If you subtract the addendum games (playoff, BCS title, SEC title games, bowl games) then Alabama has played 123 games that fit the criteria. Forty games against teams with off weeks mean that it happens 32% of the time when it is possible (per the criteria).

In other words, we are playing a rested opponent almost one out of every three games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If you are talking about time to prepare you should take into account the first game of the season and bowl games.
The problem with this is that EVERY team gets time to prepare for the bowl games. I can't bring myself to believe that a 44-day layoff is more beneficial than 37-day layoff is (see 2012 BCSNCG).

As far as the season opener, I let what happened depend on circumstance. Tulane was resting while we were playing Clemson, a top ten opponent, in 2008.

The flip side, of course, is that we had a game to work out our rustiness that they didn't.

And let's face it - some of these teams (insert GSU reference) would not have been able to beat our third string if we had not had a week off anyway.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As far as opponents.......of the forty teams Alabama has played since 2007 that had an off week.....

18 of the 40 teams were ranked
10 of the 40 teams were ranked in the top ten (we are 5-5 in those and have won the last five)
6 of the 40 teams were ranked in the top five (we are 2-4)

25 of the 40 teams had a winning overall record (most had 8 wins or more)

Two (07 LSU, 10 Auburn) won the national championship.
Two more (11 LSU, 13 Auburn) played for it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.