Question: X’s and O’s...How does Bama matchup against LSU?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I will say that 50 of those yds against Georgia came on a scramble by Burrow late. I think the ypc drops drastically if you take that away from the total.
Yeah, I know it still counts. I’m not convinced Georgia’s rush defense is that good (#40). A&M’s is currently #4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of LSUs RBs averaged like 7 yards per carry and had by far his best game of the year. Also IIRC Georgia had issues with Missouris run game as well

Point is LSU isn't going to do that to us. So they'll need to create offense another way.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I will say that 50 of those yds against Georgia came on a scramble by Burrow late. I think the ypc drops drastically if you take that away from the total.
Yeah, I know it still counts. I’m not convinced Georgia’s rush defense is that good (#40). A&M’s is currently #4.

Burrows is a very good runner when he gets the chance (though he does not do it much). He is much more of a run threat than Danny Etling ever was. I am sure he will get some rush yards on Bama. Bama Defense has to be prepared for that.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Burrows is a very good runner when he gets the chance (though he does not do it much). He is much more of a run threat than Danny Etling ever was. I am sure he will get some rush yards on Bama. Bama Defense has to be prepared for that.
If LSU is smart I wouldn't be surprised if Burrow breaks a couple runs. But that shouldn't be close to enough offense to win this game unless our offense is somehow really shut down which I still don't see happening.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I think the biggest key will be Tua’s Knee. He hasn’t been the same QB since the injury and the stats show that. He has been high on a lot of throws , I think that’s because of a different follow through with the knee and/ or brace. Now that’s not an X/O but it is the X factor. Here’s X’s and O’s. If we can execute this play , our now bread and butter RPO, we will win comfortably because in that formation we can also run a standard play and get 17 or 11 or 4 deep, especially in a single high look on D thinking an RPO is coming.

[/URL][/IMG]

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
I think Nick will place LSU on the horns of a dilemma. LSU will have to think pass first based off what we have done so far with Tua. They’ll probably practice pass for 2 weeks. So what better game plan than to open up running the ball until LSU adjusts and then start throwing? I think our backs and line will have a good day initially and then the passing game will deliver the coup de grâce!

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I think the biggest key will be Tua’s Knee. He hasn’t been the same QB since the injury and the stats show that. He has been high on a lot of throws , I think that’s because of a different follow through with the knee and/ or brace. Now that’s not an X/O but it is the X factor. Here’s X’s and O’s. If we can execute this play , our now bread and butter RPO, we will win comfortably because in that formation we can also run a standard play and get 17 or 11 or 4 deep, especially in a single high look on D thinking an RPO is coming.

[/URL][/IMG]
Hopefully the bye week allows him to heal up more so that he'll have more mobility and confidence in his throws.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
This is the only thing about LSU's offense that somewhat "worries" me. They have a very physical offensive line and they absolutely man handled UGA's defensive front all game long and I'm not going to chalk that up to "UGA's DL is overrated". They may not be as dominant as they were last year but they are definitely still stout. So the fact that LSU's OL road grated them gives me a bit of concern that if LSU can get anywhere near the same type push against us as they did against UGA. It doesn't bode well for us. Burrow isn't going to win a Heisman or be on any type award list. But the guy seemingly makes key first down plays when they need them that doesn't jump out in the box score.

I think we need to use our offense to pressure every aspect of their defense early on. Even if we throw a pick. Do not let up and become conservative offensively. Because, IMO, that plays right into what they want to do. They WANT to keep the scoring low.

I just want to keep our FG kicker out of the equation for having to win it.
Georgia is not overrated but I think they may have been a little overconfident. They had no creativity on offense and were trying to do too much with Fromm and Fields. The fake field goal in the first quarter was one of the dumbest play calls I've ever seen. It reeked of desperation when, at the time, there was no need for. Everything snowballed from there.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Georgia is not overrated but I think they may have been a little overconfident. They had no creativity on offense and were trying to do too much with Fromm and Fields. The fake field goal in the first quarter was one of the dumbest play calls I've ever seen. It reeked of desperation when, at the time, there was no need for. Everything snowballed from there.
Georgia should really have two losses right now. They are very overrated.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Burrows had a 59 yard scramble. Take that out of the equation, LSU's average drops to 4.3 yards per carry.
One of LSUs RBs averaged like 7 yards per carry and had by far his best game of the year. Also IIRC Georgia had issues with Missouris run game as well

Point is LSU isn't going to do that to us. So they'll need to create offense another way.
Clyde Edwards-Helaire had 19 carries for 145 with a 47 yard run. Take that out, and his average goes from 7.6 to 5.4.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is Brossette only getting 64 yards on 16 carries (4 ypc). LSU's success clearly came on the bigger back getting the carries.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Georgia should really have two losses right now. They are very overrated.
Mizzou caught some bad breaks against them. No doubt. I wonder if Florida has a chance this week ? I firmly believe UGA took LSU not as seriously as they should have. They looked all discombobulated in all three areas and got spanked. That was almost like the Alabama vs. South Carolina game in 2010 where we just got outplayed all day.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

[/URL][/IMG]
He was 19-of-29 passes for 306 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions in 2.5 quarters.

that's a 66% completion rate (which is down from 70%) overall.

i think it's a bit of a stretch to say he hasn't been the same QB...slightly less effective maybe...not the same QB?...hardly.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Mizzou caught some bad breaks against them. No doubt. I wonder if Florida has a chance this week ? I firmly believe UGA took LSU not as seriously as they should have. They looked all discombobulated in all three areas and got spanked. That was almost like the Alabama vs. South Carolina game in 2010 where we just got outplayed all day.
I think many thought Fromm was a great qb, but really he is no better than JPW or Gmac. When the game is put on him to win he loses plain and simple. Really his best wins were against a wounded Auburn and a no defense Oklahoma. I really think UGA was better with Eason, but they like all the other fickle programs in college football go with here and now results.

The one thing that makes this game even is Felipe Franks isn’t an all star. I suspect we are either in for a slow UGA win or Florida beating them like they did LSU.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I think many thought Fromm was a great qb, but really he is no better than JPW or Gmac. When the game is put on him to win he loses plain and simple. Really his best wins were against a wounded Auburn and a no defense Oklahoma. I really think UGA was better with Eason, but they like all the other fickle programs in college football go with here and now results.

The one thing that makes this game even is Felipe Franks isn’t an all star. I suspect we are either in for a slow UGA win or Florida beating them like they did LSU.
I find it ironic that Alabama ended up with Tua because Fromm decommitted and went to Georgia with Kirby.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Burrows had a 59 yard scramble. Take that out of the equation, LSU's average drops to 4.3 yards per carry.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire had 19 carries for 145 with a 47 yard run. Take that out, and his average goes from 7.6 to 5.4.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is Brossette only getting 64 yards on 16 carries (4 ypc). LSU's success clearly came on the bigger back getting the carries.
I wish this full game was available online. Can't seem to find it anywhere only highlight videos that don't tell you the full story. I want to get a better idea of what type of runs were successful for LSU and how consistently they could run it. IIRC In the 20 minute highlight video it looks like they had a good amount of their success on outside runs maybe sweeps?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I think Nick will place LSU on the horns of a dilemma. LSU will have to think pass first based off what we have done so far with Tua. They’ll probably practice pass for 2 weeks. So what better game plan than to open up running the ball until LSU adjusts and then start throwing? I think our backs and line will have a good day initially and then the passing game will deliver the coup de grâce!
I hope Bama comes out slinging the rock. The running game keeps the ball away from some of Bama’s most dynamic players. Run the ball, yes, but IMO trying to run the ball down LSU’s throat plays into their hands.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Will our receivers still get open as easily against their DB’s? Will we be able to give Tua enough time? Will our Dline get to their QB?

Inquiring minds want to know!

With Tua they do not need much of an opening. He can deliver it in tight spots so it will not be as easy for the 10 yd pass to go 80 but he will do fine. He has hit guys that were covered like blankets. They have zero offense compared to us we will win 38-17, a more normal score but we are still the superior team in almost all facets of the game, except for kicking.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
He was 19-of-29 passes for 306 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions in 2.5 quarters.

that's a 66% completion rate (which is down from 70%) overall.

i think it's a bit of a stretch to say he hasn't been the same QB...slightly less effective maybe...not the same QB?...hardly.
I do get where he is coming from. Just a raw watch of the Mizzou & UT games vs the Old Miss & A&M games you see him missing (usually high) on passes in the 2 games since the knee. That could be caused by an incomplete follow through. Hopefully the 2 weeks of rest, recovery and just getting used to the feel of the “new normal” (if the hard brace is here to stay) will get those throws back where they were in the early weeks.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I wish this full game was available online. Can't seem to find it anywhere only highlight videos that don't tell you the full story. I want to get a better idea of what type of runs were successful for LSU and how consistently they could run it. IIRC In the 20 minute highlight video it looks like they had a good amount of their success on outside runs maybe sweeps?
The good thing is Saban has every play on tape and that is all that really matters.I have seen enough LSU playing to know we can contain them and our offense is better than their defense. LSU wil try to run and as always Nick will fill the box and force there mediocre QB have to beat us, not happening.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I viewed Matt Wyatt's Film Study of LSU vs MSU and came away feeling that LSU did not appear to be a top four offense. Recognizing that MSU also made Bama look bad last year I could be over reading it but would appreciate other thoughts on how LSU performed.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I do get where he is coming from. Just a raw watch of the Mizzou & UT games vs the Old Miss & A&M games you see him missing (usually high) on passes in the 2 games since the knee. That could be caused by an incomplete follow through. Hopefully the 2 weeks of rest, recovery and just getting used to the feel of the “new normal” (if the hard brace is here to stay) will get those throws back where they were in the early weeks.

he hasn't been as sharp...to say he's not the same QB is absurd in my book.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.